“Impressed. Would stay again.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge

You added Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge to your Saves list
Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   459 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Melbourne, Australia
“Impressed. Would stay again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed here for one night in October 2011. I booked a Junior Executive Suite as it was a romantic getaway for my husband and I. I was thoroughly impressed with the hotel. Our suite was very tidy and roomy. Big bathroom with lovely spa bath and in the living room a cosy fireplace in the corner. We also loved the very comfortable king size bed and a lovely sitting area. We had a nice view overlooking the entrance to the hotel. My only complaint would be the iPod dock alarm clock.. we found it very hard to reset the time.. and we are pretty techy people I thought! I added a romance package that included a small bottle of sparkling and truffles as well as breakfast and secure undercover parking (under the building). We were delighted to find our windshield had been cleaned when we got to the car in the morning. A nice added touch.

Check in was easy. We loved the mineral spa - we had it to ourselves. Breakfast was yummy too. It was only a 10 minute walk to town - too easy. I thought that the Jr Exec Suite, with a romance package was much better value than the Banff Springs Hotel - plus you have the ability to walk into town. We did stay mid week just before winter ski season so perhaps that's why we enjoyed our stay so much.. we had the hotel to ourselves. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Book a Junior Exec Suite. It's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
I am so pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us here in Banff, and that you enjoyed the amenities and wonderful staff. Thank you for the addition of your personal photos and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge in the future.
Guest Experience Specialist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Leslieville, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We booked our winter stay online through a coupn website so I was a little nervous as to what we were actually going to get. It was fabulous. Close to down town (10 min walk) yet far enough away to be quiet. We were greeted at the door by the friendly concierge who led us to the front desk and then parked our vehicle in the heated underground parking. We loved the cozy yet fancy lodge feel of the lobby. There was a fire burning in the stone fireplace. The check in was quick and easy. Our room was beautiful (though maybe a bit crowded with furniture). Nice furnishings, high ceilings, beautiful bedding, gas fireplace, large flatscreen TV, small fridge, granite counters in the bathroom etc etc. It had everything we needed for our stay and then some. I feel there was nothing overlooked. They even had complimentary chapstick that I was so thankful to see as I had forgotten mine. I need to find out where to buy some for myself. Probably my favorite thing about our stay though was the beds. They were amazing!! Firm yet soft with fabulous sheets/bedding. LOVED IT :)
We used the pool while there as well. It was beautiful too. There is a stone waterfalI into the pool. The hot tub was very warm and the steamroom was wonderful. I found it very clean and well kept.
We ate at the restaraunt for breakfast. The food was wonderful and the service good even though they seemed a bit understaffed.
Overall, we had a great stay. We would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for posting a review on your recent stay. I hope your review provides useful advice to those future travellers to Banff National Park and all the highlights at our hotel! Thank you for making a personal mention to the concierge, for their genuine, professional service. Thank you for choosing Delta Hotels and the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge!
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

we arrived for my birthday all booked by my girlfriend for my special day to be changed rooms. supposed to be an upgrade. they gave a us from one bed to a two bed room. very romantic we didn't come from our bed in Calgary to sleep in different beds in Banff. once changed back to the room we booked we found if not to have the fireplace in it that being one of the reasons we choose this room and the champagne and truffles that were supposed to be in the room not in the room, as well another perk in the decision for this hotel. after dealing with several management we were unable to get the room we book and no compensation for spending an hour and a half changing rooms while we had planed on getting ready for out dinner reservations. we then found another room at a different hotel on short notice that were more than helpful and with there help with detections we managed to make it to our dinner table on time. after dealing with the staff i would not be inclined to give the hotel another try...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting a review on your experience and for commenting on our sincere attempt to accommodate you while in Banff. We have investigated your review and have come to find there are a number of things which contributed to this experience. We can discuss such things as the earlier than normal check-in time as it relates to room drops, and the amenities/features of each of our room categories. Each guests stay is important to us and as you were able to discuss with the General Manager, we sincerely attempt to accommodate and resolve guest request. We are sorry you did not stay with us, and encourage you to consider us for a future stay. On behalf of the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, thank you again for your review.
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

When visiting Banff we normally stay at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel but since I decided to switch to a Canadian Hotel chain, I thought it would be good to stay at the Delta. I have to say overall it was a great stay. There was a couple small problems. When i drove up the hotel, there was a bellman or someone in a hotel uniform standing at the front door. He stood there and did nothing. He did not ask to assist us with the baggage or welcome us to the hotel or ask to take the car. Then when i checked in, the clerk did not know that the room was prepaid and did not have the keys ready for me. Her name tag did say Trainee so i did not worry about it. But when i proceeded up to my room the keys did not work. I came down to the front desk and spoke to the other front desk clerk and explained that the keys did not work and maybe the trainee did not know how to program them. I went back up the the room and the keys still did not work. I went back down to the desk and explained that the keys still did not work. The desk clerk looked at me as if i was talking another language and proceed to explain how to use the key. I stated that i have been staying at hotels for more then 20 years and know how to use the key. He then asked the bellmen to escort me to the room so he could try it. I asked what he could do that i could not and he explained that he would let me in the room and it could be the battery in the reader. At this time my partner had already been waiting in the hallway outside our room for more then 15 mins and I told the desk clerk that i am not going to wait for them to figure it out and switch me to another room. Which with hesitation he did. Finally we checked into our room. I think the clerk attempted to "get us" for complaining as he put us at the back of the hotel with no view and i could tell by the location of our first room that we had a nice view.

