“Banff Springs historically beautiful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% OFF SPRING BREAK
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Banff Springs historically beautiful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed in the Stanley Thompson wing in a suite and it was very nice. The bathroom had been completely re done. It was large and clean. We had a sitting room with a fridge and tv, the bedroom was small but we had 2 queen size beds and another tv. We ate at the Waldhaus restaurant which is very old but quaint with a nice outdoor patio. The food was pretty much pub grub but good. The golf course was very picturesque. The spa was excellent. The pools are very nice and the area was clean it is easy to spend several hours enjoying the amenities. The massage was top notch....very good and the staff was very professional. It was an easy walk into town. The Bow Falls are right there as well. We didn't have much contact with the staff other than the spa. Check in and out was a breeze...not much direction to find room though.The hotel is an historic land mark and I don't think you would expect it to have large rooms. They have done well to keep it up and please today's traveller. If you want a modern, sleek resort this is not for you. It is expensive but you are paying for the name, location and ambiance of an old established Canadian gem!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and have shared your review with our team.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Korean first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

From the minute we left the Calgary airport and headed west to Banff, we were in awe of the stunning beauty of the Canadian Rockies. Celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary, we booked a Golf for Free package, and upon arrival, were upgraded to a deluxe room. LUCKY us.. This room was a corner with 2 windows and very large (after peeking into the rooms being cleaned down the hall….realized HOW lucky we were!) The bathroom was the smallest we’ve ever had in a hotel, but the hotel is 125 years old, so expectations of something grand just weren’t there.

Golfing at the FBS course was a highlight and the entire staff at the course treated us as Five Star guests. The golf is truly not “free”, as the room rate only included one round. The 2nd round was $230+ tax. Every hole provided another new “wow” of the mountain range, so the first day we spent a great deal of time snapping photos. Several holes (back 9) had tourists walking along the course taking pictures of the mountains, hotel and Bow River.

We dined every night at the outside Rundle patio. The views are breathtaking (understated!). The food was very good (more limited menu) and a little pricey. We opted to split menu items and switched to the local brewed beer (much less $$) the 2nd evening. What impressed us was the service—plus each server we had made us feel special and offered their unique take on the Banff area and things to do. We used the hotel gym each morning- good range of equipment and spectacular views of the Bow River valley, especially seeing the sunrise.
We joined the President’s club prior to arriving-- smart move, as we received free Wi-Fi and turndown service. Hotel was completely full for our stay, but never over crowded. There were as many visiting tourists snapping photos in the hotel as guests.

Takeaway: The hotel is historic and iconic and the service and amenities matched its reputation. It was expensive, but worth it to us -- Fairmont luxury, a gorgeous mountain setting and golfing at one of the most famous courses in the world. A real WOW experience – checking this off the bucket list with complete satisfaction.

Room Tip: Join the President's Club
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for putting The Fairmont Banff Springs on your bucket list! We love to hear when guests have visiting our hotel as a life dream, and that visiting exceeds their expectations. It means a lot to us and we hope you will return again.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs July 13-18, 2013, and as a history buff, I was excited by the prospect of staying in this beautiful "Castle" of a building. And the exterior of the Banff Springs didn't disappoint. Nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rockies and overlooking the Bow River and Mount Rundle, the imposing stone edifice appears to stand guard over the tiny town of Banff below, which is an easy 15-minute walk from the hotel. It is a beautiful structure!

We dropped our rental car off at the Valet stand and were warmly greeted by Francois, an exceedingly pleasant young man who took care of our car and offered arrangements to have our bags taken to our room. Francois turned down my gratuity, informing me that it was included in the Valet parking price (a steep $35.00 per day). So far so good.

The lobby of the Banff Springs is very nice, with beautiful flooring and lots of rich woodwork. Registartion was a breeze - it took less than 5 minutes - and the staff at the registration desk were friendly and helpful.

As we walked toward the elevators excited to see our room, we were suddenly greeted by an unpleasant aroma that resmembed...urine! Not overpowering mind you, but noticeable.

A quick elevator ride up to the fourth floor and a short walk down the hall to room 476...and the problems began.

THE ROOM
The first thing we noticed when we opened the door to our room was a dank, musty smell. Okay, the hotel is more than 100 years old, so I guess I can live with a musty smell. However, the room was extremely cramped, more like something you'd see at your local YMCA than at a world class resort hotel. And the carpet in our room was a badly faded green hue with stains everywhere. When I reached behind the bed to plug in my charger, I was greeted by a decades worth of dust bunnies and dirt. The bathroom was small and cramped with the toilet nestled snugly between the tub and the single sink. And if you happen to be using the toilet and someone opens the batchroom door, get ready for some pain because your knees are going to get whacked! There was also very little shelf space to store hygiene supplies, our tub was dirty and the shower head looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in years!

Our room didn't have the best view with a roof and air conditioning units about two floors below, but we could still see the mountain range and that made up for. I just wish the window and sill had been clean! The window does have a small opening so you can enjoy the cool mountain air at night.

The TV was a flat screen LCD that worked well, but the rest of the furnishings in the room were old, beat up and cheap...not at all what you would expect to find in a hotel of this caliber. And the more we looked at the carpeting, the nastier it appeared to get.

