“Beautiful property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save 40% Off This Fall!
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beautiful property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights on Nov 12th.
The welcome at the front desk was not very warm, I had to ask the front desk lady about the fitness room access, is there a map of the hotel and such but she seemed very annoyed so I stopped asking and thought we will just figure it out or ask someone else.
The room was so so ... We booked the Junior Suite with mountain views (room 361) and it was a bit disappointing. The view was not bad but definitely not great as per the description on the website, but not a deal breaker. The bathroom was way too small my goodness it is tiny!! Next time if we stay there again I will definitely make sure to ask for a suite or guest room with bigger bathroom.
The only other negative experience we had was at the Castello restaurant where we were greeted by the Maitre D by "Hello, I do not see any reservation for 2 tonight". It was a Tuesday night and there were barely any people in the restaurant and plenty of empty tables. That really put us off as in is that really how you greet people??
Everything else however was perfect! What a beautiful property, we had an amazing time at the Rundle Lounge and Bow Valley Grill. We also absolutely loved the outdoor pool and we may come back to the hotel just for that. All the staffs other than that "Castello Restaurant" incident was great!

Room Tip: If possible get a mountain view room and ask for a room with a bigger bathroom
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are investigating your concerns and will be reaching out to you.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
  • Korean first
Granum
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice. both times my room was over 2 hours late to be ready, staff woke me up at 5am both occasions trying to slip the bill through the door. both time paid 700 per night and had to have my room changed because was not happy with the quality off the room for price. Everything in the hotel is overpriced. however the atmosphere was amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
We care very much about your experience and want to investigate your concerns further. A Hotel representative will be contacting you.

Proudly celebrating 125 years
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed there in May 2012 as part of the Rocky Mountaineer trip. The hotel is very very different from any hotel you will see. It is like an old castle and quite big ! The restaurants are nice and the service is good. The rooms are nice but the one we got was not as good as rooms in the other Fairmont hotels so you may want to check that before going. The German restaurant was superb and quite an experience ! This is definitely a place to stay when you go to Banff :)

Room Tip: Check the room size before booking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on Trip advisor. We will share your compliments with our Food and Beverage team. They will really appreciate it.

Please visit us again.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

As a huge fan of Fairmont properties, I was extremely disappointed by the "Disneyland-feel" of the Banff Springs Hotel. The number of children running around, playing on the floors and shouting was unbelievable. This was definitely not the relaxed, classy, romantic destination promised in the tourist videos and by the website. (The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is a much better choice for this). There was a 20 minute line up outside the building just to valet the vehicle and then there was a large line up inside to check in - much like a large Vegas style resort.

I witnessed a mother in her flip flops and bathrobe in front of me in the cafe in the morning with her three shouting children hanging off of her. There were no seats available in the cafe since they were all occupied by children. There were children standing on the chairs in the lobby area by the grand staircase. I realize that the class of hotel guests is not the responsibility of the Fairmont Banff Springs, but perhaps more expensive room rates and less incentives to families with young children? It's not that I'm against family vacations of course, it's just that I was expecting more of a relaxed, romantic, classy, adult destination with the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.

The room was nice, but the bathroom was impossibly small - I understand that this is what you get for booking into an old heritage building, but a little extra room to turn around would still be nice. If you are hungry at 1am, you may read inside the compendium in your room that there is a cafe open 24 hours. When I dressed myself and went downstairs, it was locked up and the hotel was a ghost town. How can one of the most iconic hotels in Canada not have room service at night? I located a worker behind the counter who wrote down the number of a restaurant in Banff that would deliver. I was shocked that after spending all of that money on my room in the property and paying extra resort fees, that they didn't have someone in the hotel who could make a cheese sandwich for me? They have a bowling alley in the hotel, but not a kitchen that runs after midnight? Perhaps a vending machine needs to be installed in the building like a cheap motel would have to provide some convenient food options for guests in the middle of the night or some overpriced food items need to be left in the room fridge? I would have gladly paid top dollar for a bag of chips or bowl of nuts.