The room was nice and clean. The only issue with the room was that the temperature was way to hot. We turned the heat off and had to turn the AC on and open the windows and the room never cooled down.

Generally the hotel was very clean, the pool area was clean (the decor needs to be updated a bit). The only other small item was the smell in the elevators. They need to examine the cleaning supplies as they put off an awful odor.

The hotel is in a great location for a nice walk to the downtown area or Starbucks in the morning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest, It was our pleasures to have you stay with us in Banff and for taking the time post a review on your stay. We are happy you chose us as an alternative location and one which you would gladly return to! Additionally thank you for providing us some constructive criticism on the room door lock and guest experience that followed, as we consistently want to improve our products and services. I apologize for the inconvenience this gave at the start of your stay. These concerns will be addressed internally and we know you will experience improved service on your next stay with us. Thank you for choosing Delta Hotels and the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge!
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

There is much good about this hotel...the room was excellent, restaurant very good, having underground parking included for only $12 is outstanding.
The location was excellent. Only blocks to downtown Banff. A very nice walk.
The only difference between the Delta Banff and other Delta's was in the check-in experience. I stay at Delta hotels typically. I am a platinum plus member, and on check in the room cards, etc. are typically ready for me. The welcome snack is usually in my room or quickly after check-in. Not so here where I was treated like it was my first time at a Delta. A longer check-in than normal, I had to ask for the welcome snack again two hours after arriving, and other small things that I take for granted at Delta hotels either did not happen (paper in the morning outside my room), or had to be requested multiple times.
It was not a bad experience at all. The hotel is great. It may seem to be nit-picking (even to me). However, one comes to expect the little things as a platinum plus member and they are glaring in their absence.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear Valued Platinum Plus Member,
Thank you for your post in regards to your recent visit, and recommending our hotel as a great choice in Banff National Park. Your perspective on the check-in process is highly appreciated as your time and experience will always help us improve. Thank you addressing your concern in the standard procedures we provide at check-in. I have investigated your missing welcome snack and it seems as though it was not properly communicated upon check-in. I apologize for the service you had received and thank you again for your post.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed in a premium room with a lovely gas fireplace. The room was spotless, as were the linens and towels. I found the service to be superb from check-in to check-out.

They went out of their way when I ordered room service to provide a lactose-free dessert and all of the young people who provided service were genuinely warm and welcoming. They had even cleaned my windshield so I would have great visibility when I went back on the road. Nice little touches like a roaring fireplace in the entry with free mint tea and apples. They really understand the details.

It's an easy walk to all of the shops and a warm return home. Excellent experience.

Room Tip: I love the warmth of a gas fireplace so splurge for the premium rooms--some on the third floor face...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
BanffManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 9, 2011
What a fantastic review, thank you for taking the time to submit this after your stay with us at the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge! Our Food and Beverage team pride themselves on making "our kitchen, your kitchen", thank you for recognizing this in your review. We look forward to seeing you again on a return visit.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the downtown scene which is not too far. Very good hotel, nice rooms,everything you need, we had a fire place, which the bellhop explain on how to turn it on also showed us the fire exit (Excellent bellhop service by Joe) Big bathrooms with 1 wash basin and then a bathroom off that room with bath/shower, toilet and another wash basin. Very clean. The front office staff were always friendly they remember my last name and they always greet me and my wife whenever we enter the lobby area, they made us feel welcome, the only downfall is that when we were check out there was two lady agent (Asian and Caucasian) and one Caucasian male wearing suit (MANAGER??) he was busy playing cards behind the front desk with the Caucasian agent while the Asian agent (Jonie?) is busy helping us out with our departure and answering the phone call at the same time she was very thorough and professional even though she didn't receive any help from the rest of the staff behind the desk, my wife made a joke "I didn't know they offer a mini casino at the front office I would've join!" that's the only downfall as the service was a little slack if that was indeed the manager at the front office lacking of Customer Service and not a good example for the rest of the staff - just my opinion as I am also a business owner. Housekeeping are very polite. We didn't eat at the restaurant as even the specials seems expensive but I'm sure good food by the look at the restaurant ambiance. We are coming back next year!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, General Manager at Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay with us. I am particularly interested in your review as some of the service you received, did not reflect the consistent high quality service and standards we are known for, which I am very sorry. Rest ensured that I have informed the department manager of the concerns in your review so that they do not happen in the future. Thank you for making a personal mention to the concierge, Joe, for his genuine, personalized service.
Maria Jose Portela