“Overpriced” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast for free!
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed at Rimrock and i can honestly say that this hotel is super overpriced, not much new for banff park. If you really want to save money dont stay here, staff are good however rooms are small. The view is pretty good, the food was oily and not within budget. I hope people really do there research if deciding to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you can come back and try out the new menu options, including our lifestyle menu ~ featuring gluten free and vegetarian options. The Rimrock is also under the process of completing guest room refreshments, based on feedback from you ~ our guest.
Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Yours In Hospitality,
Cara Ullyot
Manager of Guest Services
403.762.1806
Cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great ambience, great dining, specially Eden restaurant, great spa and workout facilities. Really good overall value and service. Better view than the Banff Springs hotel in my opinion. The Eden restaurant was by far the best dining experience we ever had.

Room Tip: There are 4 suites available 700, 702, 800, 802 I believe.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rimrock_Mgmnt, Front Office Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to share your experience. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Eden is the only 5 Diamond restaurant in Western Canada and it truly is a magnificent dining experience. Visit our website for great specials including our inaugural Maple Fest in March. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Front Desk Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here in January 2013, we stayed here two years ago too and simply fell in love with the place. The Rimrock I would say is one of the best places to stay, the other being Banff Springs. The rimrock's views are simply amazing but only if you book the right type of room grade, I noticed that some rooms overlooked the multi storey car park so just bare that in mind when booking.
Rooms are comfortable and the staff are generally very nice, our check in wasn't the warmest of check ins but concierge more than made up for it being very friendly.
I'm a keen swimmer and one factor that I loved about the hotel when we stayed two years ago was that it had a swimming pool, I used the pool a few times during the stay but had to stop as there was sand/grit in the large hot tub at the bottom (I'm not being picky- it seemed that someone had dumped a bucket of sand in it) and the swimming pool was seriously murky and made my skin itch like mad - funnily enough the hotel closed it shortly after for a few day's.

Generally I would advise you give the rimrock a go, they have some massive pluses such as the complimentary roam bus which gives you a lift into downtown Banff every forty minutes but be weary at weekends as the hotel is always full!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You for posting your experience of The Rimrock Resort Hotel. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! After a fresh snow, it is always a pleasure to look out the windows at the majestic snow-capped mountains. I would like to apologize for the closing of the pool, there minor difficulties with the pump which I am happy to report have been rectified. I trust you had a safe trip home and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Rimrock soon! Don't forget to checkout our website for great rates and specials!

Front Desk Manager
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The location is wonderful! outside Banff Avenue with a spectacular view! To go downtown a car or a bus is necessary! With the card of the room showed to the driver the bus is free!The staff of the hotel is very efficient and polite ( as everywhere in Alberta). The connections with the Lake Louise and Sunshine ski resorts are also efficient and free using the 3 areas skipass!The bar has a good coffee and chocolates! The Primerose Restaurant has a Lobster Pappardelle dish really tasty, delicious and special!!! To be pedantic one could say that the turkish bath could be improved as comfortable! The days spent at the Rimrock Resort Hotel will remain as a relaxing, pleasant holiday. Thanks

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself! We are truly fortunate to live in such a beautiful area that offers phenominal skiing. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Canada and trust that you will be able to make it back soon.

Front Dsek Manager
~Check out our website for the latest Specials & Promotions~
Okotoks, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel from the outside looks amazing and the indoor spa, pool, lounge, restaurants look amazing. THEN you get to your room and it's average or even less. There was wallpaper coming off, the treats left were awful, and the room attached was open so the person next door could easily walk into our room. The safe did not work, the remote did not work.
WOULD not stay again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Last August, my family and I travelled with Brewster Transportation from the Westin in Calgary to the Rimrock Resort and Hotel in Banff, Alberta, located within Banff National Park, where I had not stayed in almost 20 years. The resort, nestled in a “sea” of conifers on the side of Sulphur Mountain. Right on Mountain Road, is arguably blessed with the best view among all other hotels in Banff. It has a panoramic view of Rundle Mountain to the East; Tunnel Mountain, Bow River Valley and parts of Banff to the North-North-East, and a mountain chain to the North.

Check-in was tardy, but when we entered our attractively-furnished rooms with comfortable beds, we enjoyed the same stunning view we had already seen prior to check-in. After we had regained our “bearings”, we had a late lunch in the Primrose, one of the resort’s two dining rooms, followed by a drink in the Larkspur lounge, one of two lounges.

At check-in we learned that, if one presents the Rimrock room keys, one may ride free of charge the hybrid-electric Roam buses. Route1 buses operate from/to downtown Banff to Sulphur Mountain, in other words the Rickrock. They operate until 23:00 h. We made ample use of them.

Although he resort has an indoor pool and a whirlpool, we decided to visit the large outdoor thermal pool of The Banff Upper Hot Springs, fed by heated water deep in the earth’s crust. The “Springs” are located a hop and skip just above the resort across Mountain Road. The Pool is open daily from 09:00 to 23:00 h. Adult admission is $7.30 ($6.30 for those 65 and over). Swimsuits, towels and lockers are for rent at $1.00 each. One can theoretically swim in the pool, were it not for the large crowds of bathers, using the pool as a socials gathering place like the ancient Terme di Caracalla in Rome.
Fortunately, we only had to queue for about 15 minutes, compared to an hour or more at peak times. The resort allows its guests to use room towels, when visiting the “Springs”.

