“They aim to please” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

Save Saved
You added Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge to your Saves list
Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   459 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Banff
Toronto
“They aim to please”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just had to write and share what outstanding service I received at the Delta Banff on my recent visit to this property. From the moment I arrived at the door, and front desk (ridiculously early to expect a room...!) I was treated like a VIP. From Carla at the Front Desk to Aaron at the Door who convinced me that Sunshine was the place to ski that day (vs Lake Louise) I could do no wrong. And, what a ski day it was! Nothing but powder and fresh tracks all day there.

Upon late day return, I soaked in the hot tub and freshened up for some evening business in town. On the way out, I asked Luke for a recommendation on a restaurant in town, and he strongly recommended The Bison....I had suggested I wanted a 'special' steak house, and he was bang-on. My first experience with bison....a rib-eye to be exact, will not be my last.....what a restaurant, That place is worth the trip to Banff alone. Another review? Maybe.

Back to the Delta. It is not over-the-top fancy, it is simple and efficient and the rooms are perfect, they have everything you need. Plus, more importantly, I feel it is priced (sub-$200/night) fairly.

This was my second time staying here an I will go back again next year. .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! It is wonderful to hear that you are a returning guest to our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciat the kind words about the level of service you received and for recognizing a few of our Front Office employees. I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager to ensure they receive proper recognition. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Kinds Regards

630 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
St. Albert, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

On a recent Thanksgiving weekend trip to Banff, I stayed at this hotel because I wanted something that was within walking distance to the main shops and restaurants. Parking in Banff can be nightmare, so it was lovely to be able to stroll along the main street with the mountains in the background. Banff is absolutely beautiful, but can get very crowded, especially on holiday weekends. My room was on the main floor at the back of the hotel, and was quiet and well-appointed. There was a fireplace, table and seating suitable fo one person - for two it would have been awkward. The bathroom was very large and nicely decorated, lots of fluffy towels and well lit (one of my pet peeves about hotel bathrooms!). My main issues are with the cost of the meals in the hotel restaurant and through room service, and all the add-on charges that these days seem silly (cost of using the room land-line, room service charges, etc.) The valet parking was $12.00 per day, but I was glad to have it since the underground garage was tricky to get in and out of. This is a good hotel, just be prepared that you will add a number of charges on top of the room rate when you reserve.

Room Tip: If you have a room facing the main street, it could be noisy because this is the main street into/ou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

A bit of a curate's egg of a hotel, with some excellent points and some pretty poor ones. We were there during renovations in October 2012, but the building work did not affect us too much (though like others have complained, there was no advance warning). Our room was nice: well decorated, comfortable, with a good bathroom and amenities. It felt quite luxurious but was small, and did have a terrible view over some down-at-heel housing next door with junk-strewn garden. Not the hotel's fault I guess. Nice touches included iced water in the lobby and morning newspapers, and wifi was free with a voucher from reception. Staff varied in both attitude and competence. We had a disastrous dinner in the fine dining restaurant Evergreen: not the food, but the service and organisation. The hotel manager admitted fault and made a deduction from our restaurant bill. The hotel is on a very busy main road, so having a window open was not possible. It is a healthy 10-minute walk into town, but as others have noted, that could be a good thing during really busy periods when the town would be a lot busier and noisier than during my visit. Overall a good hotel but not one to rave about or dream of returning.

Room Tip: Try not to overlook the run-down housing to the side or main road to the front.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We go to Banff early November, as it is quiet and peaceful then. I belong to the Delta loyalty program (free) and found their customer service amazing. We stayed in a Premier room with the fireplace with a king size bed. The room was spacious, with one sitting chair (an additional one would have been perfect) a desk and chair, a large screen flat tv and small fridge. Our view was of Cascade mountain which was amazing. The bathroom was very big with a large closet (containing a safe). The bathroom was separated: bath/shower and toilet in one room, sinks/make up area with coffee maker and tea kettle in another. Rooms were clean. Every night we had turn down service (loyalty benefit). The staff here are very friendly and helpful. Their customer service is amazing. Usually at night there is a fire going in the lobby fireplace with tea and fresh apples available. This hotel is about a 4 block walk from Main Street Banff, a nice walk in good weather. The restaurant is nice with good food although a bit pricey. There is underground parking ($12.00 daily) - they clean your windshield which is nice. I did not try the spa or pool, so cannot comment. We have stayed at most of the higher end hotels in Banff, but they do not make you feel Ike you are appreciated like the Delta does.

Room Tip: Join their loyalty program for free - there are good benefits if you do
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, General Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest;

Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted to learn of your experience while staying with us and that find our hotel to be comfortable with very helpful and friendly staff.
Your feedback has been shared and is appreciated. We hope you return soon!

kind Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel multiple times in Banff. Hotel is not cheap, but none of them in Banff are. Hotel is within walking distance of downtown, which is nice. It is a little removed from the craziness that is downtown Banff, also nice in my opinion. I have continuously received exceptional service from the staff at this hotel. On one trip we had indicated we were there for our anniversary, and we had champagne and treats in our room waiting for us, no charge. I have found it to have great value for the price when taking Banff into consideration. All hotel rates in Banff will always be expensive. The restaurant in the hotel is also of good quality, and worth visiting. I will visit this hotel again regularly when in Banff. The rooms here are always clean and are of good quality as well. I recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback and to mention the Evergreen restaurant . Your review has been shared and is appreciated.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very excited to spend the evening in Banff at the Delta. When booking, we thought the pictures on the website looked nice and the Delta name usually lives up to higher standards - not to mention that we paid a premium to stay here.

The outside of the hotel looks very modern and inviting but nothing inside this hotel screams 4-stars. Our stay started off poorly as the parking garage was full and difficult to maneuver. After driving around the block a few times we parked in the loading zone and informed the front desk of our problem. They offered to valet the car, we were satisfied with the resolution to this issue and happy to see that we weren't charged for parking. ** Note they charge for parking, which is uncommon for the majority of hotels that do not charge in this area.

The room was tiny and outdated, however clean. The hot tub look very inviting with the lovely stone work but was uncomfortably hot. We lasted about 5 min, but perhaps this was our intolerance.

I would like to point out that the staff were incredibly friendly. I score this so low as our expectations on value were not even close to being met. I don't recommend staying here if you're looking for a true 4 or 4+ star experience in Banff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest;
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the lack of space in our underground parking as a few parking stalls are being taken by constrcution materials for the existing renovations.
Please accept our sincere apologies in this regard.
I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly (1-800-661-1379) and ask to be directed to the General Manager

Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to Banff for a friend's wedding and they chose the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. A bit pricier then some of the hotels we've used before but it was there special day so we booked it to be close to them.

I will say the hotel was great to them and had some special treats for the newlyweds when they returned.

The beds were very comfortable and the fireplace was nice. We were right off the lobby so we heard some noise as people went by. The construction didn't really affect us as we were gone all day.

I loved the pool and hot tub and it was a great and relaxing end to the events of the day. I don't know that I would specifically choose the hotel again, as there are less expensive options, but I don't have any complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and hope you are back to enjoy Banff again
We look forward to your return!

Kind Regards

Been to Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge? Share your experiences!