“Love this hotel, with one exception....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

Save Saved
You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Dallas, Texas
“Love this hotel, with one exception....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel every year for several years now. The location is great, two blocks from shops and restaurants. It is maintained very well. Every year we can see the improvements, rooms being renovated, new bedding, common areas maintained very well. We love the spa area; that is probably the number one reason we select this hotel each time. The breakfast is perfect. The negatives - 1. This year when we checked in, the types of rooms we had reserved were NOT available and there was nothing else available. I just wonder why I reserved a specific room type if I can't have that when I arrive? We were given a room with twin beds and the twin beds were so short that my feet hung off the ends, and I am only 5'5". We were told that we could use the sofa as a pull-out, which we tried - the mattress on the sofa bed was about 3 inches thick - not useable...... 2. WiFi - this has been a problem at this hotel ever since they started offering WiFi. It is slower than dial-up! And most of the time, you can't even get on.... Last year we asked about the slowness and were told that they were going to upgrade. We just returned from our trip and it is just as BAD as ever. I have not encountered service this poor in MANY years. You can't check email, you can't log on to research something you want to do while there, it is just so frustrating! We found ourselves going down to the coffee shop so we could access information we needed.

Room Tip: When reserving your room, check before traveling to confirm that the type of room you reserved is wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize that you did not receive the room type you had requested. Can you please send me an email (sales@banffaspenlodge.com) with your reservation details so that I can investigate this further? The hotel did upgrade our Internet last fall and the service has improved. If you happened to be using the Internet while the majority of our other guests were also using it, the speed may have been slower. Look forward to hearing from you~
Christy – Business Development Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Husband and I just got back from a nights stay at the Aspen, first time we have stayed there. We selected it based on trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed ! The checkin was fast and courteous, and the premium room we got was very clean and quiet. We faced the back side, not the street and it was perfect. The rooms are redone in a very modern, sleek style and I couldn't find fault with anything. The hot tub sauna and steam room facilities are some of the best we have found especially in the town of Banff. Next morning we went for the breakfast which was included, it's not extensive but was fine for us. He homemade granola with fruit and yogurt was delicious. All in all we got great value for the money and with its proximity to all stores and restaurants in Banff it's a great choice.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street might be a bit noisy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed our ‘World Famous’ homemade granola and your time at the hotel. Look forward to seeing you on your next Banff Getaway~
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was located on the avenue and was a short walk to everything in town. Rooms are new, clean, and up to date with travel amenities ( mini fridge, coffee maker, iron ect.). The courtyard w/ hot tubs is also amazing. Staff was overly accommodating, going as far as keeping the hot tub open an extra few minutes for some sore skiers. Complimentary breakfast was average and the only complaint would the lack of large towels, it was kind of like drying with a face cloth. All in all great hotel and mixed with ski deal a great value.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review and I am happy to read that our staff looked after you during your stay! I have passed your comment about the towel sizes onto our Executive Housekeeper. Hope to see you again~
cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

far better than the 3* awarded, the staff on reception are all very helpful and friendly at all times, had our main dealings with an English guy who was very obliging, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.
RECEPTION STAFF ARE A TRUE ASSET TO THIS HOTEL AND ENHANCE THE GUESTS STAY.
Breakfast was just perfect to start off a day of skiing - do have a couple of suggestions though to keep more butter on the tables as had to keep asking for butter , also one useful tip would be to dress each table with a small jug of milk for adding to tea and coffee as had to either take hot beverages to the breakfast bar to add milk or take the milk away from the bar to take to our table ( i know that this is not the fault of the hotel as it is a private company who provide the breakfast service).
Excellent location
Room very comfortable, warm and quiet.
Hottubs excellent -
did not use sauna or steam room so unable to comment.
Overall a thouroughly fabulous time spent in Banff at the Aspen Lodge - would definitely stay again

Room Tip: we asked our agen to request a quiet room as had read one or two comments on tripadvisor about peopl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your Banff Aspen Lodge experience. I am glad that our Front Office staff were able to help you during your time at the hotel. I have passed your comments onto them! The hotel does run our Breakfast Room so thank you for your feedback. It is a great suggestion to have the milk on the tables. We are always looking for ways to make things more efficient during breakfast; I will speak with the Breakfast Room Manager to see if this is feasible while maintaining Alberta Health Services requirements.
Look forward to seeing you again~
Oshawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We came in very late and it was greeted by a very pleasant night auditor who gave us all the info we required quickly and then we were off to bed. The room was clean, quiet and in a good location. The breakfast was a perfect way to start our day with healthy options. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the breakfast staff as efficiently waited our table and provided us with drinks. Overall, although short this was a lovely stay. Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Fantastic location, awesome front desk, nice little pool and great size rooms! All fantabulous and i would stay at this hotel again and again if ever in banff!!! My only downer was that the wifi was a bit shoddy in the room and had to constantly come down to the reception to use. Im sure that can be improved though :)

• Stayed April 2012
I am happy to hear that the Banff Aspen Lodge was the best hotel of your trip and I hope you are able to visit us again!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

If I was to come back go Banff, this is where I would choose to stay. I was here for a work/skiing trip and at first was underwhelmed from the outside view...
To my surprise the rooms were great and well furnished with all amenities needed. I only had the standard room which was very nice, and I did get to see other room types as well where friends were staying. Very comfortable, great location, comfy beds, bathroom a little basic, but met all requirements.
Loved the views from my balcony day and night. One of my colleagues was quite ill and needed an emergency doctor, the front desk staff were fantastic (not just during this but throughout our stay). We had to be out all day and they checked in on our colleague and made sure she had some food and was okay for us. Breakfast room was gorgeous, full of character, and though I am not a granola fan, I thought I would try the house specialty and was really surprised how much I enjoyed their whole breakfast, especially the famous granola! Will recommend this property for many reasons including the location, didn't want to leave.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Banff Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!