“One Night Stay - Really Great!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
FREE SKI PASSES
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, AB
“One Night Stay - Really Great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Banff Springs for a business meeting mid-February; it is SUCH a lovely place!!

I had a "delux mountain-view room" with a king-size bed, and the view really was beautiful! The bed was comfortable, although I must admit, I do love Westin beds a bit more, but it was a really close comparison.

The bathroom was a bit small as other's have mentioned, however - it's a bathroom, I wasn't planning on having any parties so for one or two people to use its perfect. I appreciated its cleanliness and the tub was WONDERFUL! It was super clean and HUGE! I'm 5'7 and decided to take a bath and I was able to stretch out and enjoy a proper soak, I was able to be completely submerged!! Loved it! If I had been skiing I can see this a major plus to staying here.

The room had a kuerig coffee machine which was also appreciated, although the coffee I made tasted a bit funny and I don't know if it was because the machine was stored closed and I noticed condensation inside of it (maybe there was old water still in it?). They did have individual creamers in the fridge as well, which is nice instead of whitener.

I don't like to have supper by myself and when I do, I went down to the pub (Waldhaus, pub not restaurant) and had a really enjoyable meal at the bar. The staff are all extremely friendly, helpful, and genuinely enjoy their jobs. This stood out for me because in my home city customer service is lacking, and many people just 'do' their job, not enjoy it. It makes for a much more pleasant experience overall. I had the buffet breakfast and again, very delicious and was really pleased with the amount of variety available. (I LOVE breakfast food, they had every imaginable type, I especially liked the berry compote they had available for your outmeal) I ate a lot :)

When I went to the pub I noticed the sidewalks were very clean and maintained, and the little balcony looking over the golf course at the pub had a great view of the skating rink they have made. I wish I had more time to go skating!

I explored the hotel a bit and it was very clean throughout, and of course very beautiful.

Overall I enjoyed my experience here and loved it. I guess it depends on the funds available, if I were staying for a romantic weekend I think its worth the extra cash, for a trip to Banff to go skiing or exploring, I would perhaps stay somewhere more budget friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us via Trip Advisor. We are so pleased that you experienced warm and hospitable service from our colleagues, especially at the Waldhaus! This newly renovated restaurant and pub is a delight both in service and ambiance. We hope to see you again.

Proudly celebrating 125 years

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Korean first
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights on September long weekend in 2012 for our 3 year wedding anniversary. This hotel did not disappoint! From the moment we pulled up in front of the hotel we were made to feel special! The front door men were more than polite, addressing us as Mr. and Mrs. Funk, and handled all our luggage to take it up to our room. Check in at the front desk was a breeze and everyone was more than polite and helpful. Our room was fantastic! After reading reviews on the rooms being a little on the smaller size due to the nature and history of the hotel, we opted for a suite which was HUGE for just the 2 of us! We hardly used the 2nd room "living room" part of the suite, as the bedroom part also had a tv, but the view from that room was worth the price of the suite!! It looked over the river and mountain valley... Ill never forget that sight.
The hotel in itself is right up our alley as far as style and the history goes. Beautiful architecture and fireplaces, furniture and suits of armor. We spent a good couple of hours walking around the hotel at night, taking pictures and exploring and the outside grounds are just as impressive!
We ate dinner in town one night and the last night we ate at the hotel, at Waldhaus pub which is a few minute walk from the actual hotel but worth the scenic little gaunt, feels like you're going somewhere special! It overlooks a section of the golf course and we got to see a whole bunch of elk! The food and service there were fantastic! Our server was young and fun, attentive and personable. Leaving the pub, it was raining and some nice people let us share their shuttle back to the hotel. We had the breakfast buffet the following morning in the hotel, the restaurants name just slipped my mind but it was fantastic and again everyone was so friendly and helpful.
All in all this hotel met and exceeded our expectations. I will remember our stay forever and we look forward to returning again soon!!

