“Up charges a problem.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Red Deer, Canada
“Up charges a problem.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location. We got a decent price on hotels.com. When we arrived they told us we could upgrade to a king for $25....with some perks. Which we did. When we got to our room and connected to the wifi we were told there was an additional cost. When we received our bill upon checkout we were billed $16 a day for parking.

• Stayed March 2013
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience after your trip to The Rimrock Resort Hotel. It is truly through the feedback of our guests that we are able to gage how we are doing as a service.

cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Superb service in this hotel! My family of five stayed in a grand view room. Essentially this was the size of two hotel rooms. We had lots of space, including two bathrooms. This room included a tremendous view - we slept with the curtains open and woke to that gorgeous view. This room also included free wifi (weak signal, but this seems to be the case around town) and valet parking. The staff is the real gem here. Our rented skis were delivered to the hotel, received by the staff and stored. When we headed out to ski, the staff brought our skis to the car and helped load them. When we returned, they unloaded the skis themselves and stored them. I understand there are ski lockers, but we never saw them. The staff took care of our skis, including making sure they were returned when we departed. After a day of skiing, it is a luxury to have someone else handle your skis. The concierge was friendly and full of good advice. Restaurant recommendations, activities, etc. The luxurious Lakespur Lounge was terrific for a relaxing dinner. The fruit and cheese plate was an excellent starter for the group. The coffee shop was frequented several times daily. Friendly staff there as well. This is an excellent hotel. We slept soundly. We would return again and send our friends!

Room Tip: Grand View rooms literally have a GRAND VIEW!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Can't wait until your next visit! Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you were able to take advantage of the views, service, and amenities that come with the Grandview guest room. Nothing beats going to the slopes for the day, and returning for great food and drinks in Larkspur Lounge ~ especially with the fireplace lit~ and then awing at the amazing view from your guest room window. I hope you were able to indulge in one or many of the special in-house made pastries or chocolates from the Coffee Shop on one of your many visits.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We spent two nights in a Grandview King room. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable with a beautiful view of the Bow Valley and surrounding mountains. The bed, pillows and linens were luxurious. Service in all areas of the hotel was outstanding which speaks to excellent management and training.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments! I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the service. We pride ourselves on having exceptional colleagues and it is awlays great to read that we are succeeding. I am glad that you were able to experience one of our grandview guest rooms ~ the view, and amenities are something special to experience in the Canadian Rockies.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here previously in a room with an uninterrupted view over the Bow Valley and Rockies to the northeast. That room was great. On this trip the room had a partial mountain view but looked primarily towards the other wing of the hotel and the skating rink. On the plus side, the other wing is far enough away not to be too intrusive. The room itself was showing signs of wear and the furnishings were a little dated. Very small bathroom which I'd expect to find in a 1980's motel. Things were, however, clean and in working order.
During holidays, expect the pool area to be full of children. Small but functional gym.
I struggled to suppress the urge to assign a 3/5 as I felt the hotel room should have been better for the price and reputation. Furthermore, a poor impression is left by the extra charges for wifi, parking, and a number of other items a hotel of this standard and price range should provide on a complimentary basis. It did not live up to expectations and I would only stay again if the price was more reasonable i.e. competitive with the better hotels in the town of Banff.

Room Tip: Get a room with an uninterrupted view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Glad that you were able to visit us on your recent trip to Banff. Thank you for taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.
I am sorry to hear that you were unable to enjoy the view on this trip, as much as your last. We are proud of our location and that each guest room provides its own unique view of the amazing landscape surronding us.
I appreciate you taking the opportunity to share how we could provide elevated service options to our guests, and I am happy to share that I have shared this with our Management team.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

It's all about which type of room you stay in at the Rimrock. We've stayed here several times in the different types of room and there is definitely a difference from standard to premium to grandview suites. If I was reviewing the premium room I would give this review a 4/5 but for the standard room it was only a 3/5.
Our most recent stay at the Rimrock was in standard room after getting a deal on Hotwire.
Standard rooms are actually more in line with 3 star quality rooms. The shower head in the room was low in an old and small tub shower. Other 4 star hotels I've stayed at have much nicer fully upgraded showers. The hair dryer is an old 1200 watt wall mounted travel size one that was practically falling off the wall. I would expect that type of a hair dryer in a 2 star motel not a 4 star hotel. There was no coffee in the room but of course all the honor bar food items that you had to pay for were there. We called housekeeping and they brought some coffee up right away. The beds are okay but they are not the most comfortable ones. The beds in the premium rooms were definitely better. No bathrobes in the standard rooms even though in the guest services book it speaks about the robes.

In the hallway, there were several dishes sitting outside of rooms that sat there for a couple of hours. The hallway carpets also seemed fairly worn out.

