“Magical place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fairmont Banff Springs

You added The Fairmont Banff Springs to your Saves list
The Fairmont Banff Springs
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   405 Spray Avenue | P.O. Box 960, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
40% OFF SPRING BREAK
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Magical place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked a mountain view deluxe room on the gold floor for 11 days covering Christmas and New Year. We were given a room with a fantastic view of the Bow Valley, and throughout the holiday from sunrise to sunset the view was ever changing and breathtaking. The rooms are very clean and the beds are big and comfortable. Other reviewers have commented on the small size of the bathroom, and this is true, but the layout is efficient and the shower is excellent so as long as you go expecting a small bathroom it shouldn't be an issue. Our only concern about the room is that the doors to the corridors are not soundproofed, so you can hear any noise made by staff or other guests as the go past your room, but this was easily resolved with a pair of earplugs.
The lounge on the gold floor is a major benefit, with an excellent breakfast buffet with a good range of fresh fruit, pastries, and a few hot options, and a lovely place to relax during the day or evening with a well-stocked honour bar.
We were staying primarily for relaxation and a ski holiday, and the ski concierge service is very good. Although the bus service is good we probably underestimated just how long it takes to get to the ski areas. When we didn't ski, the walking options from the door through the woods, or in to town, and the Willow Spa were excellent alternatives.
Finally but perhaps most imortantly, the main reason we gave Banff Springs a 5 star rating is because of the very high calibre staff on Gold Floor. They were all, without exception, welcoming, personable, knowledgeable and helpful. As examples, we lost a ski pole on one of the ski buses and mentioned this to Claire on recepton, who secured and delivered us a rental one within the hour in order that our lesson early the next morning was able to go ahead, and Michael gave us excellent recommendations for dining.
Our holiday was everything we hoped it would be, and we will seek to return during a summer season.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
The Fairmont Banff Springs is pleased to receive your positive review and will share it with our team!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (885)
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent 3 nights at the Banff Springs and I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. The staff were amazing. Everyone from valet services, restaurants, hotel administration, to the front desk staff was helpful, friendly, and attentive.

The hotel is pricey, no way around it. But it was a wonderful new year's splurge. We had a room on the 9th floor with amazing mountain and river views. The room was small for sure, almost a bit too small. Especially for all the luggage we had with us. The one downside was that there wasn't much storage space for our bags - there was one small closet that barely fit our coats and not much floor room to place our bags. But it was a small downside as the rest of the stay was incredible.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. It was an amazing place to spend new year's eve. It is a grand castle in the midst of the most beautiful mountains. Fabulous hotel!

Room Tip: The 9th floor with mountain views was amazing. Quiet and comfortable. However, the room was quite wa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are very pleased that you had a wonderful time and memorable service from our colleagues.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

It was a long held wish to splurge and stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. I spent a year in Banff 10 years ago and have always wanted to go back and stay at this amazing hotel. We arrived in the middle of October and it was nice and quiet without huge numbers of tourists. Colder than I thought it was going to be though – about 5 degrees and getting colder. We drove from Calgary under clear sunny skies and within three days we had a bit of a winter wonderland with the first snowfall of the season.

I joined the Fairmont Presidents Club prior to arrival and used the priority check in counter on arrival. We chose to upgrade to the Fairmont Gold Floor after being advised the rate which was a surprisingly reasonable amount. I’m so glad we did, it was such a treat and this stay was a highlight of our USA/Canada trip. The rooms were beautifully appointed and our room overlooked the front of the hotel and down towards town. A nice view - I’m sure the views were better on the other side of the building -but I was just happy to be there. The bathroom was nice but tiny with no bath but an amazing shower. We had a comfortable king size bed but it seemed it might have been positioned incorrectly? My husband’s feet were hanging over the edge which hasn’t happened before in other kings. The first night I struggled to sleep with strange noises coming from the heating vent and tried to stop myself from thinking about ghosts as the hotel is supposedly haunted.

We absolutely loved the lounge on the Gold Floor – huge fireplaces with comfy chairs, all day access to non-alcoholic beverages, honesty bar, evening canapés etc. The continental breakfast was nice and plentiful and they had a great coffee machine. The only criticism would be that the hot breakfast items were a bit hit and miss and they need to make bacon a regular feature not a sometimes one! One day I spent almost the entire day in there - relaxing, quietly reading, and enjoying the hot chocolate.