After a restful night, we enjoyed breakfast (a la carte or Buffet) in the award-winning Eden fine-dining room, before pick-up by a Brewster Transportation van that took us to the Brewster Bus terminal, where we boarded a luxury bus for a full-day tour (“Mountains, Lakes and Waterfalls”), a most enjoyable and worthwhile event, which we.
highly recommend.

On our second day, we dined in the Eden and were fortunate to obtain a table by the panoramic window, offering the same view we had already enjoyed in our rooms. The dinner and wine menus are extensive, designed to please the most demanding palates. The staff is courteous, efficient and knowledgeable. I ate venison, while my family members enjoyed Alberta beef. The only challenge is that, while sitting by the window and admiring the stunning scenery, one has to tear oneself loose from the scenery, lest the food becomes cold. To gain the necessary “bed-weight”, we spend time in the Larkspur Lounge.

The next morning, I enjoyed the extensive and varied breakfast buffet, while my family, still sated from the prior night’s dinner, decided to the visit The Rimrock Café for juice, croissants and coffee.

Check-out was quick, and our bill correct. What us always impresses when visiting western Canada is the friendliness of its denizens, mirrored only in Atlantic Canada.

While we were somewhat sad to leave the report, the anticipation of riding the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff to Vancouver consoled us, together with the hope to return to the Rimrock

Room Tip: Try for any rooms on the resort's east side
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 1 night stay at the Rimrock, a sort of mini "babymoon", or one last weekend away together before our baby is born. We booked on expedia and only found out the hotel name after booking.

The night before my husband called the hotel and spoke to a male manager and asked if they would be able to do anything special for me, as I am a couple of weeks away from giving birth. The man he spoke to told him that he should be able to upgrade us and that he would make a note on the account.

We arrived at the hotel at 3:45 pm, and my husband inquired as to whether or not they had been able to arrange an upgrade, and learned that no note had ever been added to the reservation, and nothing else was available. My husband was quite disappointed, not with the lack of upgrade, but with the fact that his request was never noted.

The girl then told us that although our room was ready, hotel policy is not to give anyone their keys until 4pm exactly, and she asked us to take a seat. She did say that she would comp our parking as she sensed my husband's disappointment.

We took a seat in the lobby and for the next 20 minutes proceeded to see numerous others be checked in and given their room keys. I decided to go back to the desk and politely asked another young man to explain to me why if hotel policy dictated that no keys be given before 4pm, did I just witness everyone else get their keys.

He seemed shocked, and said that there was no such policy and that the real issue was that our room was not ready. I then asked to speak to the manager and spoke to Amelia, and requested that perhaps in future her staff should just own up to it if a room was not ready, rather than making up elaborate stories about non-existent policies.

At 4:15pm we finally got our keys and made our way to our room. The room was a standard double queen, which was fine as we knew we were not guaranteed any specific room due to booking on expedia. It was clean and adequate, and had a beautiful view, though could have used some updating.

After about an hour or so the manager came to our room and dropped off a special non-alcoholic drink for me and a beer for my husband along with a note apologizing for our check in experience. We certainly appreciated the gesture.

Now for the smaller points:

Room Service: Extremely overpriced, our nachos came to over 30 dollars and came on a regular sized dinner plate, so a very small portion. They were overdone, and the cheese was not layered. I have received better quality room service food at a Holiday Inn.

Pool: We waited until 9:30 pm as it was indicated that it was adult only swimming time from 9:30-10:30pm. We arrives at 9:40pm to a pool full of children. Annoying as we had specifically waited until adult only time. I approached the girl in the spa and asked her if she could arrange for the rule to be enforced, and to her credit she did so immediately. It would however have been nice not to have had to ask. If you advertise something, deliver on it and ask children to leave at 9:30 pm.

Larkspur Lounge: Great service from "Flower", my husband had a couple of drinks and I had sorbet with fresh berries, which was It consisted of 1 strawberry cut in half, two blackberries, and 2 very tiny scoops of sorbet served in a small martini glass.

Spa: EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING, I had a pedicure and my husband had a mssage. For $95 and $130 respectively, we were expecting quality. My pedicure didn't even come close to my regular $45 pedicures in Calgary. The foot and leg massage was more like a light tickle, for only a few minutes, and my french toenail polish was completely botched, I could have done better at home. My husband's massage was "okay", which is difficult to judge as massages are subjective.

Check Out: We were a bit late coming back from the spa and asked for an extra 30 minutes beyond the 12 noon checkout time, and addressed the parking charge as well. The girl said that no note had been made about the comped parking, but after some coaxing, agreed to remove it from the bill.

When my husband went to pull our car around and come back into the room at 12:20 pm, his room keys were deactivated, which was no big deal, but left a poor taste in our mouths.

Overall the entire experience was very disappointing. The quality and service was not 4 star, yet the prices were 4 1/2 to 5 star. Please keep in mind that my husband and I are by no means cheap, and will spend a great deal of money for a quality experience, however we have a huge problem with paying premium prices for non-premium service.

We will not return to the Rimrock, and have had much better experiences for far less money at other hotels right in town.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple