“Brilliant resort, brilliant hotel, good breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Brilliant resort, brilliant hotel, good breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Banff is a place you will want to return to. We have been here now three times, and the Aspen Lodge twice. We can not speak highly enough of the town, and the surrounding area. Wildlife is never far away. The breakfast was superb, if you can eat a stack of pancakes go for it, if not sharing is the answer. I hope that one day we can return, and will stay at the Aspen.

Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

A wonderful hotel , friendly and homely. Rooms were beautiful decorated a good size with a nice bathroom , very comfy beds . The breakfast was all local and homemade produce , Buffet style continental which suited us . We stayed here for three nights and it allowed us to explore Banff and local landmarks . They had an outside hot tub which was relaxing after a day out exploring. Definitely would stay here again .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
n ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights in August . Location excellent and no problem with noise even though on main road. Staff very helpful and breakfast being provided was a great bonus as majority of rooms tend to be room only. Hot tubs an excellent way of relaxing at the end of the day - would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Slidell, La
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days and chose this place based on previous very positive reviews from trip advisor. After our experience, I would rate this hotel as average, and that's being generous!
Location wise, it's a few blocks from the middle of town and an easy walk to most restaurants. However it is right on the Main Street Banff Ave which is chocked with all manner of traffic (especially tour buses and motorcycles) from morning to night. You really can't enjoy sitting on your balcony because of the noise and fumes. Finding a motel a block or two off the main drag would make for a much more soothing setting. The rooms were on the small side but had comfortable beds and an updated bathroom. Beware however that there is NO air conditioning! Although it cooled off at night, the room got too hot during the late afternoon and opening windows or doors was not a great option because of the traffic noise. Rooms come equipped with a very small fridge which in our room made constant gurgling noises. The breakfast was one of the bright spots. They had homemade granola, fresh fruit and a variety of freshly baked muffins every morning. Several hot tubs were in a central courtyard which might be nice in the winter but weren't so inviting in the summer heat. The parking lot was a source of some frustration. It was about as small as you can get and still call it a parking lot. Maneuvering the car in and out was a real chore and we feel lucky that we left with no nicks or dents! I should add a few other positives. Rooms were super clean and staff were friendly and helpful. However, considering the price, I think you could find a better option for your stay in Banff.

• Stayed August 2013
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel’s continental breakfast, clean guestrooms and friendly staff! The hotel does not have air conditioning as we are an environmentally conscious property and our location in the Canadian Rockies means that the temperature generally cools off in mountains at night. Banff can be busy in the summer months; luckily the hotel is located within a few minutes of so many differing hiking trails where you can go if you want to escape and enjoy the great outdoors. I hope you enjoyed your time in Banff National Park~
Christy - Business Development Manager
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed here several nights at the end of July and had a good stay, but there were enough issues that I would consider not returning. The room was spacious and clean so if that's all you need, this is a good choice, though pricey. I had a room for two so there was a Queen bed in one area, then the bathroom and a mini-fridge, then a separate sitting area. There is no AC in the rooms but that didn't lead to any room temp problems, even though it was in the 80s when I was there. It does result in noise issues though (see below).
The location is excellent - a five minute walk into town and all the restaurants and many people take that walk from the nearby hotels and apartments. However, without AC, you need to have the windows open to keep the room cool. That means every night you are awakened by people walking down the street in front of the hotel, especially when the bars let out late at night. At first I thought it was hotel guests but you're so close to the road that you get a lot of road, street, and pedestrian noise. With no AC you have to choose between quiet and hot or cool and difficult to sleep.
The entire time of my stay the guest laundry was out of order, as was one of the two hot tubs. The elevator also was problematic so I carried my luggage up the stairs. I see from other reviews that the elevator finally got shut for repairs and that the laundry still didn't work later on. I also agree with other reviewers that the parking spaces are incredibly tight, especially for an area where many people are driving pickups, SUVs, and minivans. They should widen the lines and eliminate two spots because there were several spots each night that couldn't be used because a bicycle could barely fit in the spot, let alone a car. They were renovating the front of the hotel and I think that's great but that time and money should have been spent on making sure what was open in the hotel worked every day.
The free breakfast was a basic continental breakfast and fine. The staff were helpful and nice. I just think that there are probably better options available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you for the review. I am happy to let you know that the elevator, both hot tubs and elevator are all back in service. We were waiting for parts for these amenities and unfortunately this meant they were out of order for a few days. I do hope you choose to stay with us again to truly experience the Banff Aspen Lodge; especially as we are now offering a deluxe continental breakfast with cold meat and cheeses!
Danville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We were stay in hotel for 2 nights at the end of July. There is no air conditioning in the room and we were at the third floor. It was so hot! Elevator was broken, we had to carry all our luggages to 3rd floor. Wash machine was broken too, but the young man at the front desk didn't seem to know. I called first ,he told me laundry room is at lobby and I can use it. I carried all my cloth to lobby, then the lady at the front desk told me machine was broken. That young man didn't apologize to me at all, instead he said laundry service is complimentary ,some hotels don't even have it. So I had to carry my cloth back to 3rd floor by stairs, only to blame myself expecting too much from this hotel. Breakfast was same every day, no meat only cold boiled eggs. One of the hot tub also was under repair when we were there. Will not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and I apologize that you did not receive the level of customer service that you should have. I have passed your review onto our Front Office Manager to review with her team and use as a learning tool. As said previously, customer service is something that the hotel prides itself on and your feedback will help us to remind our staff of our service expectations
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you're looking for a destination hotel, the Banff Aspen Lodge probably isn't what you want, but if you're on your way somewhere and looking for a solid stopover spot for a night along the way, this place is it -- clean, comfortable and accommodating.

The hotel, despite some pretty extensive renovations to the rooms and the lobby and pool areas, remains somewhat dated -- old TVs and in-room refrigerators, a single small elevator and a steam room and sauna that won't have anybody thinking "spa." Parking is limited and the spaces are tight. The restaurant is downstairs and serves a complimentary continental breakfast to stay or to go.

That said, the people at the Banff Aspen Lodge are first-rate. They aim to please and they make the most of what they have to work with. We stayed twice within a week -- coming and going to our destination -- and the stay on the way back was far better than our first experience.

When I mentioned we had a very noisy room during our first stay -- it was either the ventilation system or some other inner mechanical working that weezed and howled like Darth Vader all night long -- the young lady at the front desk apologized profusely and informed the manager right away. Shortly after we settled in our room, she provided a note wishing us a better stay and two chocolate bars (winning our six-year-old son over) and checked to make sure there was no such noise this time around. That gesture went a long way.

The Banff Aspen Lodge isn't trendy, it isn't upscale and it offers no pretentions about being either. It is what it is: reasonably priced, clean and the service, at least for us, made up for the lack of amenities.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room if possible.