“Christmas at the Rimrock” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Christmas at the Rimrock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I, as well as another close friend couple stayed here over Christmas for a getaway out of Calgary. The hotel is well appointment and quite nice but lacks the charm that the Fairmont Banff Spring brings. I suppose there has to be limitations as the Banff Springs is older and more prestigious.

We had all of our meals during our stay at the Primrose Dining Room. We had heard from others that while the Eden is the more eloquent of the two, that the overall dining experience is better in the Primrose. I would have to agree as I am not a fan of small portions for overpaid prices. I am past all that glory of pretending to be super rich.

The rooms are clean and the experience in the winter is great as you want to go to the hot springs which are a short walk away. Go first thing in the morning to warm yourself up and to avoid the bigger crowds in the evening (lots of skiers go after their time on the hill). Have the hotel call them and find out what time they open in the morning. It can be -30ºC outside but you'll be quite comfortable in the pool. Take coins for the locker and don't forget your swimsuit or towel and remember to leave your valuables at home.

We booked our package on the Expedia App on our iPad and got the best price this way during the holiday season. Try to get a package which includes parking (heated underground is available) and internet. Have a great time in Banff, it is definitely one of the gems in Canada.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room at a higher floor to get a view of the mountain valley from your room. But in a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

1,906 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

I always have stayed at The Rimrock. I have always rented grandview rooms and this time I rented a suite with a adjoining parlor room at a rate of $650.00 a night! I stayed 4 nights and my bill was $2700.00.....not worth it! During this stay I found it very disappointing to learn they allow pets to stay at once was the classiest hotel in Banff...not no more. I understand other hotels do offer pet stay...but this is The Rimrock! Upon my arrival I found dog pee stains all across the front of The Rimrock in the snow....so disgusting to see! One time at the front doors inside there was a dog barking for 2 mins straight while we were waiting for the bus....i can imagine what the customer on the phone wanting to book was thinking!Every night we went skating at the skating rink at the hotel and to get to rink I have to walk across the deck. Non stop people with pets taking them to the bathroom. Every night we went skating I crossed the dog poop and pee stains! VERY DISGUSTING! This is what I expect out of a Days Inn or Travelodge! The dog poop was never cleaned up during my stay! I can imagine the smell come spring! Ewwwwwww! The Wifi in The Rimrock is the WORST I have ever experienced! I phoned front desk to voice my concern and she said it was overwhelmed. The next day at 2pm the WiFi still did not work and the hotel and parkade were completely empty...I phoned front desk and told her the hotel is empty and it can't still be overwhelmed! She said she would try to reboot the router......it did nothing so we had NO WiFi during out stay! The next problem was the toilet. The very first time we used it it plugged! It would plug with just flushing water! The toilet plugged 6 times and we called 6 times and they only showed up 5 times. After 1 hour of waiting we called the front desk to ask..she said we didn't call. Yes we did call cause we had NO toilet! We went to rent a movie the first night and it said SOLD OUT! I have never seen SOLD OUT ever before in my life lol! I phoned the front desk and said I don't wanna see SOLD OUT while I'm paying $650.00 night! I phoned the front desk to speak to the manager about all the problems and the WiFi charges I'm gonna get on my cell phone bill...she said he was gone til Jan 17/2013 and that he would call me on my cell phone.....1 month later I'm still waiting for his call! After all this..... they called me to move my Dually truck in the parkade cause it was busy and they needed the space!!!!! I said u need the space??? How about giving my the services I have paid for before u start asking me for something! VERY sad to see the Rimrock lower their standards....having pets allowed to stay is gonna kill the prestige of the hotel. I expect to see animals at The Days Inn and Travelodge but not at The Rimrock! All in all very disappointing stay....save your money and stay at a lower class hotel cause the Rimrock is no longer the classy hotel it once was!!!! The best thing about this hotel is Jeff in Concierge! He is a super great guy always doing what is best for The Rimrock! The Rimrock needs to make Jeff the new manager cause he knows Customer service! Thanks Jeff!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations on your recent trip, and thank you for your candid feedback in regards to it. It is unfortunate that your stay involved witnessing the exposure of the pets in the snow. The Rimrock is pleased to be pet friendly, allowing all family members the opportunity to partake in vacations and special occasions. The team at The Rimrock does its best to ensure that constant monitoring of the ground is completed and any "messes" are addressed immediately. Thank you for the opportunity to learn from your other concerns as well.

