“Banff Escape” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Halifax, Canada
“Banff Escape”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My bf and I meet up because we are long distance and went to Banff for three nights. I had read some of the reviews and was hestiant on booking a room. We were pleasantly surprised, the check in was easy and welcoming.Once we got to our room we unloaded our things and started a fire ( we brought our own wood) which made it cozy. We had the 1 bedroom suite. We liked how it was different room, first we walked into the bedroom, kitchen ( bathroom was off to the side) and then into the living room. The kitchen could have had a few more things such as Salt and Pepper, a Pan for cooking in the oven and maybe some oil. We have stayed in many suites and these items are usually included. There is a Safeway in town so we picked up those items. The bed were a little stiff but suitable. Place was decently clean and in a good location as we walked to town and we noticed there was a bus stop right outside the Resort. Across the road there is also a little store with some groceries incase you forget to bring something

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
To whom it may concern,
The management adn team at Tunnel Mountain Resort thank you for your feedback.
Any feedback is good feedback as it enables us to see how we are doing as a hotel and what we can do to improve ourselves.
A lot of good wee hints to pass on to TripAdvisor reviewers, thank you.
In relation to the pan, we agree, yes this have should have been in your room. The salt and pepper are their to order from our house keeping department.
We look forward to having you come back to us and enjoy the majestic Rockies at our little resort just not far from the downtown Banff.
Yours sincerely,

Tunnel Mountain Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in September 2012. For a cheap price, our stay here was really decent. The living room was spacious. Our room has a fire place, lots of furniture and a big balcony overlooking the road. I wish our room faced the mountainside instead. Utensils and cook ware are provided for use. It's like staying at your own home away from home.

My husband especially love the jetted tub. The Jacuzzi is within the same building as our room but if you want to use the swimming pool, you have to make a trek from your building, which may be a long walk, to the front desk building. The staff who welcomed us was very helpful. The location is not too bad, finding this place was an adventure for us, we got lost only once.

If it matters to anyone, the whole resort is dated. It didn't help that it was raining and it was a very cold day when we checked in but the place seemed unwelcoming and unattractive. But, after we settled in and the fireplace was lit, everything was okay. We have a roof over our head, our room was clean and we were dry. I'm just glad it was only a day's stay.

I would also add that this is a place suited for skiers who want to stay in Banff for a long time, save on food (there is no restaurant within sight), and have enough room to store their ski equipment in their lodging place. In its own way, this place is charming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
To whom it may concern,
Nice to see you have come back to Tunnel Mountain Resort. We are making progress on renovations, recently we have changed floors in the living area and bathroom in our mountain cabins.
Maintenance is important to us, so we are striving to keep up with this every day.
Thank you for your comments. These have been passed on to the departments.
We would love to see you again next time, and what you can do if you are wanting a mountain view, then please request this and we will do our best to fulfill your needs.
Your sincerely,
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Very spacious room with a queen size bedroom and hide a bed on the main floor and huge king size bed in the loft. We'll stocked kitchen with full size stove, fridge and dishwasher. The negatives about this room was that it needs serious updating. The hide a bed was in terrible condition and there was a definite smell of stale cigarette smell.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I do appreciate that certain aspects of the hotel require updating and unfortunately such renovations do take some time to complete, however I would like to assure you we are constantly working hard to make these improvements for our guests.

I was glad to note that you were pleased with other aspects of your stay, and I hope we will see you again in the near future.
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Poorly lit rooms... Musty smell.... TV not working... Cheap fixtures... Cheap mismatched kitchen cutlery and dishwares.... In desperate need of renovating--cracked and broken tiles... Most hotels on tunnel mountain provide bus passes for their guests-- this hotel does not. The furniture was not appropriate for the number of people the room sleeps---sleeps 8 but only had 1 sofa in the living area and the sofa was microfibres that was so greasy you really did not want to even sit on it.... I have wanted to stay at this hotel for many years, but the cost always kept me away--- I used a travelzoo voucher to stay the weekend, and I would never stay there again unless they did a massive renovation! The only good thing was the beds... But the coverlets on the bed were greasy as well!s

