“Destination Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% OFF SPRING BREAK
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Winnipeg, Canada
“Destination Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed for three nights on business . I opted for the Gold Floor for the benefit of the lounge. The lounge is very cozy, great if you are single. My room was very small, a little disappointing - more so after I checked out a friend's room on the same floor, which were much larger and had a spectacular view - not sure my platinum status got rewarded...The bathroom is the size of a postage stamp, and no tub.
The hotel is neat though - big enough you could spend several nights here and never leave the property. Lots of nooks and crannies, several lounges . Irked me a little that I would have had to pay for the fitness centre if not on Gold Floor, and when I go back I would opt out of the Gold Experience for the sake of a tub and square footage!!! Spa is to die for - expensive, but world class.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When you first walk into the lobby you know this place is grand, then once you check in and see the view from the room it is a very special place, only a short drive to town. Rooms are very nice and comfortable, and staff very friendly and helpful. Would of loved to of stayed here for longer but I will return as one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen.

• Stayed March 2013
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you had friendly service and would love to return. We do hope that you will.

Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, one of which was complimentary due to a bit of a disastrous stay the previous year, therefore we weren't quite sure what to expect this time...

We clearly should not have worried, as we had the most amazing stay here at the Fairmont! The service was exceptional, the room simply stunning, with a beautiful view of the mountains.

We had drinks in the bar one night, so relaxing, live music and the Mojitos were amazing! But by far the best thing was the breakfast daily - you have never seen so much choice in your life! The staff are friendly and the breakfast room overlooks the mountains, so you feel like you could sit there forever.

The location and surroundings of this hotel are a once in a lifetime experience. We took a day off skiing and took a round trip walk from the hotel all the way up Tunnel Mountain, which was stunning. The views at the top were incredible, I would highly recommend this.

After a hard walk, we made use of the indoor pool, hot tub and the beautiful outdoor heated pool. I don't think you can beat swimming under the stars in the mountain air, stunning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and service provided and we hope to see you again!

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

wow they made a fuss of us for our 1st wedding anniversary - beautiful room with stunning views, bottle of champagne in the room on ice and as we had upgraded to the Gold Floor, we had amazing service. Car keys taken off you at the front of hotel, suitcases disappeared, priority check in (own separate lift!) in the private reception area upstairs just for starters..
Our room was still being made up ( we got there early - excited!) so we were shown to the private Gold Lounge which was beautiful with a huge fire, complimentary bevarages and snacks and loads of windows with STUNNING views of the mountains and river - brilliant photo opportunity. The bar is an Honour Bar so you list the drinks you take ( alcoholic) and pay later.
Our room was fabulous and spacious - lovely bathroom and fluffy robes too!
We headed down to the golf course area to the Waldhaus pub and restaurant which is a hidden gem on the property,,, views spectacular... enjoyed a beautiful Okanagan valley Extra Apple cider - so refreshing on ice - lovely smooth taste.
Also spend some time in the pool areas as they are lovely too - indoor and out.
We didnt eat in the hotel as had reservations in Banff town - easy to walk to or just a short cab ride away. Did NOT want to leave the next day and vowed to come back! You have to go - even for just one night - its expensive but worth every penny/ dollar!!

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor if possible!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you so much for your very positive review of your Fairmont Gold experience! We are glad that you didn't want to leave and hope you will return soon.

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was fortunate enough to recently stay at this beautiful hotel and I have to say that it is one my most favourite properties. The hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, the hotel itself although large had a very homely feel about it. I was there during winter so the whole place was decked out in Christmas declarations and smelt of cinnamon and just had a turkey magical vibe. I would highly recommend this property to families and couples alike. The hotel has an amazing spa and an indoor pool and during the summer months there is a world class golf course out the back of the property. Something for everyone. The Fairmont Gold rooms are great value for money as well as they are located on a whole floor of their own and you have access to a lounge all day and night with snacks and drinks, tv, magazines and even iPads.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Fairmont Banff Springs would like to thank you for your positive review of Fairmont Gold. We are so happy that we are one of your favorite hotels and we will work hard to ensure we continue to be!

Calgary Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Always a treat to stay at the Banff Springs. The first room we got was gorgeous, high ceilings and antique furniture, but smelled like something foul; after calling to front desk, we were quickly given another room, smaller, more modern, but with a view. It was an ok upgrade for what was a busy weekend at the hotel. We enjoyed the pool, and plenty of wandering around this gorgeous castle.

We got a complimentary breakfast, what a fantastic spread they have, don't miss this!

I love how they do not beg for tips at this hotel, in fact the Bellman declined our tip, making things feel less awkward when you are using services like valet. Valet is a great value, by the way, if you choose to use it.

Never felt like I was out of place in my ski bum clothing!

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade or complimentary breakfast!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to know that when you expressed a concern, that we were able to respond appropriately and that you had a nice stay.

Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Banff Springs for a business meeting mid-February; it is SUCH a lovely place!!

I had a "delux mountain-view room" with a king-size bed, and the view really was beautiful! The bed was comfortable, although I must admit, I do love Westin beds a bit more, but it was a really close comparison.

The bathroom was a bit small as other's have mentioned, however - it's a bathroom, I wasn't planning on having any parties so for one or two people to use its perfect. I appreciated its cleanliness and the tub was WONDERFUL! It was super clean and HUGE! I'm 5'7 and decided to take a bath and I was able to stretch out and enjoy a proper soak, I was able to be completely submerged!! Loved it! If I had been skiing I can see this a major plus to staying here.

The room had a kuerig coffee machine which was also appreciated, although the coffee I made tasted a bit funny and I don't know if it was because the machine was stored closed and I noticed condensation inside of it (maybe there was old water still in it?). They did have individual creamers in the fridge as well, which is nice instead of whitener.

I don't like to have supper by myself and when I do, I went down to the pub (Waldhaus, pub not restaurant) and had a really enjoyable meal at the bar. The staff are all extremely friendly, helpful, and genuinely enjoy their jobs. This stood out for me because in my home city customer service is lacking, and many people just 'do' their job, not enjoy it. It makes for a much more pleasant experience overall. I had the buffet breakfast and again, very delicious and was really pleased with the amount of variety available. (I LOVE breakfast food, they had every imaginable type, I especially liked the berry compote they had available for your outmeal) I ate a lot :)

When I went to the pub I noticed the sidewalks were very clean and maintained, and the little balcony looking over the golf course at the pub had a great view of the skating rink they have made. I wish I had more time to go skating!

I explored the hotel a bit and it was very clean throughout, and of course very beautiful.

Overall I enjoyed my experience here and loved it. I guess it depends on the funds available, if I were staying for a romantic weekend I think its worth the extra cash, for a trip to Banff to go skiing or exploring, I would perhaps stay somewhere more budget friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us via Trip Advisor. We are so pleased that you experienced warm and hospitable service from our colleagues, especially at the Waldhaus! This newly renovated restaurant and pub is a delight both in service and ambiance. We hope to see you again.

Proudly celebrating 125 years

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!