Again, I'm a huge fan of Fairmont properties and I stay with them all over the world and don't enjoy writing negative reviews, but this one is necessary.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, you should probably book the most expensive room you can afford to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review which we have received and shared with our executive team. We are very sorry that your personal experience was not a positive one, and we do care about that very much. We will contact you privately to continue discussion once we have discussed and fully considered your point of view. Thank you

Regina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Beautiful location with stunning mountain views! Every staff member we encountered from the time we arrived to the time we left did an exceptional job, the service was fast and friendly. The gold concierge staff took care of our every request and the Royal Service staff were friendly and polite. The linens in the room were fantastic, as was the body spray shower! The room/bathroom was small but very clean and filled with elegant furniture. The spa experience was amazing and we would definitely recommend it (go an hour early to enjoy the pre spa ritual). The hotel itself contains everything needed to have a relaxing romantic weekend, we did not want to leave, and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Stay on the gold floor! Totally worth the extra $. (If you like a quite room throughout the day, ask...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that you loved your time here with us. We will ensure the team in the Spa, Fairmont Gold and Housekeeping receive a copy of your feedback.

Proudly celebrating 125 years
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed here with my mum and daughter the last 2 days of our holiday after a reunion holiday with mums sister. Having driven, it felt, continuously for 2 weeks I was mighty pleased to hand my car keys to valet parking guy! At $10 extra per day it felt at the time a bargain and was vey happy to leave car and luggage for someone else to sort!

Our room sadly was not ready and although the helpful receptionist said someone would ring when ready, they never did. As we had stayed at Fairmont Vancouver we were offered option to join Fairmont Club. Therefore automatically did not pay for internet or daily parking.

Our room was in Stanley Thompson wing, deluxe with lounge and mountain view. Too warm even with the thermostat down?? Room very clean, high quality furniture and decor. Not sure of the room price as we booked through Prestige Travel including flights, car hire and i think you get attractive hotel rate. At the time of booking i remember thinking upgrade was good value and a 'no-brainer'!

The public areas, bars, views were fantastic. Buffet breakfast first rate.
Outside pool with my daughter watching the tops of mountains turn pink at sunset were lovely. Enjoyed the large gin/tonic by helpful waiter in outside pool. I thought it tasted rather good, and then realised afterwards a 'double' gin is equivalent to 4 of our uk shots.

We had 1 evening meal and lunchtime snack. My mother is the most fussy of eaters and i spoke to staff at grill restaurant prior to booking. Special chicken request arrived as promised!
We had had such a lovely 2 weeks holiday with the most incredible blue sky each day. So stay at The Fairmont Banff was a super finish.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We are delighted that your special trip was perfectly culminated with a stay here at The Fairmont Banff Springs. Thank you for your review.
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have been looking forward to staying at this hotel for some time now. As we live in Calgary and were attending a function we thought it would be the perfect time to try it out, as we love a 5 star experience and like to visit Banff frequently. While the architecture and history are indeed impressive, they are far outshadowed by the negative aspects. Perhaps out stay would have been completely different if our room and service were adequate. First off, I was extremely displeased to hear the "you've been upgraded complimentary to a deluxe room" Schpeel which I know is complete fabrication in an effort to make you FEEL special when in actuality you are staying in a lesser quality room. We heard numerous couples arriving be given the same drivel. We arrived to our Stanley Thompson room and were quite surprise. For $400 a night and a five star reputation, we arrive to a room the size of a closet. Now I understand this is an older hotel but it is downright bait and switch...completely disingenuous to pay such a sum and be told you've been upgraded ... If this room was an upgrade... I would loathe to see what a regular room is like. The blinds were broken, the wall had scuffs and scratches. The duvet was dirty and placed between two sheets. The queen bed was quite uncomfortable and the room sweltering hot even with the heat down a d the window open.

The parking fees are outrageous, and on top of this there isn't even complimentary Internet access!? Let me tell you, I have stayed at ramada hotels (yes, ramada,) that have free Internet, free fitness room access, free parking, and free HOT breakfast including cereals, meats, and waffles! And I have paid far less. Just because it is a "5" star hotel does not and should not mean you must pay for those things. They should be included when one is paying top dollar for accommodation already! This makes you feel completely non-valued. I want to be treated like a five star hotel appreciates my business and wants me to come back and spend my money there again, and tell my friends to do the same! That is an effective business model, but unfortunately they have not created loyalty with me yet. I do not think I see a reason to return or recommend. Unfortunate because I really wanted to try out the spa there (which was also completely booked) ugh.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FBS1888, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear reviewer,
We care very much about your experience and a hotel representative will be contacting you to discuss it further.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!