“Hit and Miss” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
calgary
“Hit and Miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We had family visit and instead of paying for 2 rooms, decided to look for accomodation that had 2 bedrooms. The trip was booked at short notice and Tunnel Mountain Resort, was the best price, with the best location for our needs.

Upon arrival staff were very friendly. We used the dated and slightly small; but clean pool.

The 4-plex was also dated; however was clean. 2 double beds upstairs and a queen in a small bedroom downstairs.

The walls are very thin. I heard lots of external noise at night, which affected my sleep.

I would still recommend TMR. It had everything we needed and other than a dated feel, was clean and staff very friendly and helpful

• Stayed July 2012
youknowwhoIam, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. We value all feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I am writing this from the bedroom of this hotel. I did not chose it, it was the only one with room available in the entire banff town in which we are stuck because of the mudslide blocking Highway 1. At $307 (incl tax), I am expecting something of better quality than this even in High Season. The living room is ok but the door to the patio accessible by everyone does not lock, I managed to enter from the outside very easily. The bed room has only a queen size bed, is very tiny and bed sheet quality is poor. I won't comment on the 2 (and only 2) "pillows".
The worst is the bathroom. Tiny and very old. The shower is a nightmare (either cold or burning), the shower head is antiquated, the toilet bowl between the sink and the tub, all very primitive.
Low season price should be at max 100 and high season at max 200, but at 300 it is pure ripoff.
The Post Hotel in Lake Louise, where we were meant to be tonight was 380, it is a five-star resort, member of Relais & Chateau. Only $80 difference and a universe apart. Even with lthe iving room.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
youknowwhoIam, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
I am sorry to hear you weren’t pleased your stay with us; we certainly could have addressed these issues for you if you had brought them to our attention during your stay. Should you wish to discuss your stay personally, I would be happy to speak with you, please contact me at 1.800.661.1859. Thank you for your feedback as it helps us to improve.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I stay here every time we go to Banff. Situated at the top of tunnel mountain, it is conveniently located. The executive suites include a large flat screen tv, gas fireplace, balcony, heated tile flooring, his and her sinks, jacuzzi tub and steam showers. Low season rates are often under $100 and the high season rates are less expensive than many places in the park. The service has always been top notch and very friendly.
Now you tell me how you beat that!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am thrilled you always enjoy your time spent here with us and find us to be reasonably priced. I hope we can welcome you back again for future travels to Banff National Park
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Our room at the Tunnel Mountain Resort turned out to be a suite with a large room sporting a full kitchen, dining area and comfortable living room with a real fireplace as well as a separate bedroom and bath. The end wall of the living room is wall-to-wall windows (with sliding doors) overlooking the Bow Valley and Mount Norquay--all for much less than we paid for a ho-hum motel in Jasper.

