“Good Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Banff Aspen Lodge

Save Saved
You added Banff Aspen Lodge to your Saves list
Banff Aspen Lodge
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   401 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A9, Canada (Formerly Traveller's Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 33 hotels in Banff
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for 5 nights. It's located in a good position as it's not directly in the middle of the town center. The rooms were very average, nothing special. Breakfast was ok, very average to. The hot tub was good. My only concern was they had taken several payment off my credit card of $508. When I advised them of this, they had no idea what it was. Thankfully the payments were reimbursed back on my credit card but it certainly didn't give me a very nice feeling, especially if I hadn't noticed.

716 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here about 5 years ago, before the upgrades were done. But wow! What a difference!!!

We were just going to Banff to get away and go skiing for opening weekend. We wanted a place with an outdoor tub, fun, but nothing upscale. My man hadn't been to this place before, and he loved it. I've stayed in a lot of places in Banff, but this one is my favourite right now. Great service, very pleasant staff, the rooms were great, and cozie beds (unlike they were before the renos)!

We got a basic room with a queen and two singles. The two singles were off in their own little section seperated by a wall. There were two sinks, and average bathroom. We paid $99.00.

It wasn't loud at night having the door facing the hot tub like most rooms there, and then our balcony facing Banff Ave. It was perfect.

We will more than likely stay here during the ski season for sure.

The free breakfast seems, nice at the desk. But in reality, we wouldn't do that again. You walk into the 'breakfast room' that's nicely presented. But they only serve yougurt, breads, fruit, and cereal. It's great for the basics, but there's nothing for non-wheat or lactose-free eaters (I suppose the fruit medley, but that gets old). Not even a cold boiled egg! haha!

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in October and enjoyed it very much. The rooms are very comfortable and the staff very friendly and helpful. The location is within easy walking distance of downtown. We would stay again with no hesitation

Room Tip: I don't know if our room was typical, but there were two sleeping areas with a bath in between...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed here a couple years in a row now for mine and my husbands anniversary and we are about to head back again this year. We checked out some of the other "fancier" hotels this year but we just feel that for an extra $100-200 a night for Rimrock or fairmont they don't have that much more added value than this hotel.

We love the outdoor jacuzzi's/hotubs. They have nice ambiance and have never been to crowded while we have been there.

The rooms are clean, modernized and comfortable. Nothing fancy but definetely above standard for a hotel of this price in banff.

The location is great. Quick walk to downtown so if you head into "town" for dinner and wine, you don't need to worry about driving home after a few drinks.

The breakfast is basic but good for free.

We will plan to come back year after year.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I spent the November long weekend in Banff and were really impressed with this hotel. It was a romantic getaway that exceeded our expectations.

The building is in great shape. It was -20C outside and the large window/balcony door was tight sealed - no drafts, no condensation. Heating is underslab which is extremely comfortable and easy on our feet. The room seemed to have been recently renovated, with recessed LED lights throughout the suite. The bath tub looked brand new, and the bathroom tiles were really nice Carpets also looked brand new both inside the suite and in the hallways. Housekeeping was excellent - the room was very clean when we arrived and during our stay. We stayed in room 242, which was DEAD QUIET. No noise from neighbooring rooms, no noise from elevators; other guests using the jacuzzis/hot tubs were very quiet and considerate. The bed is very small (double size) but comfortable. We were only provided 2 pillows, but upon calling the front desk 4 more pillows were sent immediately to our room even though it was almost 10 pm. Staff was extremely friendly (I have to send our huge thanks to the two guys working on Nov 10/11 and to the girl with the Aussie accent on Nov 11/12) and always willing to go above and beyond our requests. They provided us with great advice for stuff to do in town and in the surrounding areas.

Parking is underground, FREE, and HEATED, which was a huge plus during our stay, as temperatures dropped down to -20C. Breakfast was very simple, but it was FREE as well. There was no source of protein, but we could tell the pastries were baked there, and not brought from a grocery store (like most other hotels in this price point). Internet worked great, fast enough for general browsing (email, youtube, and for us to search stuff to do in the area).

The location is great. 5 min walk to the town core, restaurants, and Safeway is around the corner. It was very cold but the walk is so short and pleasant that we couldn't have asked for more.

Really, for about $100/night this hotel is a steal of a deal. I have never paid so little and got so much when it comes to accommodation. It is not perfect, but at this price point it is really impressive.

