“Great place to stay in Banff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

Save Saved
You added Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge to your Saves list
Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   459 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Great place to stay in Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel multiple times in Banff. Hotel is not cheap, but none of them in Banff are. Hotel is within walking distance of downtown, which is nice. It is a little removed from the craziness that is downtown Banff, also nice in my opinion. I have continuously received exceptional service from the staff at this hotel. On one trip we had indicated we were there for our anniversary, and we had champagne and treats in our room waiting for us, no charge. I have found it to have great value for the price when taking Banff into consideration. All hotel rates in Banff will always be expensive. The restaurant in the hotel is also of good quality, and worth visiting. I will visit this hotel again regularly when in Banff. The rooms here are always clean and are of good quality as well. I recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, General Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback and to mention the Evergreen restaurant . Your review has been shared and is appreciated.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!

667 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were very excited to spend the evening in Banff at the Delta. When booking, we thought the pictures on the website looked nice and the Delta name usually lives up to higher standards - not to mention that we paid a premium to stay here.

The outside of the hotel looks very modern and inviting but nothing inside this hotel screams 4-stars. Our stay started off poorly as the parking garage was full and difficult to maneuver. After driving around the block a few times we parked in the loading zone and informed the front desk of our problem. They offered to valet the car, we were satisfied with the resolution to this issue and happy to see that we weren't charged for parking. ** Note they charge for parking, which is uncommon for the majority of hotels that do not charge in this area.

The room was tiny and outdated, however clean. The hot tub look very inviting with the lovely stone work but was uncomfortably hot. We lasted about 5 min, but perhaps this was our intolerance.

I would like to point out that the staff were incredibly friendly. I score this so low as our expectations on value were not even close to being met. I don't recommend staying here if you're looking for a true 4 or 4+ star experience in Banff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest;
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the lack of space in our underground parking as a few parking stalls are being taken by constrcution materials for the existing renovations.
Please accept our sincere apologies in this regard.
I would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly (1-800-661-1379) and ask to be directed to the General Manager

Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to Banff for a friend's wedding and they chose the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge. A bit pricier then some of the hotels we've used before but it was there special day so we booked it to be close to them.

I will say the hotel was great to them and had some special treats for the newlyweds when they returned.

The beds were very comfortable and the fireplace was nice. We were right off the lobby so we heard some noise as people went by. The construction didn't really affect us as we were gone all day.

I loved the pool and hot tub and it was a great and relaxing end to the events of the day. I don't know that I would specifically choose the hotel again, as there are less expensive options, but I don't have any complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 5, 2012

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We arrived to find the hotel under pretty major renovations in the front lobby and surrounding area, to the point where I could not hear the clerk at the front desk explain the details of my stay. There were no warnings that the hotel was undergoing renovations, and no discount for the inconvenience, either. The front desk clerk gave us an option to ‘upgrade’ from a room with two queen beds to a room with a king bed for a surcharge (really? Even lower end hotels offer this at no charge these days, especially on days they are not busy, as was the case). The first room we were given had windows DIRECTLY facing the construction (in fact, the construction workers and equipment were within five feet of the window, and visible from the beds). The cordless phone to call the front desk did not work. We asked to be moved, and while we could still see and hear the construction, at least we were one floor up from it. The room condition was ok; the heating had been turned off for a while so it was cold, and there were some suspect stains in the bathroom. The room was very simple - not what you would expect from a lodge (no fireplace, no couch, only two beds and a TV). The best part was the comfortable beds – and we had two of them (!). Overall, I would say that the Banff Delta (along with other Deltas I have stayed at) is more like a three to three and a half star hotel with four star pricing, and I would recommend going elsewhere. The nice furniture does not make up for the lack of service. I know that I will not stay at a Delta again given the choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you did not have a satisfactory stay
We would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly (1-800-661-1379) and ask to be directed to our General Manager.

Best Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We booked off Expedia for $160/night. We spent one night at the Delta. It is right in town so you wont get much of a view. We did upgrade our room for $20 to be off the main floor and looking at the path and a dingy old shack with brown icecles that is next to the property. The staff had no issue changing the room and were very sweet. There is not much to the upgraded room, just a king size bed and a fire place instead. It was better than the first floor - but not really worth the money in off season. The bed was comfy and room was clean. There is a pool, but it was closed temporarily. The in-house restaurant looked nice but we did not eat there. There is under ground parking for $12/night. The room service list did not strike our fancy and seemed very pricey for what choices there were.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a 1st floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and hope you are back to enjoy Banff again.

Whistler, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Delta because of the ratings and reviews I had seen and for its quirky grotto spa/pool area only to arrive and find the pool and spa area were out of order due to maintenance for 5 days. The room was standard with 2 queens which was nice but it was such a blow to find the pool and hot tub were out of order for 5 days. I told the staff on check out I was unhappy and they simply said " oh yeh sorry."The hotel could have comped parking or upgraded us to a room with a fireplace to compensate for this or just have gone that extra mile make up for it. They offered another pool at there sister hotel couple mins walk away but that's the last thing you want to do when you pay a high rate. I paid $185 a night for this room and it was definitely not worth the money. There was maintenance equipment all over the outside walkway at the lobby which I wish I would have photographed. I work in the hotel industry myself and I will never stay at this hotel again. I would fork out the extra cash and stay at the Fairmont which I believe gives you the true banff experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We are very concerned to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. The overall feedback we receive from guests helps us improve for the next guests. We would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns among our own employees. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments (1-800-661-1379)

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Food wasn't great but other than that, the staff was friendly, & the proximity to everything was perfect. Found it to be expensive but comparable to everything else in the area. Would stay again. Our view from our room was amazing but there was a condo building right there that could see in our window.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Best regards

Been to Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge? Share your experiences!