“Exceeds expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Banff
“Exceeds expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Upon arrival you are greeted straight away and guided into the warm foyer for check in. The staff are awesome ,We paid good money and weren't disappointed with our room or the amazing panoramic views from the top floor. with 2 queen beds and comfortable bedding bar fridge safe LCD tv and very nice bathroom. The hotel restaurant and bar is awesome and great views. queen

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience ~ and are pleased to read that you had a great stay! Our teams goal is to provide great guest experiences for all of our guests, and it is always a pleasure to pass on and share when we get it right!

We look forward to your next stay.

1,735 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The hotel is situated in a nice place , the rooms are ok if not a little over priced for what you get, there are plenty of other places to stay in Banff that have a lot more to offer... There is a bus service to town and back that we found useful.

My biggest issue with this hotel was the lack of functioning wifi. I have stayed at many hotels all over the world and can honestly say that I received better wifi service from the most basic of hotels/accommodations that cost less than the parking fee here.

So for $300 odd a night plus $16 for parking with out a functioning internet service and little response when the issue was raised I must give this hotel a less than favourable review.

The solution to no internet access was a free pass to the premium and secured wifi networks which also did not work.

It is unfortunate that a service so simple seems so hard to obtain. This hotel and ones like it really need to pick their game up in this regard....

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the inconvenience with the WiFi when you were visiting with us. We are currently working with our vendor to ensure that any concerns with the network for our guests is rectified and it is functioning proficiently.

We hope to have you back at the hotel to see the changes.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I decided we needed to start some sort of tradition. We searched and looked for something within driving distance that we could return to every Thanksgiving. We finally decided RimRock in Banff would fit what we were looking for perfectly!

Well... It was horrid. We stayed for three nights. The hotel needs some love and investment. I'm sure it's a high traffic hotel as it's in Banff but it definitely needs some love. Bashed walls, torn bedspreads, terrible TVs, dirty walls in the hallways. For a high end this was disappointing. BUT --- it wasn't this that was horrid...
Basically they do not have control of their hotel. I totally understand that they can't control their guests but it was VERY obvious after 3 nights and 4 days that repeat guests is not their business model or valued to want them to come back. 2 out of 3 nights the place was like a Carnival cruise ship in the hallways. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway - don't go here.

From the pool area where the attending security and staff did NOTHING about very inappropriate behaviours and drove several people out to the wedding parties that extended after hours from midnight - 4am to unsecure parking so guests have to park at the gondola as the parkade got full from non-stay folks showing up for parties. (we know this as we met up with 3 non-guests in the elevator that all had vehicles parked in the parkade and were laughing that we had to walk and were paying for daily parking.

I did talk to security the 2nd night. Security did come and "try" to break down the party. I heard the partiers "promise" to break it up. Security then left and never re-checked. It continued on.
I spoke to the assistant GM the next day. She asked what can we do to make you happy? I said, "I leave that up to you but at this point we won't return". She had many excuses about not being able to control guests and their 3 strike rules. So I said, "So I as a "good" guest you need my intervention to help manage your security by calling and insisting something gets done?"

It was VERY apparent that the business culture there is not to gain return guests.
I was very professional with the front desk when I checked out but when asked how it was I said, "We will never return actually" and the lady said, "Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Are your charges on your card ok?" And then smiled.

I did receive 4 stale truffles and a sorry note the last night when we returned from a hike.
That was "nice". But really?

My expectations? Comp of some sort of the 2nd night we couldn't sleep as the following day SUCKED because we were so tired.. Just one night not the entire stay.

My husband and I spent over $1000 at the spa. I would think they would consider us guests they wanted back as we behave, spend money and respect others.
I caution anyone that thinks this is a great place to stay. The cost does not reflect the atmosphere you should expect.
We travel extensively. So I am not immune to bad guest behaviour. We've seen a lot. But wow - to be dismissed like RimRock did? That's brutal.

