“Great space but needs updating!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

Bookmark
You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Great space but needs updating!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Very spacious room with a queen size bedroom and hide a bed on the main floor and huge king size bed in the loft. We'll stocked kitchen with full size stove, fridge and dishwasher. The negatives about this room was that it needs serious updating. The hide a bed was in terrible condition and there was a definite smell of stale cigarette smell.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014

I do appreciate that certain aspects of the hotel require updating and unfortunately such renovations do take some time to complete, however I would like to assure you we are constantly working hard to make these improvements for our guests.

I was glad to note that you were pleased with other aspects of your stay, and I hope we will see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Poorly lit rooms... Musty smell.... TV not working... Cheap fixtures... Cheap mismatched kitchen cutlery and dishwares.... In desperate need of renovating--cracked and broken tiles... Most hotels on tunnel mountain provide bus passes for their guests-- this hotel does not. The furniture was not appropriate for the number of people the room sleeps---sleeps 8 but only had 1 sofa in the living area and the sofa was microfibres that was so greasy you really did not want to even sit on it.... I have wanted to stay at this hotel for many years, but the cost always kept me away--- I used a travelzoo voucher to stay the weekend, and I would never stay there again unless they did a massive renovation! The only good thing was the beds... But the coverlets on the bed were greasy as well!s

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I was sorry to read of your disappointment concerning your recent stay with us. I would like to assure you that we are working hard to make improvements to the hotel through constant upgrades and renovations, however unfortunately this is not always a speedy process especially during the winter months. Please accept our apologies for the issues you encountered, and I hope that our staff were able to assist you with these during your stay.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I got a coupon for this hotel March 2013. Our stay was amazing. We upgraded for the jetted bathtub room. We loved the room, the piscine and the staff was very helpful and very professional. Our room had a gas fireplace, wich was nice because we didn't have to buy firewood. Yes the hotel is not on the main street, but it's walkable (or there's plenty of parking spot..!) Since we were on a budget, having to pay the flight because we lived 5 provinces away fom each other, we ate in our room, using the barbecues and our microwave to cook, we managed to have something really good!
Staff was very helpful when we asked for plates and stuff, we got them right away. You can manage to cook yourself a nice dinner with the microwave and the all year round barbecues outside - even if it's cold, very appreciated!

Room Tip: Our Executive Suite was really nice, bed very comfy!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at Tunnel Mountain Resort.

I was very glad to read of your enjoyable experience, and it was most pleasing to note that you were impressed with the resort and the service you received from our staff.

Your positive feedback has been forwarded to our Management team for their perusal, and once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.

I hope we will see you again in the near future!
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were really looking forward to staying in Banff and I thought I'd chosen a great hotel but.... not really. We had an 'executive suite' but the description is somewhat misleading. The room was very dark and overlooked the main road and other buildings. The cleaning service left a lot to be desired. The first morning they were banging on the door at 9.00am! I'm not sure what they did when they were in the room but cleaning didn't appear to be part of the routine. The hotel is a bit too far out of town which I wouldn't have minded if there was a view of the hills. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

It is regrettable that certain aspects of the hotel did not meet with your expectations, and although I understand that some of the points raised in your review were a matter of personal preference, I do hope that our staff were able to assist in rectifying the issues for you concerning our Housekeeping Department.

I am sorry to read of your disappointment, however I hope that despite the points mentioned you were able to enjoy the other aspects of your stay, and would consider staying at Tunnel Mountain Resort again in the future.

Kind Regards
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We book a loft unit for New Years Eve. The cost was over $400 so the expectations were high. The room wasn't as clean as expected but not terrible. We were very excited about the wood burning stove and shocked to find out we had to purchase wood for the stove!!! The resort was packed as to be expected on NYE. Our experience started to get bad at 2am when a party broke out in the room next to us. We notified to front desk and was told they would take care of it. The party went on until 5 am and eventually the front desk said there was nothing they can do about it (even though there is a no noise policy after 11pm). We are very disappointed in the resorts lack of ability or care to handle this. The manager gave us 20% of our money back upon further complaining. For the price we paid we expected better from Tunnel Mountain Resort and will never stay here again or recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you comments concerning your recent stay with us.

It is most regrettable that your stay was affected by noise from neighbouring guests and I do appreciate how frustrating this must have been for you. Unfortunately from time to time there are instances were guests cause a disturbance, and we will always do our very best to resolve such issues in an efficient manner. We have a security team on hand for when such problems arise, however with New Years Eve being such an extremely busy time for the hotels in Banff, the security team along with the local police were inundated with calls from across the town, leaving our staff to manage such complaints. I am sorry that you did not feel we responded to your complaint in an acceptable manner, although I would like to assure you we did everything possible to resolve the matter considering the resources we had available on that particular night.

