“Great downtown location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

Save Saved
You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Edgewood, Kentucky
“Great downtown location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed three nights and would have tried to stay more, but no A/C. We were told only 10 hotels downtown had A/C because there is only a week or so of hot weather and A/C wasn't needed. We were given a couple of small fans and found the temperatures ok for sleeping. We had a third floor, Moose Avenue, room. The view was awesome. There was a little street noise early evening, but quieted down for sleeping. Breakfast gets five stars. There is plenty of seating but the lines can back up when tour buses are getting ready to leave.

We walked to Bow Falls and the mosquitos brought us back. We were told deet wipes work best for mosquito control, AFTER we returned to the hotel. Grocery store is a short walk away.

We found the rooms very clean. We caught hotel staff cleaning the tile floors in the lobby on their hands and knees!

Room Tip: Pick street side rooms on the third floor for views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BanffAspen, General Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for your review.

It is true that most hotels in Banff do not have AC. It is only truly hot a few weeks each summer and thus keeping with our environmental initiatives do not have AC

Glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The location is fantastic - just one block and you are in the midst of everything downtown. The bed was pretty comfortable. It was a bit hot the first night with no a/c, but then the other 2 nights we opened the patio door and ran the fan and it definitely helped cool things off. The size of the room was decent - there were 2 sinks which made it easy for multiple people to get ready. The internet was free but definitely slow at times. Parking was also free (this is not the case with all hotels in Banff). The breakfast was delicious and exceeded our expectations. I was worried about the noise from the people in the hot tub (it's in the middle of the hotel) but the fan drowned out any noise so it was fine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
new orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It started off bad when we made the reservations they quoted us one price but when they asked the age of my son (16) the price was raised by 7 dollars. On arrival after my credit card was given we were informed the hotel had no air conditioner and oh yea we could not cancelled the room or we would still have to pay for it. Let me tell you at the end of July you need AC not to say you have to leave the door open and hear all the street noise at night. On trying to park which the hotel said they had off street parking the garage was at 6 feet height which a modern day SUV is 6 feet 2 inches the lot behind the building was full . The lady at the desk than said I could park on the street. Never saying that they could block off a spot in the rear lot, but they sure took care of the tour bus. The room was dirty once we got in even though the room was not what we requested it was one queen and 2 twins upon complaining we were showed another room on the first floor. There was blood on the bathroom door. 6 light bulbs were burned out, towels were not in the room for 3 people the first night. The 2 small desk top fans were full of dust the toilet handle was broken and the bed dust ruffle was torn and worn. The next morning I went to use the guest laundry and went to the front fest for change the guy at the desk said he cold not give me change for American money and I needed to go to the Safeway and buy something and get change. Once I did that the laundry room was a disgrace dust at least 1 inch thick the dryer did not work properly and no room to move around to fold clothes or sort them . The maintence guy came in the next morning to fix some of my complaints but on fix the burned out light bulbs he changed 4 and said that was all he could change. We know the reason because the led bulbs cost about $20.00 each and there is no way he could not get to them until we checked out( I know this because I am an electrical contractor) on checking out again I had a problem with the guy at the front desk, I needed for someone to check my room and give me my $250 damage deposit back. I have never herd of giving a damage deposit to stay in a hotel.
With business management like this PLEASE DO YOURSEF a favor and STAYAWAY from here!!

• Stayed July 2014
Hi cfb 107

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your satisfaction. As you can tell from previous reviews this is by no means a normal standard. I have spoken with all departments regarding the concerns with your stay.

Most hotels do take a security deposit of some sort whether on a credit card or cash...this is normal practice but may not be made known to guests. We disclose all fees to our guests so they are aware and not taken by surprise.

I invite you to come back and stay with us again and I am confident you will experience your stay the way you should have.
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Banff Aspen Lodge this week while sightseeing in the area, and would have given it perfect scores except for the fact that there is no air conditioning in the hotel, and we were there during hot days. There are signs at the front desk and in the rooms suggesting that guests close up their drapes during the day and open windows at night to try and keep the rooms cooler. Plus they give you a small fan in the room. We borrowed a second fan and followed their instructions, but still found the room very warm, making it hard to sleep at night. The only other minor negatives were the very weak/slow toilet flushing mechanism and no microwave in the room.
Everything else was great: quiet comfortable suite type room with bedroom separated from living area, updated decor and quality linens, two sink/counters, comfy bed and pillows, Keurig coffee maker and small fridge, balcony with chairs, everything clean, very friendly/helpful staff, wonderful breakfast buffet provided in a basement dining area, lovely inner courtyard with 2 hot tubs (one was being repaired) and gas fire place, and good location close to all the restaurants and shops. The only reason we would not stay at Banff Aspen again is the lack of AC if we were traveling during the summer months. I'm sure it would be fine the rest of the year.
Additional note: Beware the mosquitoes. They were hungry which prevented us from spending much time on the balcony.

Hi Colt,

Thank you for your review.

It is true we do not have AC in our hotel rooms. It is generally very warm only a few weeks during the summer, and thus staying with our environmental initiatives being in a National Park we have oversized sliding patio doors to cool down the rooms in the evenings.
Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

BINGO!!!. I reviewed this place on line as we drive into Banff. Was extremely pleased the minute I walked in the lobby. The staff was wonderful. Miss Picky that I am was pleased the minute I walked in our room. Room very very clean!!! Bed and pillows comfy. Breakfast was super and staff was busy with keeping it clean and buffet full. All food was excellent--really excellent.
Liked this place so much for cleanliness , location, breakfast and price we stayed an extra day. Since our room had already been booked they moved us to a new room. It was even sweeter. Gosh...this is really a nice nice place.

Stayed July 2014
BanffAspen, General Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hi Romelle,

You WIN!!! :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us Romelle.

We look forward to your next stay with us in the future.
scotland,uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel was very clean and modern in a quiet yet central location. The reception staff where more than helpful with any questions we had. The hotel also had 2 small hot tubs with a fire overlooking one of them, this would be brilliant after a days skiing. We were there in the Summer for 2 nights and we only had a quick dip. The only negative points i would make was it had no air con and i was very warm. This wouldn't be an issue in Winter. It also didn'.t have a bar area, on the plus side the hotel was very peaceful and quiet and we were able to sleep without any problem.

Room Tip: hotel on the main road, a room to the back would be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am glad our service levels exceeded your expectations. This is of course what we strive for. Its true we don't have a bar but there are many options within town that are close by.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for seven nights. The hotel is clean and the room was nice. It does not have air conditioning, which is a problem at the end of a summer day. However, at night, if you leave the door to balcony open, the room cools down. The staff was very nice and helpful.
I had two issues with the hotel. The first is that the Internet is very very slow. It is practically useless during the morning and in the evening when everyone is in their room accessing the Internet. The hotel leaves a card in your room stating that the Internet should be used only for email and not for streaming. When I complained at the desk they sad that too many people are watching movies. This excuse may have been valid about 15 years ago, but it is pretty silly in 2014.
The second issue is that the breakfast room is too small. You have to get there before 8:45, or else you may wait in line for 30 minutes to get a table.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second or third floor. The ground floor rooms are accessible to passers by on...
Hi David,

Thank you so much for your comments.

You are right we do not offer air conditioning in our hotel rooms. Being in a national park we try to preserve the environment every way we can. With our large balcony doors and windows it does definitely cool down in the evening and you can enjoy the mountain air.

Thank you for your comments regarding the wireless internet. It is tough when everyone is on the network at the same time. I will check with our IT department if there is a way we can adjust our bandwidth.

Appreciate your comments.

Been to Banff Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!