“This rock is a diamond for dining but clay for the spa” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Breakfast for free!
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Alameda, California
“This rock is a diamond for dining but clay for the spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

A dear friend and I chose the Rimrock as a weekend getaway to spend girlfriend time. The hotel room was wonderful as it had the majestic view of Banff townsite and Cascade mountain. Service too was excellent from front door in. We did though find the experience at the spa sub standard. We spent $449 each for a treatment that went 2 hours overtime due to overbooking with other clients plus we never thought we got value for that money spent. From that experience my friend sent a letter of complaint to the spa manager, it has been over a month an no reply has been sent to her.
Back to the bright side of the experience, our dining with the Eden restaurant was one of the finest I have ever had. I chose the vegan wine pairing which often made me giggle finding how clever the chef and sommelier are with moving my taste senses. I do hope to make a return to Eden as it is paradise.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Spa, it is an average experience that costs far too much. It is poorly man...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Disappointing to read that you did not enjoy your Spa experience, but a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your toom and dining expereince. As Western Canada's only 5 diamond dining rooms, we pride ourselves on the exquistly unique service and food that you recieve.

cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed one night, and while the service was too notch, they did things that demonstrated inexperience. I was initially booked into a room for someone with mobility issues. Great they have that option for people who need it, but I made no such request. It was awkward because there were big metal bars in places. Why did they put me in this room in the first place? The bigger issue with the room was a strange smell. The view from the window is the side of the adjacent building too.
The front desk made no issue of changing my room, but this room had nasty white stains on the comforter. It was already late by the time I saw the stains, and if this is an indication of the cleanliness of their bedding, another room wouldn't have satisfied me.
I ate at Eden my one night and I highly recommend it. Food was excellent. It is a treat yourself kind of restaurant with top notch service.
It wasn't an issue for me because I didn't stay here long, but this place is out of the way if you want to go to town.

• Stayed March 2013
I am glad that you were able to take the opportunity to enjoy Eden for an evening. As Western Canada's only 5 diamond dining room, we pride ourselves on the experience that you will have with the exquisite food and service. I am sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in regards to your guest room, and appreciate you sharing how we can be a better business for you.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Rimrock for an 11 night skiing holiday in late February/early March 2013. We found all the staff to be friendly; the reception staff were efficient and the consiarge team were helpful. We booked a standard room but were offered an upgrade to a premium room for $25 per night when we checked in. We were told that this would have cost $75 to pre book. These rooms are apparently the same size but the premium rooms have better views, and we weren't disappointed! From our room on the 9th floor we had an amazing view of Banff and its surrounding mountains. The room was clean, spacious and reasonably well equipped with a coffee maker and small frigde. Complementary coffee was provided each day. The housekeeping staff were very responsive whenever we asked them for anything. The bathroom was very much an average hotel bathroom - we expected it to be a bit more luxurious for this standard of hotel. Robes were provided but not slippers, which would have been useful for trips to the spa. In addition to the spa area there is a pool and large indoor hot tub. This area was quiet during the week but busy with families at weekends. Changing areas are adequately equipped but small things seemed to be missing such as hooks for your towel in the showers. Full length lockers are provided - you're given a key when you sign in so no need for coins. The hotel has two main restaurants and two large, comfortable lounges areas where food is also served. We ate in the Primrose restaurant one evening; I found the menu very limited for non meat eaters and didn't enjoy the vegetarian option. The staff tried hard to make amends with a discount and offers of a dessert on the house. A buffet breakfast was served in the Primrose at weekends for $20 ($15 for the cold buffet); the quality of the food was very good and the restaurant staff were very efficient and helpful. The hotel provides a courtesy bus to access the ski bus, this drops you in Banff town centre; around 10 minutes drive from the hotel. We had expected this to be more efficient but we were often left waiting for the courtesy bus to arrive and on one ocassion the vehicle that was sent was too small for the number of people waiting to return to the hotel. We were asked to call the consiarge when we were enroute back from the ski hill so that the courtesy bus could be sent. This is an expensive option for UK guests with UK mobile phones. Hotel guests also get free use of the local transit bus into Banff, which runs every 40 mins until 11pm . The hotel is well situated for the Sulphur Mountain gondola and the hot springs but we found that it was just a bit too far out of town, meaning we spent a significant amount of time waiting for buses to return to the hotel after eating out in Banff. Nevertheless, we enjoyed our stay and were well looked after at the Rimrock.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to get the best views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your view. There is certainly enough for the eye to see in our Premium guest rooms and it truly does not disappoint.
Thank you for the additional feedback on what we can do better as a business ~ we look forward to showing you what changes we have implemented based on your feedback on your next stay.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

