“Banff´s best kept secret for the value offered” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tunnel Mountain Resort

You added Tunnel Mountain Resort to your Saves list
Tunnel Mountain Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   502 Tunnel Mountain Road | Corner of Tunnel Mountain Road and Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City, Mexico
“Banff´s best kept secret for the value offered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Our family has been celebrating Christmas in Banff for the past few years, this year we stayed at Tunnel Mountain Resort and were suprised with Banff´s best kept secret. Although it is a moderate property without luxuries we enjoyed the two jacuzzi tubs and pool. The staff is genuinely friendly and helpful, the two rooms that we had were sparkling clean and comfortably fit the 6 of us well. We have stayed at other hotels in Banff and Canmore that have kitchens as well (which is very convenient) but this kitchen and room were more practical (I loved the granite countertop too) and the price compared to the other places that we have stayed before is just unbeatable. The hotel is quiet and secluded and we all had a feel about really being in the mountains for real this time. The grandparents stayed at an excecutive suite that was very nice, even with a steam shower separated for the bathtub. New years eve was a liitle bit noisy but it was very well managed and completely expected on our end, overall I give this hotel an A+ because it combines the value and the rooms we need for our travelling needs.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
youknowwhoIam, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, I am so pleased to read that you had a very enjoyable stay with us here in Banff, and that you enjoyed the amenities and wonderful staff that Tunnel Mountain Resort has to offer. Thank you for your feedback, we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Stayed here on a Contiki tour for 2 nights. There were 3 of us in the Chalet, one person had the bedroom on the first floor and another girl and I had the 2 beds upstairs.
This Chalet was very comfortable, it was modern, it had a veranda/balcony we could sit on and relax in the fresh air. Wifi was excellent and the kitchen was very handy.
We cooked dinner one night, it was ok but there wasn't enough equipment to make spaghetti, we only had one pot and had to cook the meat in it (no saucepan), then the pasta in it which was kind of hard. Maybe reception had extras I am not sure.
There was a supermarket on the main street where you can buy food, but it may pay to check what you have to cook with before buying just so you know what is easiest.
Overall, it was really pleasant here, the bus stop is right near the Chalets and takes you into town and back easily. I really enjoyed this accommodation, especially at night when we all just relaxed with some drinks and snacks and watched tv and surfed the net. It was really relaxing and I have recommended this place to others who are traveling here this year.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I wrote the review too noisy and we spoke to the manager all was rectified and it was only an issue due to it being new years eve and it is not a regular occurance

• Stayed December 2011
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Have been to the TMR before and it was pretty decent place during those visits. This past trip was in late December 2011 and we got to the chalet and the heat was not working. I notified the front desk and they sent a house keeping staff who did not know what to do, they then notified the maintenance who then showed up an hour later and tightened the belt on the furnace fan. This worked for a little while but then noticed that the heat quit blowing again. It was a good thing this was found before we went to bed that night, as we had two babies in the chalet and would have woken up pretty cold, I then called the front desk again and later heard maintenance banging around in there hours later, louder than needed to replace the fan motor. We didn't get heat in our place till after midnight. The furnace inspection sheet on the furnace door showed that it was last inspected or worked on back in 2005, six years ago. I asked to talk with the manager and they wouldn't even let me talk to them and I waited in the morning for the manager to come in before we went to the hill and they kept giving us different times of when they would arrive, we waited and no one came. I think for a family that has attended your establishment and got that kind of service, least the manager could have come addressed the situation. In the end they gave us a discount on the the room price but we spent over 50% of the time in cold and having to ensure that their staff would provide us with the basic necessity heat in the winter.
In the morning though even with the heat, the one room by the furnace was boiling hot and the rest of the chalet was still chilly. Also the stove fan and the dishwasher both didn't work, i would suspect from their inspection procedures.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
youknowwhoIam, General Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Thank you for the review and I do apologize for the unforeseeable issues that we experienced with your furnace. Please be assured that we do inspect and clean our furnaces / hot water heaters / fireplaces and chimneys annually as part of our fire inspection certificate. Sudden maintenance issues such as malfunctioning blower belts are completely unpredictable and we do try and rectify these sudden challenges with our 24 hour maintenance services. Obviously our skilled maintenance staff was unable to rectify your situation however I assure you this is a very rare occurrence. I apologize again and please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this matter further.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I sent his email after our experience there.

My husband and I had reservations on this past Saturday night. This was to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had reserved the room quite some time ago and were SO excited to stay there.
Luckily for us my husband had lost his wallet the same week and of course everything from driver’s license to credit cards were gone which was bad enough in itself.
So I brought cash to pay for our room. We get there and because we did not have a credit card to put $50 lousy dollars for a pre-authorization, we were told that we could not stay there and out reservation was revoked. I even offered to pay the extra amount in cash to no avail.
I understand policies but I mean there was not even any consideration to the fact that we had come from Calgary for what was supposed to be a very special night. And given the circumstances, there should have been some leniency. I mean what ever happened to customer service????
Our evening and my 40th birthday was absolutely ruined and we ended up driving back to Calgary. I thank the Tunnel Mountain Resort for giving me a special day to remember.

The email above was sent to Tunnel Mountain after our experience and no one even bothered to reply back.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We did not receive the below review via email however I am happy to respond at this point. I apologize for the confusion in regards to what is required to check into our property. As with every other hotel in Banff, we require a major credit card and a piece of photo I.D. We communicate this required information numerous times throughout the reservation process and have different options guests can use PRIOR TO ARRIVAL should they not have a major credit card. This industry standard requirement is to protect our guests and the hotel. I can understand the frustration of losing a wallet; however we do not have procedures to accommodate such situations. We pride ourselves in our high level of customer service and feel we are not being unreasonable in asking for this minimum industry standard requirement. Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience and please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this matter in further detail.
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We have been several times at TMR. Just excellent. Rooms are great, and the location is amazing.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have stayed here 3 times now with my wife and friends. Every time we go we find the service awesome and very friendly. The beds in the rooms are comfy and one of the best I have ever slept on (travel a lot due to work). Last time we stayed in the Chalet and they had a real wood fireplace! The wood was even complementary. Overall experience was fantastic and will have to say for the price you will not find a better place in all of Alberta!

Room Tip: Chalets are great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
youknowwhoIam, Front Office Manager at Tunnel Mountain Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. We are happy to hear it was enjoyable and look forward to your return visit.