My only complain is about our own stupidity for not bringing our swimsuits - the hot tubs/jacuzzis outside looked tempting. I heard there's no AC, so I would be aware of this if staying there in July/August. However, I will definitely go back there especially if over the winter.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel provides a very pleasant place to stay in Banff. It is located in the centre of town although is not noisy during the night. The room we had was very large and comfortable, although the bed was a little soft for our liking. The bathroom was a good size too and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful each time we spoke with them. Breakfast is provided and had a good range to choose from. Banff is a beautiful place to visit and this hotel is a great place to stay at a by reasonsable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BanffAspen, Manager at Banff Aspen Lodge, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Banff Aspen Lodge! I am happy to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Banff National Park. Hope to see you on your next Banff Getaway~
Christy - Business Development Manager
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked this hotel for our final destination for our travels of Canada. When we got here by a very expensive bus (we later found out there were much cheaper and friendlier ways of getting into Banff!!!) we looked at the hotel and realised Banff is one big ski resort. We don't ski.

So anyway, the hotel was nice, we got given a double queen room as the room we had on the 2nd floor was smaller and a couple who wanted a view asked if we could swap. So we did, the room was huge. It was split in two so we basically had two rooms for the price of one!! The view from our window was of the tree with christmas lights and a mountain, not bad I thought!
The only down fall was, as it was on the ground floor it looked like anyone could walk in and we couldn't keep the net curtains undrawn as everyone could see in. But in the mornings you could see animal footprints on your window doorstep which were really cool!

Our room was right as the back, so we had to walk by the hot pools while people were in them which was a bit uncomfortable, and we had to walk into the cold back into another building to go for breakfast, it's not really connected, make sure you wrap up warm!

Breakfast was okay, museli, breads, eggs, fruits. The only downfall about breakfast was the staff topping up the fruit, but just pouring fresh fruit on top of the old fruit, so when you got down to the end, the fruit at the bottom and the juice was sour.

We got really nice butters, jams and breads though. I was slightly surprised at the porridge as it was salted, they didn't give you a choice so my friend had a bit of a surprise when she had a mouthful of porridge to find out it wasn't plain porridge but just salty.

The location was okay, Banff is just one road, there's lots of the same shops, stocking the same stuff. Minus the odd ski shop, Roots & Quiksilver shops.

Sulphur Mountain is aorund a 20minute walk up the hill, or a 10minute bus journey it was a $1 each way I think!

Lake Louise is around a 45minute bus ride, we caught a ski bus for $15 return outside the partamagon hotel. The bus drops you off at the Lake Louise ski slopes and there's a free bus which takes you to the chataeux and the actual lake. Becareful because if you're not used to gap year students or immature behavour the kids on the bus can really annoy you, espechcially when they start talking about innaproriate things, but the bus was just full of students so we were out numbered. But it's cheaper than getting the brewster we were told and you lose them after the slopes so that's okay :)

If you don't ski, people look at you strangly. They look at you like you have the plague. Well the gap year students do, which were like 95% of the people we met. Most people, including the hotel staff couldn't believe we didn't ski and we wern't there to ski.

The locals understood that not everyone skis and were really lovley to talk too, they spoke to us in the street if they saw us the next day or days afterwards and told us about little places and walks we could do to see the beauty of Banff.

The staff were friendly at our hotel, always smiling and always willing to advise where the nearest supermarkets were (there's a kwik save which sells everything you'd ever need!!) & where to find information and even helping you work out how to use thier washing machines.

They sell washing powder at the reception for $2 a bag, we got quite a bit so I'm guessing it would have lasted for about 3 washes. They also have a dryer too, so it was nice to wash & dry our clothes after living out of a suitcase for a while!

The beds were really comfy, and I had a really good sleep while I was there at night time, to get me ready for the long days ahead!

Just remember to bring your swimwear as there is the hot springs and the hotel have their own heated swimming pools which we couldn't use as I forgot my swimswuit and the shops were selling them at $100!!!!

I noticed that the hotel also has a print out of how much snow has fallen each night, the tempreture highs and lows and where it is best to ski.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for the review and all of your tips on visiting Banff! I have passed your comments about our Breakfast Room onto the manager for him to review with his team. We appreciate your feedback.
I’m happy to read that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. There are a lot of activities to choose from when visiting Banff and you definitely do not have to be a skier to visit in the winter time! There are many gorgeous walks to choose from, along with snowshoeing, sightseeing tours, dog sledding, skating, etc. If wanting to visit the Banff Hot Springs and you’ve forgotten your swimwear, they do rent bathing suits at the Hot Springs for a small fee.
Hope to see you on your next Banff holiday!
Christy - Business Development Manager

Been to Banff Aspen Lodge? Share your experiences!