I would like to apologize further for the other aspects of your stay that did not meet with your expectations. I understand from your review that you were provided with a partial refund for the issues you encountered, however if this resolution was not to your satisfaction I would encourage you to contact us on 1-800-661-1859 in order to discuss the matter further.

I can assure you that this is not a typical experience for our guests at Tunnel Mountain Resort, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to demonstrate this to you in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We tried to get into the other hotels at Tunnel Mountain but booked to late. Tunnel Mountain Resort was the same price as the other hotels up on the mountain however not as nice (we call it shabby genteel" ).The rooms are lacking the basics such as a coffee maker that works ( and they brought us another one that took an hour to brew) toasters stuck in drawers that won't come out,lack of privacy as slats of the vertical blinds are missing and torn mattress covers. We stayed two nights and had a wonderful New Years dinner across the road. We will say that if you want to pay the extreme price for wood bundles( with not enough kindling) the staff has it to you quickly as well as a bedspread to replace the very heavy comforter as another reviewer mentioned it is hot in these units. We also were across from the road and bus stop but we didn't feel that was a problem.
The fellow at the front desk gave me a bit of attitude when we were checking in but we ignored him as the girl behind him made up for it. All in all the rooms are spacious with great mountain views and if the management wanted to have their " Vacancy" sign changed to "no vacancy" the potential is there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

I understand from your review that certain aspects of the room did not meet with our usual standards, and for this please accept my sincere apologies. I would like to assure you we take all feedback from our guests very seriously, and I have therefore forwarded your comments to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure the issues are resolved as soon as possible for our future guests.

Furthermore I was very sorry to read that you were not fully satisfied with the service you received from our staff upon checking in. We usually receive such positive feedback in relation to the service our staff provide, however it is most regrettable that on this occasion you did not feel the service you received met with our usual standards.

I hope that despite the above mentioned issues you were able to enjoy the other aspects of your stay, and I hope we have the opportunity to restore your faith in Tunnel Mountain Resort in the near future.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed in a loft unit for a few nights in early December 2013 - my wife and I, and our 2 kids (2 months and 2 years).

The location is great - backing onto tall tress with mountain views between the branches. Parking is easy and free. It is too far to walk into Banff with a young family, so plan to drive or use the Roam Bus that stops right at the front door.

The space is large in the loft suites. The "Master Bedroom" is small, though, with only one queen bed and a short space between the bed and the 3 walls around it. It is big enough for a single or couple, but not for the whole family. With the furnace and other mechanical equipment in a non-sound-proofed corner of this room - it became Daddy's "snoring room".

The living room is large, with one full sofa-bed and a table with 4 chairs. The TV is large and modern. The fireplace is a great feature, and we used it each night.

The kitchen is well equipped with Ikea kitchen utensils and tools. It's basic - but it's all you really need for a few nights out - a full size fridge, stove top, oven, toaster, kettle, coffee pot, microwave, dishwasher, etc...

The bathroom is also adequate for a small family. Hot water pressure is low - but you didn't come here for a long day at the office followed by a long hot shower. If you need to steam out your muscles, they have hot tubs.

There is a balcony off the main floor that appears quite nice - although we did not use it in -36'C weather.

The stairs to the loft are a bit steeper than most will be used to in their city homes. This doesn't impact anyone, but it did make my wife more conscious of when / how our 2 year old was on the stairs.

The loft is huge, with 2 double beds and plenty of room for the Pack N Play and luggage. This was our main sleeping space.

Biggest Wins:
- It was -36'C when we were there. The room was always warm. There were no icy cold drafts.
- The staff provide a Four Seasons level of Customer Service
- The space is large and the layout functional
- A night's worth of firewood, kindling and paper - delivered to your suite for $7

Opportunities:
- Just like with any hotel/motel - there are opportunities to be cleaner and have greater attention to detail on the part of the cleaning staff
- The mechanical equipment off the MB is noisy, and would likely have bothered my toddler if I had tried to get her to sleep in there

We didn't have a chance to enjoy the pool or hot tubs.

Overall, we hope to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TunnelMtn, Guest Relations Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was glad to read you found the resort to be well equipped and that you were pleased with the service you received from our staff.

Your comments relating to noise experienced from the furnace have been forwarded to our Maintenance Department for further investigation, and furthermore I have ensured our Housekeeping Manager is aware of your statement concerning the cleanliness of the room. We always do our best to maintain the best possible standards, and from this point of view your comments are very much appreciated in assisting us with this.

I hope we can expect to see you again soon!

Been to Tunnel Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!