“Bad management with cheap owner” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

Save Saved
You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 33 hotels in Banff
new orleans
“Bad management with cheap owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It started off bad when we made the reservations they quoted us one price but when they asked the age of my son (16) the price was raised by 7 dollars. On arrival after my credit card was given we were informed the hotel had no air conditioner and oh yea we could not cancelled the room or we would still have to pay for it. Let me tell you at the end of July you need AC not to say you have to leave the door open and hear all the street noise at night. On trying to park which the hotel said they had off street parking the garage was at 6 feet height which a modern day SUV is 6 feet 2 inches the lot behind the building was full . The lady at the desk than said I could park on the street. Never saying that they could block off a spot in the rear lot, but they sure took care of the tour bus. The room was dirty once we got in even though the room was not what we requested it was one queen and 2 twins upon complaining we were showed another room on the first floor. There was blood on the bathroom door. 6 light bulbs were burned out, towels were not in the room for 3 people the first night. The 2 small desk top fans were full of dust the toilet handle was broken and the bed dust ruffle was torn and worn. The next morning I went to use the guest laundry and went to the front fest for change the guy at the desk said he cold not give me change for American money and I needed to go to the Safeway and buy something and get change. Once I did that the laundry room was a disgrace dust at least 1 inch thick the dryer did not work properly and no room to move around to fold clothes or sort them . The maintence guy came in the next morning to fix some of my complaints but on fix the burned out light bulbs he changed 4 and said that was all he could change. We know the reason because the led bulbs cost about $20.00 each and there is no way he could not get to them until we checked out( I know this because I am an electrical contractor) on checking out again I had a problem with the guy at the front desk, I needed for someone to check my room and give me my $250 damage deposit back. I have never herd of giving a damage deposit to stay in a hotel.
With business management like this PLEASE DO YOURSEF a favor and STAYAWAY from here!!

• Stayed July 2014

729 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Banff Aspen Lodge this week while sightseeing in the area, and would have given it perfect scores except for the fact that there is no air conditioning in the hotel, and we were there during hot days. There are signs at the front desk and in the rooms suggesting that guests close up their drapes during the day and open windows at night to try and keep the rooms cooler. Plus they give you a small fan in the room. We borrowed a second fan and followed their instructions, but still found the room very warm, making it hard to sleep at night. The only other minor negatives were the very weak/slow toilet flushing mechanism and no microwave in the room.
Everything else was great: quiet comfortable suite type room with bedroom separated from living area, updated decor and quality linens, two sink/counters, comfy bed and pillows, Keurig coffee maker and small fridge, balcony with chairs, everything clean, very friendly/helpful staff, wonderful breakfast buffet provided in a basement dining area, lovely inner courtyard with 2 hot tubs (one was being repaired) and gas fire place, and good location close to all the restaurants and shops. The only reason we would not stay at Banff Aspen again is the lack of AC if we were traveling during the summer months. I'm sure it would be fine the rest of the year.
Additional note: Beware the mosquitoes. They were hungry which prevented us from spending much time on the balcony.

Saint Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

BINGO!!!. I reviewed this place on line as we drive into Banff. Was extremely pleased the minute I walked in the lobby. The staff was wonderful. Miss Picky that I am was pleased the minute I walked in our room. Room very very clean!!! Bed and pillows comfy. Breakfast was super and staff was busy with keeping it clean and buffet full. All food was excellent--really excellent.
Liked this place so much for cleanliness , location, breakfast and price we stayed an extra day. Since our room had already been booked they moved us to a new room. It was even sweeter. Gosh...this is really a nice nice place.

Stayed July 2014
BanffAspen, General Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hi Romelle,

You WIN!!! :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us Romelle.

We look forward to your next stay with us in the future.
scotland,uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel was very clean and modern in a quiet yet central location. The reception staff where more than helpful with any questions we had. The hotel also had 2 small hot tubs with a fire overlooking one of them, this would be brilliant after a days skiing. We were there in the Summer for 2 nights and we only had a quick dip. The only negative points i would make was it had no air con and i was very warm. This wouldn't be an issue in Winter. It also didn'.t have a bar area, on the plus side the hotel was very peaceful and quiet and we were able to sleep without any problem.

Room Tip: hotel on the main road, a room to the back would be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.

I am glad our service levels exceeded your expectations. This is of course what we strive for. Its true we don't have a bar but there are many options within town that are close by.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Jerusalem, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for seven nights. The hotel is clean and the room was nice. It does not have air conditioning, which is a problem at the end of a summer day. However, at night, if you leave the door to balcony open, the room cools down. The staff was very nice and helpful.
I had two issues with the hotel. The first is that the Internet is very very slow. It is practically useless during the morning and in the evening when everyone is in their room accessing the Internet. The hotel leaves a card in your room stating that the Internet should be used only for email and not for streaming. When I complained at the desk they sad that too many people are watching movies. This excuse may have been valid about 15 years ago, but it is pretty silly in 2014.
The second issue is that the breakfast room is too small. You have to get there before 8:45, or else you may wait in line for 30 minutes to get a table.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second or third floor. The ground floor rooms are accessible to passers by on...
Hi David,

Thank you so much for your comments.

You are right we do not offer air conditioning in our hotel rooms. Being in a national park we try to preserve the environment every way we can. With our large balcony doors and windows it does definitely cool down in the evening and you can enjoy the mountain air.

Thank you for your comments regarding the wireless internet. It is tough when everyone is on the network at the same time. I will check with our IT department if there is a way we can adjust our bandwidth.

Appreciate your comments.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here while attending a conference at the fairmount Banff springs. The customer service and friendliness of the staff was really good. The hotel is perfect in its location and the back rooms are so quiet I could sleep with the balcony door open. It's not swanky but it's really very good. I would stay again. The fairmount Banff springs by the way is like a Disney resort - no personal touch and you won't escape hoards of tourists everywhere.

Stayed July 2014
Hi Francescini,

We are glad you appreciated our personal touches. As a smaller independent hotel these are the things we are able to focus on.

Thanks for staying with us.
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Banff Aspen Lodge is very clean, as a mom this is important to me. It is centrally located. We stayed for 2 nights and had a package deal that included passes to the gondola and hot springs. Also breakfast was included. It was a good deal. We would definitely stay here again. Only things of issue - very hot and too small of a fan provided, need recycling bin in room, small hot tub closed for work, and we couldn't take items from hot breakfast for a to-go breakfast even though we had breakfast included in our price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hi Mommabeetle,

Thank you so much for your comments. We do offer a breakfast to go bagged option for our guests who leave early in the morning, also if guests want to take their breakfast to their room they are more than welcome. I will speak with our Breakfast room manager as a reminder of this.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Been to Banff Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!