“While cooking supper, the scent of pine wafted through the patio doors with the mountains in the background.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

While enjoying the comforts of home (dishwasher, pots& pans, fridge, microwave), you can enjoy a walk down through the many mountain trails and soak in the hot tub later while the children go down the water slides or have a game of air hockey. Only a short drive to many shops. Grocery, and liquor store on site with a laundromat.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Wingham, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We got a coupon from LivingSocial to stay here for 2 days on our honeymoon. After checking out the website it looked like a wonderful, modern, clean place to stay so we bought the deal. It was the exact opposite. After taking 20 minutes to find the room - signage is terrible. We got a one bedroom suite - stains on the ceilings, cracked tiles and out of date, heated floor in the bedroom we couldn't turn off, switches were outside of the bathroom with that old tile ceiling with water damage - and that was just the first impression. The bed was so uncomfortable it was like sleeping on concrete, to add to it the heated floor baked us (the air conditioner was a vented unit in the other room) the bed was also directly beside the door - we could hear kids running down the hallway - not great for a honeymooning couple that spent money on a 'Romance Package'. The last straw was when the water was turned off mid-shower while I was freshening up to go out to check out Banff for the first time. No warning. With conditioner in my hair we packed up and made reservations at a better resort down the street. We'll never ever go back here. LivingSocial or the resort wouldn't give us any money back - complete rip off.

Room Tip: Lunchbox letdown, don't come here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Knew this was a little out of town. Suited us fine. Lodge was very clean and had all we required, facilities were excellent, although seemed few tried them, private pool! Deer greeting us on balcony was a bonus.

• Stayed September 2013
TunnelMtn, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review on us, it sounds like you truly enjoyed your stay with us. Please come and visit us again, we would love to see you again. Thanks so much and see you next time.
Port Townsend, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We spent four nights here and enjoyed ourselves. The rooms are a little dated and the floors (other than the bedrooms) are tile. Our room had a very sticky bathroom door. However the room was adequately sized and the shower was wonderful. It is located a short drive from downtown Banff which makes it a quiet place. This was important as Banff is a noisy bustling city. The service was outstanding and the staff very knowledgable and helpful. I still don't know how they arranged to have an Elk family (three Does, Two little ones and a big buck) grazing less than ten feet off our deck.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from the office as possible. It can get noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TunnelMtn, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest, thank you for taking this unique opportunity to share your recent experience Tunnel Mountain Resort. I hope future travelers will read your wonderfully detailed review and use it to their benefit.
Guelph, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband, our one-year-old daughter and I were in room 162 and I have a feeling it is normally a party room. While the room itself was fine, it wasn't great, and it was a bunch of little things that annoyed me enough to only give this spot an average rating.

The interior was a bit dated (although my husband told me that's normal for ski chalets).

The tub looked dirty (black dirt that wouldn't wipe up), and there were cracks in the side.

The ceiling fan had three different lightbulbs in it (clearly visible).

A plate covering up wiring for the television was loose (my daughter knocked it a few times and could have gotten at the wires if we weren't watching carefully - a well-placed suitcase kept her out of it).

Another plate in the kitchen where I plugged in the coffee maker was also loose.

The cutting board had been melted.

The screen door's lock was broken.

One staff member was blowing leaves at 3 p.m. on a Saturday afternoon outside our room for a good 20 minutes. I wasn't annoyed because our daughter was napping - I was annoyed because we couldn't hear the TV for that entire time (leaf blowers are loud!).

Not the resort's fault (but perhaps an indication about the type of resort it is): I saw a man pee on the tree outside of our patio door. Twice.

The good: TV was nice, the coffee in the room was good and I liked that there was a sitting area away from the bedroom.

With some minor fixes, I would have given this room a "very good" rating.

***Before we had this room, I tried booking through Booking.com and booked an executive room. When I called to see about getting a playpen for my daughter, I was informed children are not allowed to stay in the executive rooms. I have no idea why this is the case, or why it was not mentioned on the Booking.com website. We ended up cancelling the deal we got through Booking.com and booking directly with the resort (we did this because we were attending a wedding at a neighbouring resort, which was way more expensive and other resorts in the area did not have the greatest reviews/space).

Room Tip: Room 162 is super close to the bus stop if you're interesting in going downtown (although none o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are very concerned to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. The overall feedback we receive from guests helps us improve for the next guests. We would welcome the opportunity to hear from you directly as we try to address your specific concerns. If you wish to contact us, please call the hotel directly
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Tunnel Mountain Resort was just great. I had self contained chalet type accommodation which I found really useful and pleasing as I was staying for 5 days. I liked that there are local shops over the road (grocery and liquor store) which was great for making breakfast etc in the mornings before heading out for the day. What I also really liked was that parking my car was free and the resort is only five minutes out of Banff town which cut down on staying at noisy hotels right in town. I would definitely stay at Tunnel Mountain again as it felt more like coming home than coming back to a hotel room after a day out exploring. Staff were friendly and there are other amenities (pool and spa) for guests as well which I didn't use but knew they were there if I wanted. The scenery surrounding the resort added to the experience of staying and loved seeing squirrels outside my unit. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was a great size and the kitchen was well stocked ready for use. The layout was great for summer and winter use. Great location and a great price for staying in the Rockies in a popular tourist town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words about our service! A comment like this brings us all great pride and big smiles when we've succeeded in providing our guest with the great experience we strive for. I hope to see you again soon!

Been to Tunnel Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!