“great service and views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for free!
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“great service and views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I had such a great time at this hotel over Easter. The front desk stafff were very accomodating with my special room requirements. We had a premium room overlooking the valley The bed was very comfortable and the room was nicely finished. The room beside us was quite noisy which was terribly annoying. We called to complain and they said they would send security although it was still noisy an hour later. We had Easter brunch and loved it. There was a guitaist playing and they had a clown making ballons for the kids. The food was plentiful and tasted great. We had a view from our table that was incredible. We dined in Eden the night before and it truly is a remarkable restaurant. Everything is exceptional the staff are very friendly and I love that they they explain the food and wine pairings with each course. The food portions are small but we had six courses so we still left full. Andre took such great care of us he really made our night .
We love the Rimrock its one of our favorite hotels we love to sit in front of the fire in the lobby and just relax. We will be back again in Septmber for a conferance can't wait

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I was overall disappointed with our stay. We stayed one night and it was terrible. We took the lowest priced room, which had 2 queen beds. We expected that even the lowest priced room at this "4 star" hotel would still be a good value.

The primary issue was with the beds, usually the reason you go to a hotel. First they were only double beds, but worst yet they had archaic mattresses and you could feel the springs through them. Hard and you always felt like you would fall off the edge. There was no view, but for us this wasn't a problem, not like we were going to be sitting there looking out the window. You'd go outside to see the view.

From there the food was over priced, but it was good. The bathrooms were nothing special, no robes in the room, no shampoo and separate conditioner, just a combined one. No fridge in the room and tiny tv. Pool area was fine, though in the women's change room if you don't stand in the right place, you can be seen from the outside. Finally wireless is not included.

So not worth really worth it. I have stayed at the Delta Royal Canadian where the beds were great, bathrooms also great, also has a pool and hot tub. You don't have to eat the food there if you don't want, you are pretty much in town and can walk to were ever you want to eat. Wireless is included. All this for about the same price.

So would recommend going to the Delta or spending a little more and going all out at the Banff springs.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

I work in Banff frequently so I've stayed in almost every hotel. I think the general esthetics of the hotel are nice - particularly at first glance. When I arrived - they didn't have the room I booked ready (only 1 bed, instead of 2 - even though they knew I was sharing with a colleague) - by the time my room was ready I had been robbed of all my belongings. When I finally did get into the "correct" room it had mice in it!! When we called reception they were neither surprised (there was Orkin sticky paper on the floor - so they knew that this room had mice) nor anxious to get us into another room. By 3.30 am we finally got into a rodent-free room. I could rant about SO many more things, the staff in particular...but I'll leave it at that.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Edmonton, Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed at the Rimrock on the weekend of March 26th, having been invited to speak at a conference. The service got off to a bad start, as there was no valet to greet us, so we unpacked our own bags and carried them into the hotel. (On the valet note, on all three occasions that we called down to have our car brought up there was no answer at the Valet desk, and no answer at the Concierge. We eventually phoned the general operator who was able to track them down). We had breakfast the following morning in the dining room. Got a great seat, but eventually (after 10 minutes of waiting) had to ask one of the staff who was responsible for our table. Service was very slow - took 1 1/2 hours for breakfast! But the worst was the service in the Eden. This restaurant touts itself as a "Five Diamond" dining room. One of the warnings was that there was a dress code - jacket and tie recommended for men, no jeans or sports wear. Yet, there were at least two women in the restaurant in jeans, and several men without jackets. While the food was very good, with the exception of the somolier (James), we found the staff to be pretentious, snobby and arrogant. In response to a question posed about why we could not have a window view, we were told that that table was "reserved" (we had reserved on line, but had not been given that option) and, in any event, we would be "too busy viewing our meal to bother looking outside". The menu was difficult to fathom and everything you asked for that was off the set menus was available, at a "small" surcharge (either $15 or $25!) Be very careful with the wines - if you order wine by the glass, there are no prices on the wine list so you are at the mercy of the somolier. We ended up with a $24 glass of chardonney, and an $18 glass of canadian champaigne. At the end of the meal, someone comes by with a liquer cart, again with no prices attached. Upon inquiry, it turned out that one scotch that caught my fance would have set me back over $100 per glass. Total cost of the meal, for two, was over $400 (with tip) so bring your wallet. We are not unsophisticated rubes, and perhaps this may be one of those, "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford to be there" places but frankly the prices were largely hidden and, when exposed, were ridiculous.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Edmonton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Honeslty Rimrock......!

Dusty room, lethargic, unresponsive staff. Tattered rooms......

Keep it up and business will surely subside......I will not be coming back.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
okotoks
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I joined Trip Advisor today to write a review on a recent stay at the Rimrock during a conference I attended.

I always use TA for reviews on destinations I travel to, from Mexico to Victoria.

I joined to let you all know to follow the advice of the negative comments in past posts and stay elsewhere in Banff.

I have not stayed at the Rimrock for over 5 years, what an unfortunate dive it has taken.

I can confirm the lack of Concierge / Bellman staff on duty. Never once was there a staff to open my car door upon returning to the hotel, as I chose the $23 / night Valet parking. Forget someone there to open the Hotel front doors, that would be too much. I had to leave my keys with Front Desk to eventually find a staff to park my vehicle.

Short staff was a comment I heard through various departments.

One note the Chef's burger is a REAL sized burger in the lobby lounge!!

The Banquet staff were friendly and always going above to help in any way. Unfortunately that is where the hotel service stopped.

Stop nickeling and diming people and get back to basics with full staffing levels, full room amenities (robes and slippers) and the HIGH END service you USED to provide.

Pity as the actual location is to die for.

Spend your money elsewhere, more value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

I hadn't been to the Rimrock since my daughter's wedding about fifteen years ago. And here we were back as guests at another wedding. I didn't think it had changed that much. Unlike others, we found the service was just fine. We were always greeted warmly at the door and our car appeared promptly whenever requested. We were part of the wedding banquet, the food chosen by the hosts and, I might add, it was spectacular. However, I don't think that can count as an opinion on the general food services although the breakfast was certainly enjoyable, with a breathtaking view thrown in for good measure. Our room was comfortable and there was that view again. No complaints at all really unless you count a very busy bar area where the service can be a bit slow. I do sympathize with folks who find it a bit far into town. It's not the best of drives in winter and one doesn't want to go into town for dinner and wine and then drive. You are pretty much stuck with the taxi option.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!