Scenery is beautiful (that's a given...)
The food was good at their restaurants.
And their spa was fabulous.
But we left tired, disappointed and did not feel valued.
We won't return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It is disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would be happy to speak with you further in regards to your recent trip, as ensuring each of our guests has an exceptional experience is a priority and passion for all of our team at The Rimrock Resort Hotel.

Milton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

It is a really nice hotel. Great restaurants, and a scenic setting. Rooms were clean and spacious and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would suggest is that you stay on the higher floors if you want the great views. Our room was on the fifth floor, and we had a nice view of some trees, and glimpes of the mountains. A little obstructed, but who stays in thier room for the whole vacation anyway. Really enjoye it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after your recent stay. We are pleased to read that you had a great experience with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights when I surprised my boyfriend with a romantic trip as an early birthday present. I got a great deal for the rooms since we stayed from Sunday-Tuesday. The staff was extremely accommodating and I loved that the hotel itself was a bit outside of the town center. It gave it a much more peaceful, relaxing atmosphere. We upgraded to a room with a view and that turned out to be a great decision, as the view we had from our room was absolutely breathtaking! The staff was great in recommending good restaurants around town, and the room was really nice and clean. The bathroom seemed a little dated, although really clean and not at all a deal breaker for me. I also want to mention the valet staff--they are extremely helpful and just seemed like genuinely nice people. Every time my boyfriend and I were waiting for our car, someone was always checking on us and making sure we were taken care of. Great hotel and would love to stay there again on our next trip!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are elated to read that you and your boyfriend were able to escape for a weekend away, and that we were able to assist in making the surprise trip "perfect". We are overjoyed to share your comments in regards to out valet staff on to them, they have great passion for delivering WOW experiences to you, our guest.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on our 2nd wedding anniversary and was right away impressed with the valets excellent customer service. Give these guys a raise- warm smiles, helpful suggestions and always willing to help with anything. (Suggested we park on 7th level of parkade to be close to lobby)
Our room was great. No complaints but I see now that you are really paying for the view... of the mountains, valley and of the town of Banff below... not of the lack of landscaping encircling the hotel.
Regarding the lobby: front desk- yes, concierge desk- yes, place to sit while waiting to check in- nope. All the comfy-looking furniture with a view is actually a restaurant/lounge where people sit to drink and eat. (Drinks were exceptionally good) Still... kind of misleading.
We loved the buffet breakfast- again, great service from staff that morning but not so much the night before. It seems no matter where you go: when it's "slow" in the restaurant, (some) staff slacks off (we saw our server casually chatting with who looked to be her supervisor while we waited).. and the guests have to wait.
Other than that, our only real complaint was $16 for parking... per night. And the upbeat-modern-jazz muzak playing first thing in the morning during breakfast. Just let me have my coffee first.
All-in-all it was a fine place to spend an anniversary.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing to celebrate this amazing celebration with us. We are pleased to read that your overall stay was with expectations met. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the Front Desk and Concierge team. Their dedication to service is what assists us from setting apart from others. We are extremely pleased to share your feedback. We also appreciate the additional feedback provided and will use to continue to become a better hotel for you, our guest.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed 1 night at the Rimrock. The hotel is very nice, the room comfortable and clean. We enjoyed the pianist playing in the lounge area at night and the pool was fun. On the whole the staff are friendly. Although this is a perfectly nice hotel, it is definitely not so much better than the other hotels in Banff that it should be ranked as a 4 star and charge over $200/night + tax, not including the $17 dollars for parking, which was completely full and $50 for a mediocre at best breakfast in the restaurant with very slow service. When asked how the experience was by the staff upon check-out, we let them know the breakfast was not very good for the price and the response was "You are entitled to your... stuff," which I thought a bizarre response and the comment was not followed up on at all. I expected they might at least have a comment card we could fill out as this is supposed to be 4 star hotel. Didn't have any real issues with this hotel, but was not really pleased with it considering what is received for the price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience after your stay with us. It is disappointing to read that we were unable to meet your expectations while staying with us. We will use your feedback to assist us in looking at our service expectations moving forward.

We are happy to be in contact with you to discuss your experience further.

Rimrock Resort Hotel Management

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!