The Gold Floor Concierge staff were great and we had a few laughs with them during our stay. One day I chatted to Alex about travelling to Radium Hot Springs - how far it was from the hotel etc - and I mentioned that I had been to the Banff Upper Hot Springs before. My husband and I then decided to drive out to Radium but turned around after we got to the turn off as it was going to be another 100kms. Decided to just go to the Banff Upper Hot Springs and not waste our day driving so far. Unfortunately it was closed for renovation. When we went back to the hotel, I mentioned to Alex’s colleague Claire (McCann?) that it would have been helpful if we had been advised the Banff Upper Hot Springs were closed. She said the hot springs were actually due to re-open that day but the Gold Floor Concierge had received an email after we had left saying the re-opening would be delayed another week. Claire then told me about the hotel’s spa and mineral pool experience and said I should definitely try it. It was about 7pm (closing at 10pm) and I thought it was too late, perhaps I’d try it another day. Claire then told me to pop down there and she would arrange complimentary entry for me - very thoughtful and great service, she really went the extra mile. The mineral baths were great and I really enjoyed the experience.

The next night we went to try out the outdoor heated pool which was amazing. Unfortunately we were there for maybe 20 minutes and there was a power black out so we had to get out of the pool. Almost all the lights were out in the hotel except in the lobby and strangely, on the Gold Floor. Got a workout climbing the stairs to the 5th floor and then saw Alex at the desk and had a laugh about how every time we saw him something didn’t work out but wasn’t actually his fault. A good guy with a good sense of humour...we may have teasingly said “this is the worst vacation ever!”. As if! To compensate for the black out, the staff opened the (now closed) lounge and started serving guests complimentary drinks and we got to chat with some really interesting people by the fireplace sipping champagne – tough gig :)

Found all the hotel staff to be friendly and professional. I took the historic tour which was very interesting and a good way to explore this massive hotel. Good stories but no ghost stories which is what I really wanted! We didn’t eat at any of the hotel restaurants as we chose to go into town for dinners. My husband became acquainted with "The Boot" at the hotel’s Waldhaus Pub and apparently enjoyed the experience (apart from the obligatory hangover he received the next morning).

We also stayed one night at the Chateau Lake Louise but in hindsight, we should have stayed at the Banff Springs another night. We enjoyed this hotel much more and felt the service and facilities better.

Will definitely be back to this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at The Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have shared it with the Gold floor team, and the team at the Waldhaus, as they will enjoy knowing they provided memorable experiences for you. We hope to see you again.
Sherwood Park, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My love and I decided to spend two nights over New years at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel...our favorite Castle in the world and a place we visit at least twice a year. Although our room had a view overlooking some sort of equipment, the room was very clean and quite comfortable. The hotel was fully booked (all 750 rooms) and very, very busy, but the service and quality was outstanding in all areas of the resort. Although everything was rather perfect, I must say the highlight of the stay was the New Years Day brunch. The selection and quality of the food was beyond fabulous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty and we are very pleased that you visit us a few times each year. Our team will be delighted that you enjoyed the brunch so much. Thank you!

