“Truly Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 33 hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Canada
“Truly Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We had a family getaway to the Banff Springs this past weekend and it was truly amazing. From the valet service, to the front desk, the concierge, the rooms, everything was perfect. We brought our kids with us for a family weekend and they had so much fun going to the hot pool, the skating rink, and the bowling alley. The food here is quite expensive so we brought a few snacks with us but everything was perfect. If you bring kids with you, I would highly recommend doing the hotel scavenger hunt as you can see different parts of the hotel and the kids get a little prize from the treasure chest when they complete it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Stanley Thompson wing with the kids and had a very good sized room (compared to a t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased that your family enjoyed all aspects of the stay, including your room in the Stanley Thompson wing. We hope you will return again.

2,680 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Korean first
Canmore, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Will not be returning for High Tea anytime soon! Very expensive for what you get....tea was served too late and the starter fruit dish consisted of an old strawberry, cut in half....3 blueberries and 1 blackberry....really that's the best they can do?? Scones, sandwiches and cakes nothing spectacular....As one of the greatest hotels in the world, Banff Springs could truly do a better job than that. Quite disappointing!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for sharing your tea experience. We are truly sorry to learn of your disappointment and a hotel representative has emailed you to learn more. We care about our standards and your experience.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

First time ever in the legendary Banff Springs. We were there in early December 2013. My wife and I wanted a weekend away and we knew this was a special place. Loved the hotel, the unique structure, the great restaurants and bars and the magnificent location. A real Canadian experience still with the lustre and charm of a bygone age. Staff were excellent although the check in and reception staff were extremely busy. We were moved to a room in the newly renovated wing of the hotel and frankly, this is not the same experience. At check in we were told this would be quieter as the hotel was quite full. Turned out we were on a main connecting corridor to the Banquet Rooms - quiet noisy with traffic until well into the morning hours. Nonetheless, we really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this to most people. We will certainly go back but this time ensure we are in the main building. This is such a lovely hotel and location we were happy despite the "room shuffle" which seemed to be standard practice at check in.

Room Tip: Look for a room facing east and check it is not on a main corridor with "people wandering the h...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to visit The Fairmont Banff Springs from Toronto and for sharing your experience. We are delighted that overall you had a lovely time. We do try our utmost to have every guest in the perfect room for their needs and certainly welcome contact from our guests directly and in advance to reconfirm anything they desire. Often we do not have contact with guests (if they booked via a third party for example) until they arrive and thus we do change some things if required when we learn more about their requirements as we want all of our guests to have the most memorable time. We certainly hope you will return again.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

First off, you'll see that I gave this 4 out of 5 stars. That's because, over-all, we were pleased with our stay. The service is uniformly great throughout the hotel and restaurants, and the hotel is beautiful with nice amenities, scenic location, and friendly staff.

However, I feel compelled to warn people about room reservations. I made a reservation online for a room SPECIFICALLY located in the main building. I by-passed the ones that said "located throughout the resort" and only selected one that said "main building." It was a non-refundable reservation that I would not be able to cancel. They charged me one night's fee up-front as a deposit. So guess what happened? I was told on arrival that there were no rooms in the main building for me, and that I was being placed in the Stanley Thompson wing. I asked for a room in the main building like I reserved, only to be told that they did not have any rooms available. How is that possible? I had a non-refundable reserved room. Did they take my deposit KNOWING the room I asked for wasn't available? Or, did they re-sell my room to someone else AFTER I had already booked it? Either way, I find that practice totally unacceptable. When I pointed out that other people were being checked-in to rooms in the main building, I was told that those were rooms of a different size than mine. I told them I was flexible on the room size, and the hotel finally found a smaller (much smaller) room that I could have in the main building. This took a while because the desk clerk had to keep going into the back room to check with management. In the end, we were tired and agreed to the smaller room. The hotel did credit us the difference in price for the room size, and promised we could be moved to a larger room the next day. So the problem would have been for the first night only (except we opted not to move after all - too much trouble); however, the fact that there WAS such a problem to begin with seems unacceptable to me. I don't know if this is a corporate business practice, or one at the local level, but I strongly feel it should be discontinued. Can you imagine the Four Seasons trying to pull this?

Other, smaller, problems included a filthy telephone (I'll try to post a photo) covered in dust; a loose/broken hot water lever in the bathroom (will try to post a photo); and a ripped bathrobe (again, will post photo).

I'm not trying to focus on the problems to scare people away, because we did enjoy our stay over-all. I just don't want anyone to be surprised/disappointed the way I was, when I THOUGHT I had my reservation all set.

On the plus side, the hotel is beautiful. The staff are all friendly and helpful. The food is delicious. We loved the heated outdoor pool, and the huge indoor pool. My son loved the curling lesson on Friday night. The hotel sent up a child's bathrobe for my son. They sent up a tin of candies and cookies. The concierge really helped with our dog sledding reservations. The ice rink and toboggan hill below the hotel was a lot of fun. The hotel is in a great location along the river. Over-all, we really enjoyed it. Just keep an eye on your reservation as your date gets nearer, and don't just assume you'll get the room you reserved, because you might not.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your review. While many aspects of your visit were as you expected and deserved, certainly some fell short. We care about this, and a Hotel Representative will make contact as soon as possible.

Wellington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

We have just spent a couple of nights in a brilliant room on the eighth floor of this amazing hotel. The views are absolutely the most spectacular we have ever seen. The staff are kind, caring and very professional and the food is delicious with particular reference to the Castello Restaurant, Italian food at it's finest, and we were looked after extremely well by Jody, our waiter for the evening. Well done everybody at The Fairmont Banff Springs, a hotel to remember for all the right reasons.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and we will be sure to share your review with our team.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I ski annually for a week. We booked the Banff Springs as a treat and, boy, we were really impressed. It started at the front desk. Jason Lewis was extremely helpful at registration and was our new "friend" for our stay. He is a real professional and is one of those people who you can tell really loves his job. .

The suite was as spectacular as the views. Living room, huge bedroom and walk in closet. The suite is called the Nicholas de Grandmaison suite after the artist.

The ski valet and transportation were brilliant. So easy. Sunshine and Lake Louise offer some of the most spectacular skiing and scenery in the world. Bar none.

After a long day on the slopes we headed to the spa. The first day my wife had a treatment and I had a pedicure. We were both very impressed. Kimberley, was terrific for a pedicure. Every day we enjoyed the facility. It is world class.

We had dinner at Grapes which is a little hidden gem of a wine bar. Very good food and wonderful wine. Samurai was the scene of a Japanese dinner for four that was sublime.

If you get the idea I was happy you would be right. I felt like the "king of the castle".

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip advisor. We are delighted that you found our colleagues to be helpful and engaging and that you enjoyed your suite, the spa, and other resort amenities. We hope this means you will be back if your travels bring you to the Canadian Rockies again.

Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The last time that we stayed at The Fairmont Banff Springs I was less than impressed for many reasons, but this stay was amazing! Check-in was amazing with Emilie and Michael finding us a room with a king bed. The view was amazing, spacious and clean.

From the taxi stand attendants to the shop keepers, we had a relaxing stay.

When we were checking out of the room I had dropped something out of my purse and next to it was a cord from a lamp. This might sound simple to some, but it was how I found the cord. They had wrapped it up neatly with a gold elastic and a chocolate coloured bow with the Fairmont logo on it. I sat there and thought to myself, what a nice touch.

Good work on paying attention to the details because those small touches are what makes the stay special.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We are delighted that your return stay was very positive and we are grateful for your renewed faith in us. Thank you.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!