“Lovely” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

Save Saved
You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, AB
“Lovely”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a friend's birthday weekend and really enjoyed ourselves. Our room was a suite although they are old looking and warm. No air conditioning, just an open window and fan. This didn't really cool off the room during the day, but seemed to work at night.

Much of our weekend was spent in and around Banff which is a fantastic location with a ton of fun things to do.

The hotel itself is old and a little disorienting in finding which wing to turn to get to your room. Still, a character hotel with a lot of ammenities.

The staff were super helpful and trained to care for their guest with great care and attention. We ate at the breakfast buffet and it was good although a little over priced. Our friend had a dinner in the Pyramid lounge at the back and it was ok at best. The temperature in this room was very very warm and became uncomfortable. I don't believe the meals were good at all. Most people (there were about 50 of us) didn't like their meals.

We would stay here again just for the ambience and location near the bow falls. Beautiful location in the Canadian Rockies. Can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EJROE, General Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Edmonton, thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Fairmont Banff Springs when you were celebrating your friend’s birthday weekend. In addition, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment with the air conditioning in your suite, and please do not hesitate to let me know your suite number as all our suites should have fully functioning air conditioning. I was very happy to read that you found the colleagues were “super helpful” as “the Castle in the Rockies” certainly can be a little confusing due to its character and hallways, and I was pleased that you loved our location near the Bow Falls. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the very near future and I trust you had a safe trip home to Edmonton. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.

2,614 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Korean first
Blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I splashed out way beyond what we have ever paid in our lives for a hotel and stayed here to celebrate my 50th birthday. We had reserved a 2 night stay on the Romantic Getaway package which included breakfast and dinner for both nights as well as a bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival.. We also chose an upgrade if possible to a deluxe King room, which was duly available upon arrival.

From our perspective, we had read both great and poor reviews on Tripadvisor and arrived this weekend wondering which end of the spectrum we would experience.

We need not have worried. From the moment we arrived, all staff were friendly and courteous, with nothing being too much trouble. Our room, 887 in the main building was lovely, taking into account that we were up towards the turrets of the hotel, but the view.............just blew us away. As we looked out, the mountains, Bow Valley Falls and the river was just phenomenal. In fact sometimes, we sat on our window seat simply admiring the beauty below us.

Food, both at breakfast and dinner in the Bow Valley Grill was substantial and of excellent quality. Service was swift and personal with staff wishing me a happy birthday by name which was a very nice touch. Indeed, when we arrived, a birthday cake was in our room with the wine and further birthday treats were presented for dessert on my birthday yesterday.

Finally, this morning, we sat in our room cheering on Andy Murray to the Wimbledon title, in a lovely hotel with a view that is simply stunning. We will always remember where we were when Andy Murray won Wimbledon.

Thanks to everyone we met at the Fairmont (and Andy Murray) for making our stay unforgettable.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EJROE, General Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Blackpool, Thank you so much for selecting The Fairmont Banff Springs as the destination to celebrate your 50th birthday and in addition thank you so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased to read you were not disappointed, especially with the upgrade, room # 887, the bottle of sparkling wine waiting in your room, breakfast in the Bow Valley Grill, along with the swift & personal service that you received and to top it all off (which I cannot take any credit for) Andy Murray winning Wimbledon. Thank you once again for staying with us and for writing this review, and I trust you had a safe trip back to England and to the Golden Mile of Blackpool. Yours Sincerely Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed there for two nights on our way home from Yoho National Park an hour west.

We stayed on the concierge floor and had exceptional service. Our room was mid sized which was great as we were traveling with our adult son. Breakfast and happy hour appetizers were included and well done. A very nice stay aps the only disappointment were the morning scrambled eggs. That said the views and location are excellent. While we needed a car to go into Banff it was only a short drive. The town was a bit like a western version of Carmel, CA but more down to earth.

The concierge recommended a small vegetarian restaurant which was terrific. I am not a vegie. but it might be able to turn into one if I could have them cook all my meals!

I recommend the concierge floor if you can swing it. It is well worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
EJROE, General Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest from Ohio, Thank you so much for staying with us on your way back from the Yoho National Park and for staying on our Fairmont Gold Level. I was pleased to read that the Fairmont Gold Concierge and the amenities were very well received and thank you for highlighting the disappointment with the scrambled egg during the breakfast service, as I will certainly be following up tomorrow morning to see if this was a one off or if something needs to be tweaked. If there is anything that I can further assist with please do not hesitate to let me know and I trust you had a safe trip back to Cleveland. Thank you once again for the review and for staying at The Fairmont Banff Springs.Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Came here on business. The hotel is amazing. Very cool to stay in a "castle". The area is perfect. There is lots to do, the food and drink is on the pricey side but thats what you get in Banff for the most part anyway. It is a great get away for a couple days for a romtantic trip and to see the mountains. The service was really good from valet parking to food to room service. Would recomend the trip. Maybe pay the little bit extra for a view, those rooms seemed better then the run of the mill rooms.