Please contact me if you wish to speak in regards to anything further.

cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is very nice in Banff. Location is a bit off the main downtown area, but they have regular bus service into town. Rooms are typically nice, have a nice bar called the Larkspur. It is an expensive place to stay, definitely wouldn't stay here for every visit, as we are from Calgary and go to Banff regularly. They charge extra for parking no matter if you self park or valet park, and the distance from the parking to the rooms can be significant. Definitely are other places you can stay in Banff for less money that still provide a great experience, and closer proximity to the downtown. Having said that, if you are going to stay at the Rimrock, I would recommend spending the money for the views, which are quite nice. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a company meeting. The room is very comfortable and well maintained, the food was great and the service prompt and friendly. The views of Banff Valley and Mountain Rundle are great. The hotel gym and pools are worth visiting. The hotel is a short walk away from the Banff Upper Hotsprings (a must in my books) and the Sulphur Mountain Gondola (great on a sunny day). I would stay again at this hotel for a meeting or a personal vacation.
There is a bus shuttle to downtown Banff. I did not take the shuttle, but it appeared to run on a fairly regular basis.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We pride ourselves on the service our staff provides, and it is always a pleasure to read that we were able to show our guests what our staff are able to provide. Next time you will have to head into town and use the Complimentary Shuttle Service, provided by ROAM transit system.

I look forward to your next visit! Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Rimrock and i can honestly say that this hotel is super overpriced, not much new for banff park. If you really want to save money dont stay here, staff are good however rooms are small. The view is pretty good, the food was oily and not within budget. I hope people really do there research if deciding to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you can come back and try out the new menu options, including our lifestyle menu ~ featuring gluten free and vegetarian options. The Rimrock is also under the process of completing guest room refreshments, based on feedback from you ~ our guest.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great ambience, great dining, specially Eden restaurant, great spa and workout facilities. Really good overall value and service. Better view than the Banff Springs hotel in my opinion. The Eden restaurant was by far the best dining experience we ever had.

Room Tip: There are 4 suites available 700, 702, 800, 802 I believe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Front Office Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Eden is the only 5 Diamond restaurant in Western Canada and it truly is a magnificent dining experience. Visit our website for great specials including our inaugural Maple Fest in March. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cordially,

Nathan Adair
Front Desk Manager
(t) 403.762.1808
(e) nathan.adair@rimrockresort.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here in January 2013, we stayed here two years ago too and simply fell in love with the place. The Rimrock I would say is one of the best places to stay, the other being Banff Springs. The rimrock's views are simply amazing but only if you book the right type of room grade, I noticed that some rooms overlooked the multi storey car park so just bare that in mind when booking.
Rooms are comfortable and the staff are generally very nice, our check in wasn't the warmest of check ins but concierge more than made up for it being very friendly.
I'm a keen swimmer and one factor that I loved about the hotel when we stayed two years ago was that it had a swimming pool, I used the pool a few times during the stay but had to stop as there was sand/grit in the large hot tub at the bottom (I'm not being picky- it seemed that someone had dumped a bucket of sand in it) and the swimming pool was seriously murky and made my skin itch like mad - funnily enough the hotel closed it shortly after for a few day's.

Generally I would advise you give the rimrock a go, they have some massive pluses such as the complimentary roam bus which gives you a lift into downtown Banff every forty minutes but be weary at weekends as the hotel is always full!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for posting your experience of The Rimrock Resort Hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! After a fresh snow, it is always a pleasure to look out the windows at the majestic snow-capped mountains. I would like to apologize for the closing of the pool, there minor difficulties with the pump which I am happy to report have been rectified. I trust you had a safe trip home and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Rimrock soon! Don't forget to checkout our website for great rates and specials!

Cordially,

Nathan Adair
Front Desk Manager
(t) 403.762.1808
(e) nathan.adair@rimrockresort.com

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!