I found our king bed to be quite comfortable if a little soft for my taste, while my wife that it was "mushy" and "lumpy."

SERVICE
Service is a huge deal with me, and I am sad to report that for the most part, the Banff Springs disappoints. We call housekeeping the first evening to request two extra pillows and they assured us they would be right up. An hour later - still no pillows - I called again and was offered apologies and again assured someone would be right up. About five minutes later there was a very light tap at our door. We opened the door to find two pillows - without pillow cases, set on the dirty floor outside our door. I again call housekeeping to request two new pillows with pillow cases and about 10 minutes later they were hand delivered to our room, again with apologies.

Perhaps the simplest service any hotel can deliver is a wake up call, but here again the staff at the Banff Springs dropped the ball. On our second morning at the resort, we got no wake up call as requested. When I called that evening to arrange a wake up call for the following morning, I told them of the gaffe and was assured it wouldn't happen again. Guess what...the next morning it happened again. And the digital alarm clock with radio that you get at most hotels won't be found at the Banff Springs. Instead they provide a cheap little battery powered clock and alarm, and while the alarm worked, it wasn't very loud.

FOOD AND DRINKS
We only had one meal in the hotel at the Bow Valley Grill, and it was very good. We had a great server (can't recall her name) and the Filet - while not the best I've ever had - was quite good. The dessert bar was excellent with a great variety of treats to throw your diet plans off kilter.

We had drinks nearly every night at the small bar outside the Bow Valley Grill and the service was very good there with a fairly good selection of Canadian beers. The mixed drinks were also very good. Before drinking too much, remember you're at altitude - approximately 5,000 feet above sea level - and the alcohol hits you a little hard than at lower altitudes.

I had breakfast three times and it was good, but nothing great.

VALUE
For my money, the Banff Springs is not a good value. My bill for a five-night stay in a YMCA caliber room was more than $1,700.00! That includes the $35.00 per day for Valet parking. To be fair, the valet service was very good, if expensive. You can choose to self park for JUST $25.00 per day, but for my money the convenience of Valet parking was worth the extra $10.00 per day.

There is also an extra charge for in-room WIFI...really?! Charging for WIFI access? And if you want to use the indoor pool at hot tub at the spa, that's an additional charge as well unless you received a spa treatment! And because the town of Banff is located within the Banff National Forest, we had to pay $98.00 in park fees for our six day stay!

When you add it all up, the value is just not there.

SUMMARY
Would I return to Banff again? In a New York second! The town it gorgeous with a great selection of restaurants (more on those in later reviews) and centrally located to great outdoor activities.

Would I stay at the Banff Springs Hotel again? Sadly, no. I'm all about getting the most bang for my buck, and the Banff Springs Hotel just didn't deliver for me.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of Tunnel Mountain and the Bow River.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to read that we failed you, as this is certainly a loss/loss and we care very much about it. A Hotel representative will reach out to understand more about your stay.

Lake Charles, Louisiana, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked 6 nights at the Fairmont and were happy we did. The view from our room was incredible. In fact, the view from all directions was as if someone had painted a huge backdrop of mountains behind the trees. The hotel was as important to our trip as the scenery. Outstanding staff: from ease of checkin, to an excellent concierge staff, and the Grill Restaurant served great food. Is this hotel Expensive? Yes. But if your budget can allow, this will be the memory of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Bow river side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear of the engaging service you experienced and will be certain to share this feedback.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We travel a lot and I enjoy having access at hotels to their club lounges, the fairmont calls it Gold level, and I expect when I am paying for a large King suite that I would have access to the gold level. This to me would make sense, larger more expense rooms have club assess. Not at the Fairmont Banff Hotel, all the standard rooms, are on the gold floor and they are the only ones that can access the gold club lounge. I even asked if I could pay more to have access. Disappointed Fairmont in you Gold policy, and you Customer Service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback about Fairmont Gold. Our promise to guests on Fairmont Gold is that this floor is exclusively theirs, and while we do appreciate that it would be something many guests would be interested in accessing, to do so would compromise this promise and could result in overcrowding in the public areas. We are sorry for your disappointment, and do hope you will return.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights recently, and enjoyed the hotel as much as we did Banff, which means a lot. The room was good, and with a mountain view as requested. We spent some time in the hotel, and found the staff welcoming and helpful - useful when you get lost in it.

The only complaint I have, and I could say this of the other Fairmonts we visited, is the hotel charges for the bottled water in the room. Come on, bottled water costs C$1.00 a bottle, when the hotel charges hundreds of dollars a night such a cost does seem like squeezing the last dollar out of customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your time here with us, and we will share your comments accordingly.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Timeless -- sure, and the renovations (minimal) helped, but this hotel is showing its age, especially the rooms. Location still can't be beat for banff and the golf course remains top- notch. Service overall is good -- especially the doormen, valets, and bellboys. Can't comment on the food nor spa as ate in the village mostly and didn't partake in the spa this time round.

Room Tip: Renovated room a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are celebrating our 125th anniversary this year. We are delighted that you did have engaging service and hope you will continue to visit.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!