Room Tip: no idea, my room was not that great
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you so much for staying with us during your business trip and for rating your experiences on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased to read you received some good service from valet parking, the F&B outlets and through Room Service. If there is anything that I can further assist, especially for a romantic trip, to see the mountains and to stay again in the Castle, please do not hesitate to let me know and I trust you had a safe trip back to home. Thank you once again for the review and for staying at The Fairmont Banff Springs. Regards, Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We arrrived in Banff, on our 2nd stop of a 3 week trip to this amazing country. Wow we could see the hotel, set in the forest,it looked amazing. We arrived and had already paid for parking, but upgraded to valet. The hotel is stunning, our room was nice, not massive, but had a nice bathroom, and was spacious enough, the hotel is on the expensive side. But i guess you are paying to stay in a castle?? We used the hot springs pool each day, that was amazing with views of the mountains. Breakfast was also one of the best, (we stayed at 4 Fairmont's on our travels) loads of selection, of fruit, breads etc and a very nice seating area with view of the mountain. We tried the Banffshire dining and were very disappointed. Very overpriced fine dining, my husband paid less than the advertised price as we got a "special" rate as it was their 125th birthday, but in my opinion, save your money. The gym was very nice too, but didnt get to use it as we had so much to fit in our time. In all we loved this hotel, one of our favourites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest from London, thank you so much for making The Fairmont Banff Springs and 3 other Fairmont’s a big part of your Canadian 3 week vacation and thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on Tripadvisor. I was very happy to read you “Loved this Hotel” and that you enjoyed the pools, our buffet breakfast offering and our gym facilities, however I was concerned to read about your disappointing dining experience in The Banffshire Club Restaurant. If you have time, please do not hesitate to let me know some more details, however I will certainly be following up with my team as this is certainly not indicative of the level of dining experience we are striving for. I trust you had a safe trip back to England and on behalf of the entire team thank you so much for making “Castle in the Rockies” part of your Canadian Vacation. Yours Sincerely Edward J. Roe, Hotel Manager,The Fairmont Banff Springs
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The faimont was really a pleasure. You had the feeling that you were in an old Scottish castle upon the mountains. Nature sits by the hotel with the hot springs close by and other outdoor activities such as hiking and mountain biking at your doorstep. The food is exquisite, and the outdoor heated pool can be ever so relaxing after a long day of hitting the slopes for skiing or snowboarding. Though it can be pricy, it is one of the ultimate travel destinations.

Room Tip: You do not need the ultimate room as you are probably spending your day out and about.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your positive review! We are pleased that you enjoyed the pool facilities and dining very much during your stay. We hope to see you again.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Alright people, enough complaining already! My boyfriend (now fiancé) whisked me away from Calgary for a romantic Canada Day long weekend getaway(June 28-July 1st), and it far surpassed both of our expectations! From the moment we arrived, the staff went above and beyond offering to help us with our luggage, etc. We then went to our second floor deluxe king room, to walk in and see nothing but magnificent views of the mountains and grounds! Honestly, we were speechless.

At first I was skeptical of coming here due to the higher prices compared to other Banff hotels, However, now that we have stayed here and experienced it for ourselves, it was worth every penny ! Every staff member we encountered, greeted us with a friendly smile, asking how we were enjoying our stay etc. It felt as though we were down south at an all inclusive vacation, with how attentive the staff was to us.

We often were patio side at the Rundle Lounge enjoying some celebratory drinks/just relaxing and taking in the views. Whenever a staff member heard about our engagement, they went above and beyond to make us feel very special and surprised us with complimentary champagne. It really added to the excitement of our special weekend. In the evenings, around 9pm they had an incredible musician come on and do live music, he was great to listen to, and just added to the atmosphere! (unfortunately his name slips my mind....)

We also dined at some of the restaurants, and we were very impressed with Castello, the Italian restaurant! We loved it so much, we booked a reservation twice! The servers there were very knowledgeable and outstanding.

As I mentioned we loved our room, it was very classic with old charm everywhere, from the chandelier, to the mirrors on the wall. Such a nice added touch, to the already gorgeous outside of the building.

We recommend staying here to anyone who wants to feel like they are taking a mini holiday. It was a paradise, and nice escape for us! I am hoping we will be able to plan a visit back annually, to be reminded of our engagement weekend!

p.s Highly recommend the historical tour with Dave which happens at 3pm...he was a hoot and did an excellent job!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your engagement! We are delighed that you celebrated with us and will share your comments with our colleagues. They will enjoy knowing how much you appreciated their efforts.

Any plans for a wedding at Fairmont Hotels? Let us know how we can help.

Proudly celebrating 125 years

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!