Unfortunately, the building is frame construction with minimal insulation in the floor/ceiling so we were disturbed by the tramp of feet and noise of running water in the unit above. Luckily, the occupants went to sleep at a decent time so our own sleep wasn't disturbed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking towards Mount Norquay.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recently taking the opportunity to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We value your opinion.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed for a night. Was an old place, but clean. I found the layout of room strange and it was super hot. The whirlpool in the building was in the basement and was so deep I couldn't sit in it. Location was alright, abit of a walk to downtown. Got the room for a low price, do maybe we were just in the low price rooms- not sure if the other rooms were any better. I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
youknowwhoIam, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am however very sorry to read that you did not enjoy our facilities.
Fernie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We come to Banff every year usually in the fall. This year we decided to head to the Canadian Rocky Mountains in the summer, originally we had booked to stay in town but with all the traffic and noise we decided to find somewhere a little more away from all the craziness. We stumbled up on Tunnel Mountain Resort while on a hike. This place is perfect for people who want to come to the Rockies and enjoy the nature. We stayed in a “mountain cabin” these rooms are huge!!! It had a beautiful view of the mountains, and a balcony that looked on to the forest. One day some deer actually came up to our patio door. It was amazing!!!! AND it had a full kitchen which was fully equipped for us to cook our meals which allowed us to save a little money. There is also a wood burning fire place in the room which helps give the rustic feel of the old west. The staff here was so wonderful and helpful, the front office manager Jen was very accommodating and gave us a great rate on our room which was greatly appreciated. I will definitely be telling everyone to stay here when they visit Banff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments, and will be sure to share them with our team. It is very rewarding to hear we succeeded in making your stay an enjoyable one. We truly appreciate you recommending us to future travellers. I hope to welcome you back again soon.
Edmonton, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Booked a room for Canada Day Long Weekend to go for a nice family trip, when I called to book the room (1 bdrm w/ loft) I asked what was going to be charged to the credit card or held on the credit card I was using to book the room and was told no charges would be put onto the card and I could pay in full upon arrival by debit or cash the card was just used to hold the room reservation. We arrived at the "resort" at 11:30 pm we were informed by Will the same person who I spoke with to book the room that he needed to put a hold on $961 on the credit card then tried telling me he doesnt know who would have said other wise cause thats something the hotel drills into them when starting to work there, I then informed him it was HIM i spoke with and HE informed me that NO CHARGE would go to the card he proceeds to say sorry he is new and has only been working at the "resort" for 2 and a half weeks. Finally at 1:30 in the morning after having all my kids aged 8, 3 and 5 months fully wide awake he gave us our room key and allowed us access to our room. Got into the room to find a very outdated kitchen and bedding which looked like something from the 50's or 60's as well as the bathroom floor around the toilet was very dirty and the private balcony was anything but from the lowest pont my 3 year old stood taller than it and from the highest point "blocking" the neighbors balcony my 8 year old was taller than as well as the beds were so hard we may as well have slept on the floor.The next morning we woke up to find our " mounatin view" from the balcony was obstructed by trees and power lines to look at with a little peek of mounatin coming through here and there. Then at about 9:30 am we were getting ready to leave and explore for the day and I get a call on my cell phone informing me that the "resort" had put a $1900 hold on the visa. I of course went to the front desk to deal with this and have it sorted out to get a run around by front desk staff for almost an hour until Jen Breckell the front desk manager ( Who should not be allowed a job in customer service period let alone a managment position) came to "deal" with it. Jen informed me very rudely with TONS of attitude that it is not the "resorts" fault they put a $1900 hold on the visa and there was nothing she could do to fix it and i would have to phone visa and tell them to fix the issue. I told her I had already talked to visa and they said she had to call them and fix the issue as she told me there is no issue on her end to fix and that she would NOT phone visa. I called visa infront of her for them to say yet again SHE must phone them because someone on her end held $1900 not $961. She finally phoned visa and got the $1900 hold off and put the proper amount to be held and hung up thee phone and told me it was fixed and walked into her office and shut the door without so much as a Sorry for the mix up. By the time this was done it was 2pm and we left to go eat as we were all starving. We arrived back at our room a little after 8pm I had to pee badly so I rushed into the bathroom only to find a dead squirl or chipmunk laying at the bottom of the toilet.. Needless to say We packed up and checked out immediately and were refused any discount for all the troubles and ruining our weekend. It then took the "resort" 9 days in total (including weekend days) to finally take the $961 hold off the visa...

Room Tip: Avoid Tunnel Mounatin Resort is my tip for choosing a good room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
I apologise for any confusion and miscommunication regarding our check-in procedures. We require a credit card at check-in that we can place a pre-authorization on for the full amount of your stay. This very common policy and procedure in most hotels; you are of course welcome to pay for your stay at check-out however you choose whether it be cash, debit etc. Regarding the double hold on your credit card, I sincerely apologise if you found me rude or abrupt, it seemed as though you were seeking answers and not fluffiness. As per our conversation there was a computer glitch with the credit card company and I worked very hard to have this reversed for you. In regards your kitchen, the kitchens in our units have been renovated with new cabinets and counter tops within the last two years. As discussed regarding the squirrel found in your room, we do operate in a forest and if the exterior doors to the rooms are left open the animals that live in the forest may come into those units. I greatly apologise that your stay was un-pleasurable. If you would like to discuss these matters further please do not hesitate to contact me at 1-800-661-1859

Been to Tunnel Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!