• Stayed September 2012
We are delighted that you felt special while a guest in our hotel. That is certainly what we strive for and hearing that you had a wonderful time is motivating for us. We will share your feedback with our team!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Yes, it is costly, but it is worth the price. The views are all gorgeous and you absolutely feel like royalty staying in this castle in the mountains. The pool area is fantastic and being able to swim through the tunnel into the heated outdoor area is quite the experience. Highly recommend this for a special occasion trip to Banff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor Review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed our outdoor pool - it is amazing in the winter, especially with snow falling!! We are glad to know you loved it too.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I took my large family here during a conference in December, and made lifelong memories. You can't beat the location, the staff really helped accommodate kids under 10, the restaurants were classy but not stuffy, and the pool was be featured in a famous photo of the kids swimming outdoors in -20C.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased that you loved the outdoor pool experience. Certainly the 'art of bathing' is steeped in history here in Banff, as we celebrate our 125th anniversary here at The Fairmont Banff Springs. Please do visit us again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Like many other reviews said this hotel is just beautiful! We upgraded to the tower room and well for the first 30min we just stared outside the window in awe! the room is small but cozy with huge very comfortable bed, table with chairs, coffee & tea amenities with great coffee and coffee machine. Spacious bathroom with top notch toiletries.
The hotel it self is magnificent and everyday they do a tour of the grounds that is worth doing if you're interested. We ate at the bar and one of the restaurants and it was beautiful food.
The town is a 10min walk away with everything you need.
When it comes to parking i would recommend you go with valet as it's only $10 and the parking i a bit tricky but not impossible to manage if you prefer.
The staff are amazing and very helpful, they helped with organising our 'around the area' trips and gave us heaps of helpful hints on visiting some places at certain hours.
Overall we will definitely come back to Banff and to Fairmont, it's magnificent!

Room Tip: if you can upgrade do it, it's sooooo worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We have shared it with our colleagues here as positive feedback is always appreciated!!

We do hope you will return again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed 13 nights following a long flight from London. I thought that perhaps the gold floor might be a bit OTT and therfore booked a room with "a preferred view" and got a better rate by paying in advance. We were well-pleased with my choice and we were rewarded with a magnificent outlook over the Bow valley. As I am a keen photographer I was dismayed to find that the windows are locked shut and cannot be opened. Perhaps this is to stop guests falling out! However, the concierge was most sympathetic and kindly directed me to a fire escape exit high up in the building which adequately resolved the difficulty. Similarly, all the other staff with whom we came into contact were unfailingly helpful and courteous.

The buffet breakfast was excellent with a wide choice and is highly recommended.

As other reviewers have said, this hotel is quite unique and magnificent although its very impressive sombre external architecture sometimes leads it to be rather unkindly referred to as "Colditz"!

The location is a few kilometres from the town - more than a short walk.

Room Tip: Best bedroom views are from those located facing Bow Valley and Tunnel Mountain.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to complete and post a review of your stay on Trip Advisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the Gold Floor and the service provided by our colleagues. We hope you were able to take many memorable photos that you will enjoy for year to come.

Proudly celebrating our 125th anniversary
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is one of those properties, where you can do nothing but stand in awe of it.

The hotel is unique and spectacular. Stayed here on the company's dime and loved every minute of it. Will be returning with my in-laws and wife for them to share in the experience I had. When I looked at the prices I was a little shocked ($600 a night), but even in spite of that, I feel like a night is worth it here. The difference being, if it was $300 or $400 I would probably recommend staying 2-3 nights. Of course, if your budget allows it, you must stay here.

There are few hotels like this in the world. They are a genuine escape to a wonderful a place. The rooms, the beds, the showers, none of it matters. What matters, is how you feel when you are in this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are always pleased to know that our guests feel that this Castle in the Rockies is as special as we do. We do hope you will return again.

Proudly celebrating 125 years

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!