“Could be so much better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Save Saved
You added Mount Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Royal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A7, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 33 hotels in Banff
“Could be so much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

After spending seven nights at MRH these were our impressions:

Let's start with the negatives, so we can finish off with the good stuff

- The Internet (WIFI) was the slowest we ever encountered in any hotel. Our room didn't have any signal so we had to change rooms after one night (we're travelling for a while and really need the net to book our next destination) Luckily one of the tech guys lent us an ethernet cable which we plugged in and were finally able to access the net.

- The water pressure was sure great (like many people rave about on TA), but the shower made this really loud, high-pitch, annoying noise which made it quite hard to take a shower and relax

- The hotel can be quite noisy, especially on weekends and many of the rooms look over the main road (not really the hotel's fault, but something to be aware of).

The good stuff:

- Customer service was well above average. Staff were helpful and willing to make a difference to our stay

- The free shuttle bus (if you purchase a ski pass valid for all three Banff ski resorts) stops right behing the hotel and the hotel offers free ski storage

- The spa pool (didn't try the sauna) was great after a hard day on the slopes.

I guess the internet being so slow and temperamental made us drop our rating by one star. Unfortunately we rely on good internet to stay in touch with our family and to organize the next leg of our trip, so that is something we are quite picky about.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and try your WIFI connection before you unpack your bags
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you so much for providing your feedback on your recent stay. We value your comments and use them in our quest to ever-improve our service.

We have heard the recent comments about our usually reliable Wi-Fi and we have spent the last 3 weeks trouble-shooting with our wireless service provider on what was making our network ineffective in certain areas of the hotel. I am happy to report that we have made some adjustments to the network that are now making the signal more reliable in all areas. But I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and assure you that we will continue to keep close tabs on the network.

I would also like to thank you for your warm commnets about our staff and your recognition of their willingness to make a difference. They greatly appreciate hearing such remarks!

We hope to see you again one day and thank you for staying with us

Daren Hill

479 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here the week of February 17th.

Location: Great!! Right on Banff Avenue, if you're coming to ski/snowboard the shuttle picks you up right at the back of the hotel. There is a hotel restaurant as well as a Tony Roma's in the same building, if that suits your fancy.

Staff: Excellent!! Staff are very friendly and always helpful.

Rooms: We were on the 2nd floor in a premium room with 2 queen beds. They do have a limited amount of rooms with king beds in them. The pillow top mattress was very comfortable. The room was quite large, no complaints in terms of space. The rooms and hotel building for that matter are dated and could use some significant updating. Our main issue was the noise, the walls and floors of this hotel are thin. So thin in fact that they provide complimentary earplugs in your room, you can hear people walking thru the hallways as well as hear footsteps from the room above you. My best advice here is to get a room on the top floor.

If you're looking for average accommodations at a reasonable price, aren't too fussy and are not a light sleeper I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the top floor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Very disappointed with staff. I have stayed here before and the rooms are average but fantastic location.
The staff repeatedly lies. When I asked for a room with a fridge they said that the building is old and can't handle fridges. The room I stayed in before had a fridge and their room service staff said there are fridges in some rooms. Then they said I couldn't switch rooms because the hotel was fully booked when their sign in the front clearly says there are vacancies.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Sara L

I was sorry to read of your disappointment with our staff. We strive to train our staff thoroughly to be able to meet every potential situation and anticipate each guest's need, but I think in your experience there must have been a misunderstanding, and I apologize that my staff were not properly prepared for that. In point of fact, about 20% of our rooms accommodate a fridge and depending on the type of room you have booked, the availability of a vacant room with a fridge will decline greatly when we are nearly full. It sometimes happens that room types with a fridge can be sold out while the hotel itself may have vacancy overall. I am extremely sorry that this was not properly communicated to you, and I will see to it that all front desk staff are prepared for this in the future.

