“Banff Aspen Lodge a Clean and Hospitable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

Save Saved
You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 33 hotels in Banff
Richfield, Wisconsin
“Banff Aspen Lodge a Clean and Hospitable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The front desk staff were very friendly, our room was very clean, the included breakfast was wonderful (both mornings there were scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, fresh fruit, granola, oatmeal, and wonderful breads such as orange date, and cranberry nut.) As you see, breakfast means a lot to me. Ha! The only downside is if you are there on a warm evening, the rooms are not air-conditioned but small fans are in the room and they help a lot. Rooms facing Banff Avenue can be noisy.

Room Tip: If you don't like any noise, get a room away from Banff Avenue.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at various different hotels and cabins throughout Banff and Jasper and this was by far our favorite!! Traveling internationally with a toddler is tough, but they accommodated us with a playpen and a quiet corner room on the top floor. (My only complaint is that the playpen was really unstable, so our son ended up sleeping in the bed with us.)

We slept with the windows open and were comfortable. I like that the living room and bedroom were separate.

The breakfast was one of the better continental ones I have had at a hotel, though nothing special.

Aside from the gorgeous room, my favorite "amenities" were the "free" libraries (where you can take a book, leave a book) and the best coffee shop in town- The Whitebark Café!! ( We ate dinner in town- Banff Tavern- so I can't comment on our hotel's restaurant aside from breakfast.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This is a nice boutique style hotel in Banff, close to town, has a ski stop very close by, they make their own granola, and the outdoor hot tubs have fire places by them which is a very nice quirky touch - perfect for relaxing after a hard day on the slopes

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Edgewood, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed three nights and would have tried to stay more, but no A/C. We were told only 10 hotels downtown had A/C because there is only a week or so of hot weather and A/C wasn't needed. We were given a couple of small fans and found the temperatures ok for sleeping. We had a third floor, Moose Avenue, room. The view was awesome. There was a little street noise early evening, but quieted down for sleeping. Breakfast gets five stars. There is plenty of seating but the lines can back up when tour buses are getting ready to leave.

We walked to Bow Falls and the mosquitos brought us back. We were told deet wipes work best for mosquito control, AFTER we returned to the hotel. Grocery store is a short walk away.

We found the rooms very clean. We caught hotel staff cleaning the tile floors in the lobby on their hands and knees!

Room Tip: Pick street side rooms on the third floor for views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The location is fantastic - just one block and you are in the midst of everything downtown. The bed was pretty comfortable. It was a bit hot the first night with no a/c, but then the other 2 nights we opened the patio door and ran the fan and it definitely helped cool things off. The size of the room was decent - there were 2 sinks which made it easy for multiple people to get ready. The internet was free but definitely slow at times. Parking was also free (this is not the case with all hotels in Banff). The breakfast was delicious and exceeded our expectations. I was worried about the noise from the people in the hot tub (it's in the middle of the hotel) but the fan drowned out any noise so it was fine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
new orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It started off bad when we made the reservations they quoted us one price but when they asked the age of my son (16) the price was raised by 7 dollars. On arrival after my credit card was given we were informed the hotel had no air conditioner and oh yea we could not cancelled the room or we would still have to pay for it. Let me tell you at the end of July you need AC not to say you have to leave the door open and hear all the street noise at night. On trying to park which the hotel said they had off street parking the garage was at 6 feet height which a modern day SUV is 6 feet 2 inches the lot behind the building was full . The lady at the desk than said I could park on the street. Never saying that they could block off a spot in the rear lot, but they sure took care of the tour bus. The room was dirty once we got in even though the room was not what we requested it was one queen and 2 twins upon complaining we were showed another room on the first floor. There was blood on the bathroom door. 6 light bulbs were burned out, towels were not in the room for 3 people the first night. The 2 small desk top fans were full of dust the toilet handle was broken and the bed dust ruffle was torn and worn. The next morning I went to use the guest laundry and went to the front fest for change the guy at the desk said he cold not give me change for American money and I needed to go to the Safeway and buy something and get change. Once I did that the laundry room was a disgrace dust at least 1 inch thick the dryer did not work properly and no room to move around to fold clothes or sort them . The maintence guy came in the next morning to fix some of my complaints but on fix the burned out light bulbs he changed 4 and said that was all he could change. We know the reason because the led bulbs cost about $20.00 each and there is no way he could not get to them until we checked out( I know this because I am an electrical contractor) on checking out again I had a problem with the guy at the front desk, I needed for someone to check my room and give me my $250 damage deposit back. I have never herd of giving a damage deposit to stay in a hotel.
With business management like this PLEASE DO YOURSEF a favor and STAYAWAY from here!!

• Stayed July 2014
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Banff Aspen Lodge this week while sightseeing in the area, and would have given it perfect scores except for the fact that there is no air conditioning in the hotel, and we were there during hot days. There are signs at the front desk and in the rooms suggesting that guests close up their drapes during the day and open windows at night to try and keep the rooms cooler. Plus they give you a small fan in the room. We borrowed a second fan and followed their instructions, but still found the room very warm, making it hard to sleep at night. The only other minor negatives were the very weak/slow toilet flushing mechanism and no microwave in the room.
Everything else was great: quiet comfortable suite type room with bedroom separated from living area, updated decor and quality linens, two sink/counters, comfy bed and pillows, Keurig coffee maker and small fridge, balcony with chairs, everything clean, very friendly/helpful staff, wonderful breakfast buffet provided in a basement dining area, lovely inner courtyard with 2 hot tubs (one was being repaired) and gas fire place, and good location close to all the restaurants and shops. The only reason we would not stay at Banff Aspen again is the lack of AC if we were traveling during the summer months. I'm sure it would be fine the rest of the year.
Additional note: Beware the mosquitoes. They were hungry which prevented us from spending much time on the balcony.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Banff Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!