After planning a romantic valentines weekend with my boyfriend through Expedia at the Rimrock, we found out the day we were supposed to leave that there was a problem with the credit card and Expedia hadn't put through the booking unbeknownst to us. So there we were on valentine's weekend with no hotel room to stay in, and a severe lack of hotel vacancy due to the long weekend's high demand for hotel rooms. I called the Rimrock and explained the situation and the wonderful employee, Nathan found us their last room available. While the jet tub was broken, he offered it to me at a discounted price and made the weekend with my boyfriend possible. He went above and beyond to ensure that our weekend would not be ruined. The room was beautiful and the staff were more than accommodating. The customer service at this hotel is exemplary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It is always great to read that when we go "Above and Beyond". I am glad that you were able to stay with us, and that you enjoyed your stay!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I cannot say enough about the Rim Rock! Drinks and appetizers by the fire in the main lobby, fantastic rooms, spectacular views and amazing service!!! I'm always excited to stay at the Rimrock - especially after a day of skiing in the banff area. Look froward to visiting again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We look forward to your next visit too! So pleased to read that we are your favourite hotel! We look forward to continuing to be your "home away from home"

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Im from Toronto n' visited Calgary for few nts, than me & friends spent the weekend of Feb 22nd at the Rimrock. The concierge was somewhat quick to greet us etc. The reception staff could have been a little more professional and sophisticated etc. other than the one gentlemen who I think was senior level. But overall all staff were pretty friendly and helpful. Its a pretty decent property and a great hotel location somewhat remote nestled away from the village etc.. and mountain valley views were quite spectacular and blew us away in our grandview signature suite (6th floor) 600sq/ft+ rooms we stayed in. I was dissappointed that the reception didnt educate us and promote & tell us about the fact that the hot springs and gondula was seconds away from us before it was too late and we were checking out. 2nts was rather short as well and we wished we stayed at least 3nts which we will do next time hopefully. Whether or not the hot springs are few minutes away, all resorts in BANFF especially this one should have a large OUTDOOR hot tub for guests to enjoy till 12-1am or so. I means youre in a hotel nestled in the mountains with valley views etc and you must have a hot tub outside for people to enjoy, or romance, or indulge and take in the beautiful crisp mountain air n views etc AND JUST RELAX. with a glass of wine or cognac etc. on such a private property. Also I was rather surprised how dated our room was..it was basically a year 2008-2010 sheraton looking room at most. It was a grand room as in it was very large, lots of windows, and 2nd room was loungy and could throw a 20 people party with extra couches, a fireplace, 2 washrooms and seperate entrance which can come handy in "special situations". I expected a room that was closer to something more state of the art or alot more modern sheik which it wasnt in any way and rather more traditional. The curtain were too thick and chunky and pushing it to the furthest point they still covered too much window space.The power cords etc. under the tables were dusty dirty grimy and you didnt want to touch as well as some other parts of the room etc. The power wall plug outlets should be more plentiful and much easier to access as they were hidden and very hard to get to and you had to reach far or move furniture. The room needs alot of freshening up. The rooms were pretty clean at most. The washroom sink & tubs and tiles etc. should be sparkling n shining clean. I especially wasnt crazy about the Aveda mint evergreen or whatever shampoo..I cant imagine most consumers liking that scent. The towels could be a little better quality like superior Turkish cotton. I Would have preferred a real fireplace in my room rather than an artificial gas one. Next time a balcony is a must! For a giant room like ours with an already very high premium being paid with 2 queen beds and 2 seperate large rooms attached they should not be charging more for a 3rd or 4th guest and luckily we didnt. Also you would expect coffee brewing pots like this in a holiday inn etc. I have to say the parking and seperate parking lot is very lax and welcome to other guest who are visiting even for extended periods and was rather nice to save $$ and not have additional fees for use. The main lounge in the lobby with the giant fireplace had a very nice ambience and the piano playing was a rather very nice and homey and perfect to chill over drinks and good conversation. The internet wifi service in the room was weak and slow. The VIP features such as 15%off, free valet, and internet was nice to have. It seemed like they were giving 15%off to non "vip" rooms as well. We didnt get to try the 5star diamond restaurant Eden or any of the other restaurants unfortunately. The coffee shop had pretty damn good coffee though. The lounge menu food n drinks seems to be a little pricey but expected. Overall we enjoyed our stay and look forward to updated rooms etc..but I will definately be back..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the opportunity to share your experience on TripAdvisor ~ and providing great feedback on what we can do to make your stay more enjoyable on your next visit! It is certainly an added benefit that we are"base camp" for both the Hot Springs and Banff Gondola. To your point, we will continue to promote this to all our guests, to ensure that you are able to experience the surronding area! I hope that you are able to come back soon and see our refreshed guest rooms. A 2013 project of replacemement of carpetings and furnishings is underway as we speak.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I had supper at the Eden restaurant. The food was above average, but not outstanding. I had the duck and found it a little on the tough side. My wife had the sea bass and said it was very good, but again not outstanding. BUT, the service was impeccable. Overall, it's a little pricey but well worth it.

Room Tip: Request a table by the windows.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!