“Absolutely best place to stay in banff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rimrock Resort Hotel

You added Rimrock Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Rimrock Resort Hotel
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   300 Mountain Avenue | Box 1110, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1J2, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Seattle, Washington
“Absolutely best place to stay in banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

The Rimrock Resort is located a few miles away, up in the mountains from the city of Banff. The views of the surrounding mountains and valley are incredible. Even though the hotel was almost sold out each night we were there, it never felt crowded. We stayed six nights and paid for four, on their "stay two nights and the third night is free". We had a premium room with an outstanding view of Mt. Rundle and the surrounding area.

The hotel is close to the gondola, which is a must do while in Banff. It is also close to the hot springs, but they were always crowded and it really didn't look very appealing with the masses of people trying to enjoy the pool.

The food at the hotel was great. We had two buffet breakfasts in the Primose dining room and two dinners, including the Prime Rib buffet on Saturday night.

The staff was very helpful and the room was very comfortable. We will stay there again when in Banff.

After a long day . . . and especially if you fight the crowds a bit in Banff, this place is a quiet retreat where you can relax and feel like you are in your own place in the mountains.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms directly over the spa . . . some people told us they could smell chlorine in th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Niagara Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I found this property while searching for a great place to stay in Banff and I have to say, I found the right location. The hotel is outside of Banff's downtown area, so it's quite peaceful. We had a Grandview room, which included a balcony. Our room faced Rundle Mountain and the area below which was nice. We were lucky though that the ajacent balcony was for a hospitality suite that was not in use and our balcony opened to that one. We were treated to a serene and spectacular view of the Bow Valley during sunrise. Tip 1: Get a Grandview room and ask for a room facing the Bow Valley. Plus, with the Grandview room, you get free wi-fi, 15% off in resort dining, free valet service. We took advantage of all.

We treated ourselves to a couples massage. VERY nice experience. We were given robes to wear along with a locker to keep our stuff secure. The massages were great. The staff was wonderfully friendly--not an every day occurence with spas. I've been to a few--they can be snooty. But not here. In fact, not one person we encountered had any airs to them. All of the staff were wonderful, welcoming and friendly.

After the massage, we were able to unwind and relax outdoors since it was a nice day. really superb.

We didn't try the pool--it looked nice, but we had a packed schedule. We did eat at the Primrose. The food was good, service good. Steaks were cooked to order and flavorful, as were the butters to go with the warm, fresh breads. We opted not to do the buffet--but I saw a number of people enjoying that.

We did room service for breakfast the next morning--delivered cheerfully and earlier than promised!

Our room was pretty, tastefully decorated. The balcony could use a few repairs (wood needs to be refinished and painted and some of the concrete had cracks) but that wasn't a deal breaker.

Overall I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a nice hotel in the Banff area but not willing to pay Fairmount prices.

Room Tip: Grandview is worth the price because there are perks that go with it. Ask for a view of the Bow Val...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
High River, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Whilst the purpose of my wife and I stay was not for pleasure, we figured a hotel like the Rimrock would please. In my opinion the decor of the rooms looks outdated and for a premium suite room with a view that was very nice to look at, didn't really impress for the price we were paying. Our room was discounted due to a wedding we were DJing at, so I can only think how disappointed I would have been had we paid full price. To be charged for bottled water that is left in a tray with the coffee and sugar... really? And At $3 a bottle? I should have expected it but I learnt my lesson! Same lesson as having to pay for chocolate that has the rimrocks name on it (figured it was complimentary) as did we for the nuts.... not the case. Of course it is too late to do anything when you go to check out, so there we have it! Very expensive hotel!

Room Tip: Higher Floor isn't needed but it was a great view to wake to.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

On a weekend golf package or we normally would not have stayed. It appears to be more for conventions. Found the hotel average for that area. We ate at the lobby bar after golf, service was slow, wings were average, but it was the busiest we've ever seen Banff.

Unable to reserve dinner until 9;15pm so we decided to walk around, the hotel itself is not at all huge, best to walk up to the hot springs if looking to stretch your legs, or, take the shuttle in to Banff.

The Restaurant was average in service, meals and price. We won't be eating there again. The Fairmont Banff or Chateu Lake Louise are worth the higher price if you are looking for more than a place to sleep! They are uncomprable and our hotels of shoice in that area.

PS the beds were quite firm, neither of us had a good nights sleep?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I recently stayed 1 night at the Rimrock Resort. I have to admit I really enjoyed it. After working in the hotel business for 17 years, most at the 4 diamond level, I'm a little picky. Here is the goods on the resort.

Reqested at checkin an upgrade to a room with a view. They charged me for it, but it was well worth it. I had a great view of the mountain with a small bacony to look out. The room is well kept, and clean. The rooms are a little dated, and starting to show thier age however, nothing that should turn anyone off. My only complaint about the room was their enviromental program objectives are great however the selection in toilet paper is poor.

The lobby bar was great. The lounge server was exceptional. Just the right amount of attention, and great with suggestions.

Concierge was very helpful regarding getting around Banff. The city bus (which was free) comes right to the doorstep of the hotel and will bring you into downtown Banff.

Overall, a really well kept hotel, I din't have any complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Fort McMurray Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Having taken many relatives through the Rockies over numerous years, I am very familiar with the different hotels in Banff. While some hotels have been awesome for young kids to run around (especially those on Tunnel Mountain), this hotel was just what I was looking for this year when I traveled there with 2 teenage boys.

The Perks
The staff were excellent - super friendly and helpful. The valet parked our car, stored 3 bikes, and helped with luggage. The dinner was fabulous and we really enjoyed relaxing in the restaurant and lobby in the evening. The boys could walk over to the gondola and hot springs while I read a book outside. Normally we love walking around downtown Banff at night but this hotel made us want to rush back to enjoy the solitude and peace. I don't think we'd ever go down to noisy, busy Banff at night again.

Although wi-fi wasn't free, that didn't bother us as we had our i-phones. Parking cost money too but well worth the valet parking for ease of mind ($30 night). We tried to book into the spa but it didn't have any openings for 2 days - so book before you get there. The rooms were of moderate size & furnishings but we really didn't spend much time there so it didn't bother us.

Every time I drove by the Rimrock in previous years I always wondered what it would be like. I am happy to say that it was wonderful.

Room Tip: I got a really good rate for this hotel on TravelZoo.com that included valet parking, free breakfast...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oshawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Well if you want a perfect location for a hotel then the Rimrock is the hotel for you. The hotel is on the side of a mountain, hot springs across the road and the gondolas to the top of the mountain right next next door but location isn't everything when it comes to travelling, a good nights rest is another. A standard room will cost you over $200 a night with a questionable mattress policy. You see if you don't upgrade when you register as I was told when I was leaving you will be given what they call is a standard mattress. A Best Western or a Super 8 would be embarrassed to have in their rooms. Enough already with the sleeping I'll let you be the judge.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rimrock Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!