westport, ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We are a family of four that stayed at the hotel for seven nights..the skiiing is terrific, the town is wonderful and easy going, the hotel is top-notch and everyone is very friendly, helpful and inviting. We took two rooms next to each other in the original part of the Fairmont hotel (which I recommend highly, very much like Ashford Castle in Ireland) for the four of us which worked out well. For rooms choose either mountain view , front or back of the hotel is equally stunning. My advice: fly into Calgary (for us we flew from NYC to dallas and then YYC) , stay overnite in the Delta Hotel right at the airport (walk across from YYC arrivials), next morning have breakfast at hotel and take the Banff-Airporter Shuttle to Banff. No need to drive on snowy , icey roads when the vistas are the real attraction. Sit back and relax and let them do the driving. There is NO need to hassle with a car at the hotel as there is plenty to do without having to drive anywhere . (If you come in the summer then I might rent a vehicle to sight-see but not for the winter!) Buy a big3ski pass (4 of 5 day skipass is cheapest) that includes the shuttle transport to the ski mountains from the hotel. That way you can take it easy and enjoy the view. Take notice: this is NOT a ski-in ski-out type resort. You are here for the natural beauty, the open expanses, the welcoming people and the variety of things to do...oh, and the fabulous skiing. Yes of course you will ski.(our conditions were cold but FAR better snow conditions than anything in Vermont/NH and a whole lot less crowded!! ) From the hotel you can also snow-shoe, cross-country, take curling lessons (harder than it looks!!), enjoy the incredible spa, enjoy the indoor and outdoor pools , work-out in the gym or shop at the boutiques in the hotel or those that are a short walk/taxi into town. Breakfast at the hotel is great !! If you want something quicker and lighter there is a 24 hr pantry (great for teenagers!) with terrific quick food. Restaurants in the hotel are expensive but very nice and varied. We loved the Japanese restaurant Samurai and recommend the sukiyaki dish!! But all the hotel restaurants are very good. You must indulge by ordering a (Molson) Canadian draft before you leave town...there is nothing better than this in lower 48!! The ambiance of the hotel is wonderful, very efficient service and well-coordinated. If coming for the XMAS holiday: I recommend coming early and skiiing as much as possible before the new year weekend as it gets VERY crowded on the slopes then. For example we left dec 22nd and arrived the 23rd at Banff; skied 24,25,26,27..and had terrific weather and low crowds. By the 28th and 29th it was getting very busy with the Calgary crowd coming out for the weekend. That is when we chose to curl, ski on the lake which is on the hotel property, snow-shoe and cross country ski thereby staying off the slopes. (We like the mountain to ourselves). The hotel also offers holiday activities which are a hoot no matter what your age (unless you are dull) such as ; gingerbread house decoration, cookie decorating, Santa send-off , bingo and five-pin bowling.. Loosen up and have some fun after the incredible spa enjoy jazz musicians in the Rundle Lounge or take in a moonlit walk along the ski path with a guide. This is about as close to the Alps as you can get without having to cross the pond. I have skied nearly every resort in the French Alps and this "paysage" is the closet thing to the Alps in North America. Enjoy it ! Immensely...
[P.S . my children are now teenagers but if I had little ones I would take them here for a very magical Christmas experience..grandma and grandpa would love it too !!]

Room Tip: I prefer the original part of the building..both sides have excellent views..but if you are likeme...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate the detail and positive feedback in your review so much! Those of us that live and work here know that as a destination our attractions (skiing being one big one!) are world class and it is really encouraging to know you felt the same way about our hotel and the beauty of Banff National Park. THANK YOU!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a top floor room with the same view over the river as the picture above, it was captivating, such a stunning view. The room we were in smelt of paint thinners, so much so we had to turn off the air con, whether this was fresh decoration or what im kot sure. We only stayed foe one night so we put up with it in true brit style! Hotel was in a stunning location, restaurant food was surprisingly good given the mediocrity of the food we had experienced on the journey from Vancouver. This is an amazing hotel with amazing views, but at an expensive premium.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed the views and the culinary delights in The Fairmont Banff Springs.
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Me and my family stayed here over christmas, and let me just say that it was amazing. I have been reading alot of reviews about the staff service being poor, and I just gotta say those people must be awfully picking, during our stay we actually encountered quite a few problems, but the staff here was so accomadating and so eager to fix our problems, it didnt even matter. We have never been treated so well at a hotel before. My only complaint would be how expensive the food and drinks are, you do need to remind yourself that they are world class chefs from around the world, and everythig I ate here was AMAZING, but after paying so much for a room already, its a little sad when you pat $16 for a cocktail and $20 for a burger. When we stayed we had the breakfast buffet, as well as three dinner buffets in the Bow Valley Grill, and I dont think Ive ever had a better meal. That being said, it was a little disheartening paying $4 for my iced tea. And dont even get me atarted on the spa, it was so wonderful that we actually extended our stay just so we could spend another day there. The waterfall pools are so refreshing and relaxing, and the views from the relaxing are spectacular. I even started making my own cucumber and mint water after I got home. I absolutly loved my stay at the Banff Springs, and even though I only live little over an hour away, we WILL be back. I cant stress enough how wonderful the staff was, we were there over christmas, their busiest time of year, so it was understandable that there were a few hiccups here abd there, but everyone was so accomadiing it didnt even matter. Our stay there was magical

• Stayed December 2012
We are very pleased that you had your best Christmas ever and enjoyed the quality of food, the luxury of the Spa and the warm and personal service you received. We hope to see you again.

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Been to The Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!