“Lovely Hotel with Bad Practices” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre

You added Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre to your Saves list
Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   222 Lynx Street, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1K5, Canada   |
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Banff
New York City, New York
“Lovely Hotel with Bad Practices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Reservation details from Hotels.com were room with "Balcony, Mountain view"
The room had neither. It was at an entrance on the ground floor so the sliding doors did not open for security reasons and it made the room stuffy. They were still showing vacancies so it was not the only available room. The front desk said they did not see the web site information and it not count.

The check in time is very late 4pm, even though check out is the standard 11am.

Room Tip: Lots of other hotels in town.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is about a block away from a pedestrian trail along the edge of the river, and about 2 blocks away from the main shopping street. You can follow the river trail about a mile to see the waterfalls. Be forewarned that there are multiple steps up and down near the falls. The hotel also has a pool and Jacuzzi, along with a couple of restaurants. There are other restaurants across the street and more around the corner. The town of Banff is not very big so it is easy to get around on foot.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This hotel has a great location. Quiet (a couple of blocks off main street) yet close to downtown shopping. Our room was spacious and had a small balcony from which we could see the mountains. The room was clean and comfortable. The fridge was under the 2nd vanity which was a bit odd but at least it was cold!! We walked to our breakfast and dinner locations and had a beautiful walk along the paved path next to the river!! Underground parking and a few surface spots for larger SUV's. Melissas for breakfast was across the street!! Well worth the stop!!

Room Tip: Mountain View rooms are nice but they would likely all be west facing which is hotter. I don't b...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Pro
-good location, 2 blocks from Banff Ave
-friendly valet and front desk staff, readily offered directions
-large room and LCD TV
-underground parking lot has lots of space
-competitive room rates
-2 sinks

Con
-1970's wash room
-dark room, lack of lighting
-soft bed

Not sure if I'll stay again, probably try a hotel with updated rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have stayed in Banff many times over the years at various hotels. I rarely write a review because through my experience most of the hotels are over-priced basic three star (sometimes four star) accommodations with some amenities (pool etc) thrown in. I pick the hotel with the best deal and I have rarely been disappointed.

We stayed at this hotel for two nights (Sunday to Tuesday) in June. I had previously booked their sister hotel The Homestead Inn but found a deal for $60.00 more at this hotel. When I compared the two I thought I lucked out.

When we arrived I was told that parking was $10.00 a night. I was already paying $370.00 for two nights so I was not happy about having to pay to park underground in the summer. One of the ladies mentioned the lot next door but since we arrived in the early afternoon I was unable to find parking.

We walked into an above average sized room. It had two queen size beds a large dresser with plenty of drawers and a table with two sofa chairs. It also had TWO vanities a large closet, a large flat screen TV, fridge, coffee pot AND kettle. My boys enjoyed the pool and sauna while I unpacked. I was pleased until.....

Now there are a few things I require to fulfill my basic needs when staying in Banff as I am rarely in my room. Since few hotels in Banff have A/C this isn't one of them. Unfortunately, this hotel fell short on MY basic requirements.

We were given a room on the main floor at the back of the hotel with the view of a roof of a house. Not surprising since we got "a deal". However, you can't sit in the courtyard because they have no chairs! I looked up and noticed the balconies were empty as well. One of the things I enjoy when I am in my room is sitting on the patio/balcony in the morning sipping a coffee and doing the same at night with a glass of wine or tea. Not this time.

I have come to expect no A/C in the rooms. And although it can get very warm in the room in the summer, we compromise by having a fan and leaving the patio door open. Not this time. There was a notice on the patio door stating to keep it locked for safety reasons. The screen didn't even have a lock. Needless to say the (loud) fan was insufficient for a comfortable sleep.

I enjoy a LONG hot shower after a great day of hiking. Not this time. The shower head in the tub was shorter than me! (I am 5'6") I had to crank my head back or bend over to get my hair wet. Again, not a big thing but not very relaxing!

I rarely watch TV in my room except for first thing in the morning and right before sleep. The beautiful flat screen TV had 51 channels. 10 of the channels didn't work at all (blurry/fuzzy). Many of the other channels worked and then after a few minutes fizzed out.

For most I am sure this hotel would be sufficient. For me however, at $390 I was quite disappointed in this "4 star" hotel. I will never return.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony. You won't have patio chairs but at least you can leave the patio...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed for two nights while on a tour of the Canadian Rockies. Our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Our room was also quiet. The hotel is situated a short walk to all the shops and restaurants. They have a restaurant where we had a great breakfast Buffet. In the evening my friends and I would go to the bar and have a glass of wine. The bar was quiet and comfortably appointed. Our bartender was alone but efficient and friendly. There are also shops for those that are interested in shopping. It is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our family stayed here for two nights for vacation. The check-in and checkout was prompt and the staffs were very helpful and accommodating. The location is perfect – it’s just a walk away from the town’s attractions, shopping centers and restaurants. The room was clean and quiet. We also made use of the indoor pool, hot tub and steam bath that was really nice.

We also had a buffet breakfast at The Chinook Family Restaurant and the food was great. Then we had some cocktail drinks at Terrace Lounge one late evening.

The only negative thing in this hotel that I can think of is that they have an extra charge for the parking as well as the Wi-Fi (like seriously???).

Overall, it was an amazing experience and we did enjoy our trip.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Banff Park Lodge Resort and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!