The fitness area has been upgraded fairly recently but I'm not sure why they didn't put a filtered water cooler in that area. Instead there are signs directing you to a water fountain that requires you to leave the fitness area and then you have to re-enter the code for the door in order to get back in the fitness room. The water fountain is also used by lots of kids from the pool so I didn't really want to drink out of it after the child in front of me put his mouth on the spout of the fountain. The pool and hot tub area is nice but was really crowded at 9PM on a Friday night. The actual insides of the pool and hot tub are showing their age - they could use an upgrade of the pool tile linings.

Parking is an additional cost of $16 a night for self-parking or $30 for valet - seems high when most other hotels in Banff don't charge at all for parking.

The location of the Rimrock is incredibly beautiful. It is set right up in the mountains but there are no restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, so you have to drive a few miles back into the town to get food or get stuck paying for the overpriced food and drinks at the Rimrock that are just average quality.

If you are looking for a 4 star room experience I recommend booking a premium room or above.

Room Tip: higher floor premium room or suite facing the mountains
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the Rocky Mountains. We value and appreciate your feedback, and will be using it to ensure that we make continue to enhance the guest experience.

We are in the process of complething room refreshments to our Standard Category level of guest rooms, and hope that you will be to visit again to see the changes.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is where my fiancé and I stayed the night after we got engaged. I wasn't sure where we would stay because we had planned on winging it for the last leg of our trip in Rockies but I have to say that we were not in any way disappointed. This definitely has the best views from the room in Banff which is saying a lot considering where you are. As everyone else has mentioned, the rooms are great. Parking is a little on tight side but does the job. The ability to walk to Hot Springs & the gondola is quite nice. Also, they have a convenient bus stop right in front of the hotel which is free to hotel guests so you can basically park your car and leave it for the duration of your stay. That being said, if you end up enjoying the Banff nightlife, the cab ride is a little longer & a little more $ (worth it for the peace and quiet).

Room Tip: As someone else mentioned, the rooms all have a great view but higher is better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

No point in repeating all the positives noted in the previous reviews - they are all accurate as far as I'm concerned. Stayed in Room 800, which includes free valet parking, wifi, sparkling wine and choc. strawberries (on arrival** see below), and a 15% restaurant discount (not huge concessions, but it's something; one expects some frills when booking a room like that). There is no better view from a hotel room in Banff, period. Large room with wood burning fireplace, oversized jetted tub, separate shower in a tiled bathroom overlooking yet another amazing view - hard to beat. Almost wall to wall windows, virtually none of which can be peered into by guests in other rooms - unlike the vast majority of the rooms in this hotel. This means privacy and a sense of openness and opulence, as you can keep all the windows open, day or night, and enjoy the views without worrying if other folks are watching. ;)

The spa was not as nice as the Willow Stream at the Banff Springs, nor does it offer the variety of treatments; but how bad can it be?

Divas was only open Fri and Sat nights during our stay, which was disappointing.

I would have given this hotel a 5/5 rating if not for the following:

- on arrival, room was not stocked with firewood as I had requested and confirmed via email.
- on arrival, complimentary bottle and strawberries were not in the room; had to call room service.
- on check in was advised that 15% discount would automatically be applied to restaurant checks as soon as we charged to room #; and if paying by another means that showing our room key would have the same result. This was not the case, had to ask for the discount 3 out of 4 times after the bill was presented and the wait staff had left the table. This meant having to wait to get their attention again (not always easy), asking for the discount (a bit embarassing...) and waiting for the new bill to be done up. Minor things overall, but like I said, a bit more effort would have netted a 5/5! I expect top notch treatment and service at a hotel like this, and it was close....
- In this room the windows stretch nearly from wall to wall, floor to ceiling. But they've decided to put a 25 inch TV in an enormous wardrobe sized cabinet right at the foot of the bed, blocking a significant part of the view out the windows from that location. This is just poor planning/design, and could be rectified by either using something like a low-rise cabinet from which the TV could pop-up (and remain hidden from view when not in use), or by mounting it up above the window line on the wall. Either solution would open up that area of windows for views.
- Also, there is another nook-type area of windows off to one side of the room, which would be perfect for a small table and 2-3 chairs for guests to enjoy a meal while taking in what is undeniably the best view in the house. But all that's there is a side-board that serves as a stand for the ice bucket. :/ Not cool. This leaves one with the impression that management wants to get you into the restaurants, where you're more likely to spend more money, rather than ordering room service.
- Noisy A/C fan, and the temperature/fan control only worked when it felt like it.

Overall this is an excellent hotel, spectacular in so many ways but a few little tweaks would go a long way imho.

Room Tip: Room 800 well worth it if you are looking for something special, willing to spend a bit more. Far m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!