“BED BUGS!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

Save Saved
You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 33 hotels in Banff
calgary
“BED BUGS!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had quite the rude awakening at 5:30am, when this critter woke me up in bed. When I showed the hotel manager photos she was nothing but rude about it. Told me that it was a wood beetle which they get due to renovations. Well, the part of the hotel I was in was extremely outdated, so that seems unlikely. And also doesn't explain the bites i have all in a row (which is typical of bed bug bites). Also, telling me of a known beetle infestation is not exactly a consolation.

She was adamant that this was not a bed bug, meanwhile told me to make sure I don't bring my belongings in my house, and to put everything in the wash on high heat (which is exactly what you do when you find a bed bug in a hotel bed!!)

She offered me a 25% discount which is somewhat insulting considering it ruined what was supposed to be a relaxing getaway & requires a considerable amount of effort on my part to ensure I do not bring the bed bugs home with me. When I said that was disappointing she said "I'm sorry you feel that way".

I understand that these things happen and it's not an easy thing for hotels to avoid. But what really left a bad taste in my mouth was the way the hotel manager decided to handle the situation.

Also of note: The hotel hot tub was filthy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cara U, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

We take all our guest comments very seriously and the health, well being and comfort of our guests are our number one priorities. We have completed a thorough inspection and we would like to assure you that we have found no evidence. Bed bugs are a global issue in the hospitality industry and although they are not completely preventable, measures can be taken to control them. The Rimrock Resort Hotel works with a pest control partner to ensure that all preventative measure available are taken.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance, or if you require any additional information.

Cara Ullyot
Manager of Guest Services
403.762.1806

1,740 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Uncomfortable bed, poor service, 24 hrs to change a light bulb fridge doesn't work , Fairmont Banff springs is the better option for a stress free stay. Management takes no responsibility for anything.

• Stayed January 2013
Cara U, Guest Relations Manager at Rimrock Resort Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
It is disappointing to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. We want each guest to have an amazing experience and strive to always go above and beyond! I have brought your comments to our Management team and we have followed up to ensure that your next experience is nothing short of WOW!

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance

Cara Ullyot
Guest Services Manager
403.762.1806
cara.ullyot@rimrockresort.com
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I went to the Rimrock in the middle of January, 2012. The hotel staff were very welcoming. The hotel was well maintained to a high quality. I did not think it was tired. It is decorated in a traditional style and is very comfortable. The food we ate there was well presented and tasty.

Unfortunately Eden was closed on the two days we stayed there which was disappointing. We have eaten there before and loved it.

I used the spa and had a great massage and a mediocre pedicure. While the nail tech I had was very pleasant, I felt she good have made a bit more of an effort - the nail varnish is still looking good though!

Banff was quiet in January and the Hotsprings were empty so it was a great time to visit them.

All in all a great visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel! The best thing about it was the views from our room. When you check in, I suggest you ask to see the room before booking it. They had us booked in a room with a balcony that overlooked the parking lot where the shuttles come and go constantly! Now the company was paying for this room, so I asked for an upgrade and we paid the difference. One night the upgrade was 200.00! But then we got a different upgrade that was only 50.00 a night. It was well worth it. We spent the remainder of nights in that room. The food in restaurant is very expensive. We did room service the first night in front of our mountain view in our white robes.
The service was excellent. They made sure we were happy. It was much better than the Fairmont where most of the company was staying. I heard the rooms were small and stuffy with tiny windows because it is an older building. We were very happy with this place. They had a good coffee bar, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a quick tour of room so you can check view and price compare with another room if necessary.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

In the valley there are a host of hotel choices. In my opinion The Rimrock edges out all the others. No it wasn't built by the railroad. No it doesn't have sprawling grounds. No it doesn't have a golf course attached. But it does have startling views of the mountains. And modern rooms and facilities. And fine dining. All in, a luxury, high-end hotel that gives you the feeling that you're well away from it all. Even though the town is right around the corner.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good with fine views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We decided to spend a weekend in Banff and chose this resort...I initially tried to book a resort right in town but everything was booked...so glad we ended up with this one. Check in was a breeze...the view from the room was amazing! The staff along with the mountain views are what truly make this hotel stand out.
I booked online but I had to call the hotel directly b/c I didn't get a confirmation number right away...I mentioned that it was my daughter's bday and that I needed to ensure we had a room booked..she assured me it was booked and proceeded to give me the confirmation number. Once we were settled away in our room there was a knock at the door-a staff member handed my daughter a bday card with 2 chocolates! Nice touch! It made her day! I had forgotten that I mentioned it when I called in...
Everyone that worked here greeted us with smiles and asked we were always asked if we needed assistance with something...We ate at Primrose and the dinner was great..so glad we got talking to the waiter about ski hills...he gave us some useful info as to which one would be good for us beginners..lol...We used every facility this hotel had to offer-right down to the ice rink outside and enjoyed them all. This place is a short walk to the hot springs- which was great.
I do have a couple of negatives though.. the beds...did not find them comfortable but, I survived..all depends on one's personal likes I guess... I also think that if you pay to stay at a hotel (nightly rate, plus tourism levies, tourism improvement fees.... not incl. the other money you spend at the establishment-food, drinks, etc.) I don't think you should have to pay for parking esp. if other hotels in the area offer free parking....just my personal opinion..and why I'm giving it a 4 not a 5...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is an extremely well run, higher-end hotel with great views. If you were looking at the Banff Springs DO consider this instead. Great restaurants, swish rooms, good lobby bar area with open fires, etc. Situated a few steps from the Banff Gondola and the outdoor hot pools. Look up on Tripadvisor.ca and you'll usually find reasonable rates. The only thing not going for it is that it's situated away from the Banff townsite up a long hill so use of a car or shuttle bus is needed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!