Wishing you the best in your travels

Daren Hill
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Ok at first glance this hotel seemed great, and it could have been. It is an awesome location right in the middle of everything and if you request a room away from the road it is very quiet. The hotel room is very nice, comfortable everything you need. My major problem(and this really ruined our stay) was that the room we stayed in was sooo hot(i mean 25 degrees or higher) and the internal thermostat didn't work. We also had a room that we weren't able to open the window too. We stayed family day weekend so the hotel was booked up and we thought that when we first go to the room someone had turned the heat up, so we turned the thermostat down and went out for our evening. When we returned at 11:30 pm the room had not cooled down at all. We couldn't sleep with the covers, and luckily we brought our own fan(as we often do for white noise) so that helped, but it was so hot we woke up in sweats and both got a terrible nights sleep. And since I rate a hotel on my sleep quality I found this to be poor. I imagine it was just this wing of the hotel, and if we had said something earlier we could have been moved rooms, but this ruined our stay. It is a good price for downtown banff and I might stay again if I was able to see the room before I booked(to confirm that it wasn't a sauna inside).

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a window you can open.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We came to check in and were told that their check in time isn't until 4. We were a bit surprised, but left our stuff locked in their closet and went for a walk around the town. When we came back at 4 we were told that our room still wasn't ready. The lady helping me searched around and found us a different room that was ready. Thankfully, since the gent on the other side of her walkie talkie was saying it was going to be over an hour until our room was ready. When we walked into our room, we were confused. Modern furniture combined with poorly painted walls, and a severely stained and fraying carpet. Our bathroom was small, but I expected that, since we were staying in a very old hotel. What I didn't anticipate was the filth in the bathroom. Where the counter, tub and floor met the walls was a thick layer of dirt. (It was so bad that I snapped some pics on my phone) The water coming out of the sink stunk like rotten eggs, to the point that we used bottled water to brush our teeth. We also had no towels. We called down about the towels and were informed that we had no towels, because there were none clean. We left at one point to go check out the hot springs, and came back to find no parking. We called in and were told that we were going to have to try to find street parking then. That's right, they only have about 50 parking spots to support well over 100 rooms. When we got back from the hike from our car to our room we discovered that someone had brought us 2 towels. More were offered to us at 9pm, when we were already hanging out in bed. We love staying in Banff, and usually stay at the Ptarmigan, but thought we'd try somewhere new, since we loved the building and the reviews were decent. We've learned our lesson now.

• Stayed February 2014
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Nothing special but fairly priced and in the hustle and bustle of Banff. Staff were helpful and friendly. Was disappointed with the cleanliness of the sauna/jaccusi area. Tony Roma's that's connected to the hotel had great service and food. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
MRHGuestServices, Front Desk Supervisor at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Stacers77

Thank you for your most recent review of the Mount Royal Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our helpful and friendly staff.

We take all feedback very seriously and sincerely apologies that you were disappointed in the cleanliness of the sauna and jacuzzi area. I have passed on your comments to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure this does not happen again.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Meaghan Young
Front Desk Supervisor
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The Mount Royal has the best location in Banff but it is a pity that the service is so poor. We stayed there for five nights in late December 2013. On no day was our room serviced. On two nights after the cleaning staff had left we had to go to reception to request clean towels. On two other nights we caught cleaning staff as they were about to leave and had to ask them to empty bins and provide clean towels. On one night we were provided with only hand towels and were initially told that there were no bath towels - fortunately some bath towels were found on another floor. Despite the lack of service in our room, other rooms must have been cleaned as the hallways were littered until late in the day with bags of rubbish and dirty linen. Further we had a plumbing problem which had a temporary fix but a bucket had to be left under the washbasin to catch any drips - it was still there when we left. Finally we were provided with out of date information about times for the ski bus and missed a big part of a morning's skiing. On arriving home we provided feedback via the website and expected some explanation or apology but the Mount Royal must believe that "silence is golden". Overall the location does not make up for the dismal service.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Front Office Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Don M,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review here. I have looked through the feedback from the system on our website, and I'm sorry to say that I could not find your response. I will follow up with our web team, as I can assure you that we value your feedback extremely highly and respond to all comments that we do receive.

I would primarily like to convey my most sincere regrets for the perfect storm of problems that you experienced while staying with us. We do set ourselves a very high standard for guest service which we were clearly unable to meet for you. We have already investigated internally what happened and taken steps to ensure that there is not a repeat of any of these issues.

It is true that we have a fantastic location in downtown Banff, and I hope that on your next visit you would consider giving us another chance to deliver what we consider to be the true Mount Royal Hotel experience.

Carl Rickards
Brewster Hospitality

Been to Mount Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!