“Poor, would not return” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Poor, would not return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights on a deal which was perhaps where we drew a short straw. Our room on the 5th floor was the worst in our Canadian trip. It was in desperate need of maintenance and a good clean as were other areas of the hotel such as the corridors and elevators. We asked for a different room when we arrived as we were also expecting just one double bed, not two in the same room, but were told we would have to pay 75 more a night! there were black marks all over the walls and skirting where it had been knocked by cleaning carts and bags. The mirror frame on the door was missing a large chunk so there was just stripped wood. The heating/air con rattled. There was sticky grime on the bottom of the bathroom mirror which looked like it had been there years, and is probably still there. Cleaning varied but was not great- the first night just the top sheet of the bed had been pulled over and the under sheets were still as we had left them. Pool area was nice but needed more cleaning, and only one hairdryer?! The bus pass was the best thing and the proximity to the gondola. If anyone had actually asked us how our stay was they would have found this out then, but they were more bothered to just take the money. I don't think anything would have been done. Not at all what we expected for a hotel of this supposed level. We would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We apologize for the disappointing stay you had with us at The Rimrock. Our goal is provide exceptional service, and create great experiences ~ and it is disheartening to read that we fell short on your experience.
We appreciate the feedback, and a hotel representative would be happy to discuss your experience further with you.

Rimrock Resort Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Rooms were spacious, with a decent view into the valley.
Service was great throughout our stay.
The food served at the french/Italian main restaurant (primrose) was tasty.

We used this hotel as a base camp to go trekking in the Banff area, and it proved very convenient.

The only criticism goes to the price paid to park one's car at the hotel, knowing that all parking bays and indoor car parks in Banff were free at that time of the year.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience after your recent stay at The Rimrock. We are delighted to read that you had a Great Stay, and hope that you will soon plan your next trip to stay with us.
Thank you for the comments in regards to the parking options at the hotel, we will be using your comments to look at our business decisions, regarding guest parking, in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Upon arrival you are greeted straight away and guided into the warm foyer for check in. The staff are awesome ,We paid good money and weren't disappointed with our room or the amazing panoramic views from the top floor. with 2 queen beds and comfortable bedding bar fridge safe LCD tv and very nice bathroom. The hotel restaurant and bar is awesome and great views. queen

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience ~ and are pleased to read that you had a great stay! Our teams goal is to provide great guest experiences for all of our guests, and it is always a pleasure to pass on and share when we get it right!

We look forward to your next stay.

Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The hotel is situated in a nice place , the rooms are ok if not a little over priced for what you get, there are plenty of other places to stay in Banff that have a lot more to offer... There is a bus service to town and back that we found useful.

My biggest issue with this hotel was the lack of functioning wifi. I have stayed at many hotels all over the world and can honestly say that I received better wifi service from the most basic of hotels/accommodations that cost less than the parking fee here.

So for $300 odd a night plus $16 for parking with out a functioning internet service and little response when the issue was raised I must give this hotel a less than favourable review.

The solution to no internet access was a free pass to the premium and secured wifi networks which also did not work.

It is unfortunate that a service so simple seems so hard to obtain. This hotel and ones like it really need to pick their game up in this regard....

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the inconvenience with the WiFi when you were visiting with us. We are currently working with our vendor to ensure that any concerns with the network for our guests is rectified and it is functioning proficiently.

We hope to have you back at the hotel to see the changes.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I decided we needed to start some sort of tradition. We searched and looked for something within driving distance that we could return to every Thanksgiving. We finally decided RimRock in Banff would fit what we were looking for perfectly!

Well... It was horrid. We stayed for three nights. The hotel needs some love and investment. I'm sure it's a high traffic hotel as it's in Banff but it definitely needs some love. Bashed walls, torn bedspreads, terrible TVs, dirty walls in the hallways. For a high end this was disappointing. BUT --- it wasn't this that was horrid...
Basically they do not have control of their hotel. I totally understand that they can't control their guests but it was VERY obvious after 3 nights and 4 days that repeat guests is not their business model or valued to want them to come back. 2 out of 3 nights the place was like a Carnival cruise ship in the hallways. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway - don't go here.

From the pool area where the attending security and staff did NOTHING about very inappropriate behaviours and drove several people out to the wedding parties that extended after hours from midnight - 4am to unsecure parking so guests have to park at the gondola as the parkade got full from non-stay folks showing up for parties. (we know this as we met up with 3 non-guests in the elevator that all had vehicles parked in the parkade and were laughing that we had to walk and were paying for daily parking.

I did talk to security the 2nd night. Security did come and "try" to break down the party. I heard the partiers "promise" to break it up. Security then left and never re-checked. It continued on.
I spoke to the assistant GM the next day. She asked what can we do to make you happy? I said, "I leave that up to you but at this point we won't return". She had many excuses about not being able to control guests and their 3 strike rules. So I said, "So I as a "good" guest you need my intervention to help manage your security by calling and insisting something gets done?"

It was VERY apparent that the business culture there is not to gain return guests.
I was very professional with the front desk when I checked out but when asked how it was I said, "We will never return actually" and the lady said, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Are your charges on your card ok?" And then smiled.

I did receive 4 stale truffles and a sorry note the last night when we returned from a hike.
That was "nice". But really?

My expectations? Comp of some sort of the 2nd night we couldn't sleep as the following day SUCKED because we were so tired.. Just one night not the entire stay.

My husband and I spent over $1000 at the spa. I would think they would consider us guests they wanted back as we behave, spend money and respect others.
I caution anyone that thinks this is a great place to stay. The cost does not reflect the atmosphere you should expect.
We travel extensively. So I am not immune to bad guest behaviour. We've seen a lot. But wow - to be dismissed like RimRock did? That's brutal.

Scenery is beautiful (that's a given...)
The food was good at their restaurants.
And their spa was fabulous.
But we left tired, disappointed and did not feel valued.
We won't return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would be happy to speak with you further in regards to your recent trip, as ensuring each of our guests has an exceptional experience is a priority and passion for all of our team at The Rimrock Resort Hotel.

Milton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

It is a really nice hotel. Great restaurants, and a scenic setting. Rooms were clean and spacious and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would suggest is that you stay on the higher floors if you want the great views. Our room was on the fifth floor, and we had a nice view of some trees, and glimpes of the mountains. A little obstructed, but who stays in thier room for the whole vacation anyway. Really enjoye it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after your recent stay. We are pleased to read that you had a great experience with us.

We look forward to your next stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights when I surprised my boyfriend with a romantic trip as an early birthday present. I got a great deal for the rooms since we stayed from Sunday-Tuesday. The staff was extremely accommodating and I loved that the hotel itself was a bit outside of the town center. It gave it a much more peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. We upgraded to a room with a view and that turned out to be a great decision, as the view we had from our room was absolutely breathtaking! The staff was great in recommending good restaurants around town, and the room was really nice and clean. The bathroom seemed a little dated, although really clean and not at all a deal breaker for me. I also want to mention the valet staff--they are extremely helpful and just seemed like genuinely nice people. Every time my boyfriend and I were waiting for our car, someone was always checking on us and making sure we were taken care of. Great hotel and would love to stay there again on our next trip!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are elated to read that you and your boyfriend were able to escape for a weekend away, and that we were able to assist in making the surprise trip "perfect". We are overjoyed to share your comments in regards to out valet staff on to them, they have great passion for delivering WOW experiences to you, our guest.

We look forward to your next stay!

Rimrock Resort Hotel Management

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!