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I was sorry to read of your disappointment concerning your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that we are working hard to make improvements to the hotel through constant upgrades and renovations, however unfortunately this is not always a speedy process especially during the winter months. Please accept our apologies for the issues you encountered, and I hope that our staff were able to assist you with these during your stay.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I got a coupon for this hotel March 2013. Our stay was amazing. We upgraded for the jetted bathtub room. We loved the room, the piscine and the staff was very helpful and very professional. Our room had a gas fireplace, wich was nice because we didn't have to buy firewood. Yes the hotel is not on the main street, but it's walkable (or there's plenty of parking spot..!) Since we were on a budget, having to pay the flight because we lived 5 provinces away fom each other, we ate in our room, using the barbecues and our microwave to cook, we managed to have something really good!
Staff was very helpful when we asked for plates and stuff, we got them right away. You can manage to cook yourself a nice dinner with the microwave and the all year round barbecues outside - even if it's cold, very appreciated!

Room Tip: Our Executive Suite was really nice, bed very comfy!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Tunnel Mountain Resort.

I was very glad to read of your enjoyable experience, and it was most pleasing to note that you were impressed with the resort and the service you received from our staff.

Your positive feedback has been forwarded to our Management team for their perusal, and once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

I hope we will see you again in the near future!
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were really looking forward to staying in Banff and I thought I'd chosen a great hotel but.... not really. We had an 'executive suite' but the description is somewhat misleading. The room was very dark and overlooked the main road and other buildings. The cleaning service left a lot to be desired. The first morning they were banging on the door at 9.00am! I'm not sure what they did when they were in the room but cleaning didn't appear to be part of the routine. The hotel is a bit too far out of town which I wouldn't have minded if there was a view of the hills. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

It is regrettable that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet with your expectations, and although I understand that some of the points raised in your review were a matter of personal preference, I do hope that our staff were able to assist in rectifying the issues for you concerning our Housekeeping Department.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment, however I hope that despite the points mentioned you were able to enjoy the other aspects of your stay, and would consider staying at Tunnel Mountain Resort again in the future.

Kind Regards
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We book a loft unit for New Years Eve. The cost was over $400 so the expectations were high. The room wasn't as clean as expected but not terrible. We were very excited about the wood burning stove and shocked to find out we had to purchase wood for the stove!!! The resort was packed as to be expected on NYE. Our experience started to get bad at 2am when a party broke out in the room next to us. We notified to front desk and was told they would take care of it. The party went on until 5 am and eventually the front desk said there was nothing they can do about it (even though there is a no noise policy after 11pm). We are very disappointed in the resorts lack of ability or care to handle this. The manager gave us 20% of our money back upon further complaining. For the price we paid we expected better from Tunnel Mountain Resort and will never stay here again or recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you comments concerning your recent stay with us.

It is most regrettable that your stay was affected by noise from neighbouring guests and I do appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you. Unfortunately from time to time there are instances were guests cause a disturbance, and we will always do our very best to resolve such issues in an efficient manner. We have a security team on hand for when such problems arise, however with New Years Eve being such an extremely busy time for the hotels in Banff, the security team along with the local police were inundated with calls from across the town, leaving our staff to manage such complaints. I am sorry that you did not feel we responded to your complaint in an acceptable manner, although I would like to assure you we did everything possible to resolve the matter considering the resources we had available on that particular night.

I would like to apologize further for the other aspects of your stay that did not meet with your expectations. I understand from your review that you were provided with a partial refund for the issues you encountered, however if this resolution was not to your satisfaction I would encourage you to contact us on 1-800-661-1859 in order to discuss the matter further.

I can assure you that this is not a typical experience for our guests at Tunnel Mountain Resort, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to demonstrate this to you in the future.

Been to Tunnel Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!