“Lots of space for families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
“Lots of space for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

The loft room was perfect for us a family of 2 adults and 3 kids. kitchen was fully equipped and if we needed something the staff were very accomodating. Now heads up the bed in the 1 bedroom the matteress was a little harder and not very comfy. But it did the job. One of the kids did end up getting sick after 11pm in the bed, we called and they came instantly and changed all the bedding with new stuff. Again very accomodating. There is right across the street bus stops and a convenience store/liquor store. Walking to downtown can be done just bundle up and enjoy nature. Deer were seen from the balcony and near tunnel mountain road. Has a wood fireplace, wood is not free but bundle you get is including kindling and matches and paper.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We booked an executive king suite here in mid October (off season) so the rate was very reasonable compared to the rest of the year. Upon arrival the room was very clean & tidy, but the longer you stayed, the housekeeping really slacked off. You could tell they didn't vacuum & the bed was poorly made. In these suites the sink is outside the bathroom by the coffee maker, fridge & microwave, so that was kind of awkward. It's a good sized room & you could park right outside the door plus they have a nice pool & hot tub. Other than the fact that housekeeping is lazy, we would stay here again, but only in off season as otherwise the rates are real expensive. It is also cheaper if you book online instead of right through the front desk.

Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed 1 week on a holiday, self-catered double suite.
Check in staff were exceptionally friendly. Rooms were basic but cosy, heated floors are a nice touch however we found that even with the heating turned off, the temperature in our room was incredibly stuffy and hot because of the floors, we woke up each morning with red eyes and a dry throat. In winter this extra heating may have been appreciated but in Autumn it's just overkill. Ended up having to keep the door open the entire time just to get some air in there.

The resort is a 10-15 minute walk out of town- close enough to walk in the summer or spring months if you're not afraid of hills, however would not recommend staying there without a car in the winter months- too far from town for comfortable -10 degrees weather walking.

Average place- good for the traveler on a budget.

Room Tip: If you don't like long hill walks carrying shopping, bring a car.
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked a room through Expedia. Having stayed at the resort several times I was pretty excited to re-visit again. Huge mistake. Checked in. Parked where we were directed and carried our cooler , luggage ect. up and down stairs to the basement, eventually finding our room that faced a major road and bus route. The room had a wood burning fireplace which we thought was nice except the entire room reeked of smoke, from someone forgetting to open the damper. We opened windows. Having a kitchenette I thought was nice, -no condiments. The Hot Tub was out of service, so thought we would use the jetted tub it the bathroom- leaked 1/4 inch of water all over the floor. For management to comp. the firewood for our inconveniences????Needless to say, after many years of promoting Tunnel Mountain Resort, we will not be back or will recommend this facility in the future.

Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was a little scared of what we had gotten ourself into when we pulled up and the buildings were all separate... I'm thinking... what, a mountain themed motel? Ugh. The room was actually quite nice. It had a gas fireplace, and heated tiles- a fridge and a microwave, and a steam shower. So for the few nights we were there it was fine.

Our experiences with the staff were good- they were friendly. The hot tub room was nice too. There were even grills around the property, and there was a close bus stop.

I know other reviewers had problems, but I can tell you that we did not.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of your room during your stay with us. We look forward to your return visit
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I guess the first question I would ask myself before writing a review is. "what were my expectations going in?" If they were really high, then The Tunnel Mountain Resort would have disappointed me.
The second would be, "would I be doing anyone any favors by saying that it is a fantastic place if it wasn't?" That answer would obviously be NO.

Here's how my stay at this hotel shook down (I checked out today). My wife and I arrived late afternoon. While checking in I noticed that the computer monitor at their little business center had an out of order sign on it, still there when I checked out. I'm glad I didn't have to depend on it. We grabbed our room cards and threw our stuff in the room. We were in a one bedroom suite I should mention. We headed for dinner at the Keg and didn't plan to return for a while. We arrived back much later, watched a little T.V. and headed to bed since we had to be up early for the Discover Banff Tour at 8:30.

Shortly after turning in, I head this awful noise every once in a while. I was so tired that I just shut the door. It just got worse throughout the night. At 4 A.M. I unplugged the fridge. It was the compressor making all that racket.

In the morning, my wife and I were dead tired. We went on our tour and when we came back we switched rooms. The new room was much nicer, but had the worst flooring job I'd ever seen. I get the feeling that the owners of this property don't really care what their guests think of this place. If they did, they would spend more time and effort keeping it up. The couch (in both suites) should have been thrown out. Worn, stained and had hole in it. Walls had paint chips and some holes. Appliance were dated and very low end. Brands I'd never even heard of.

The hot tub was nice and it was also nice to have a fireplace. Paying for wood? The jury is still out there. Should be the first bag free.

So I'd say that my stay was just OK. Sure would have been better without the fridge ordeal. There are better places to stay. I've stayed in them, but there's always that want to stay places you haven't in the past. Adds a little mystery and excitement to the trip. I won't hurry back here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the woods to the north often have wildlife wonder by them.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry to hear our property did not live up to your expectations. We strive to exceed all guests expectations, and are regretful we did not succeed with you. Be assured all of your comments were reviewed with our management team and the situation will be improved. Thank you for your review

Been to Tunnel Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!