“Nice little hotel in the heart of Banff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

You added Mount Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Royal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A7, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Nice little hotel in the heart of Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Pros: As central a location to Banff as is possible, this hotel is close to everything in 'downtown' Banff. It is a bit of a ways to the Hot Springs (Although everything in Banff is a bit of a ways from the Hot Springs except for the Rimrock) but it is conveniently located within a hundred meters to most of what Banff has to offer for dining, shopping, and so on. Room was recently renovated, and the beds were some of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Great water pressure for a nice hot shower after a day in the mountains kept me smiling all the way to bed. Helpful front desk staff were pleasant. There was a sauna in the basement, too. Price was good especially for the town in general. I felt like I got a good deal on the room. High ceilings (at least on the 3rd floor. I can't speak for first or second floor) made the room feel very spacious.

Cons: Building construction I think is wood - so you hear loud hallway walkers (which is prevalent in a town centered on mountain tourism, so people wear ski boots as shoes some times) and I was pretty sure I heard not one but two loud couples at night as well. However, I should mention that it was no worse than most other hotels, but I list it as a con because, simultaneously, the sound isolation was no better either. If you are a light sleeper, this might be a problem for you. The lighting in the room was bluish-fluorescent; props for being environmentally conscious, but it changes the atmosphere in the room negatively as far as I'm concerned...

Overall: For the price range, this place is a great deal. I would stay here again and I recommend it to most people. If I wanted to have a Banff Extravaganza and money was no concern I would probably look for a place that was a bit quieter as far as how the building is constructed, but it's so hard to know that without having stayed there before - or if other reviewers have specifically mentioned that - but all other factors of this place - quality of service, value, bed quality, location - were awesome.

Room Tip: I imagine the third floor (only a three floor building) is the quietest. You'd only have people...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MRHGuestServices, Manager on Duty at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Dresdenk

Greetings from the Mount Royal Hotel!

I was glad to read that you had a good experience while you were staying with us. We strive to ensure our guests are happy and I am pleased to see that staff went out of their way to ensure that you had a memorable stay.

It is great to hear you enjoyed the renovations of our guest rooms. I will be sure to pass your comments on to our renovation team.

Thank you again for sharing with us. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Manager on Duty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel back in january this year it was the best experience ever the hotel was amazing the staff were amazing the town was beautiful never have or will see a better place and altho it was -40 outside it always felt warm and cosy in the hotel and rooms it was clean and tidy the food was wonderful the shops were all great with wonderful staff in them the friendly people i have met. This is the best hotel to stay in if you come here surrounded by the rockies covered in snow its true what they say once your here you wont wanna leave

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Daniel

Greetings from the Mount Royal Hotel.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed yourself while staying at our hotel. I have taken the liberty to pass on all of your nice comments to our staff. We do take great pride in proving excellent customer service to all our guests, and we are humbled that we made an extra positive impact on your stay.

Thank you for sharing with us, and we truly look forward to serving you in Banff again.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The rooms specially the front side view is just too good . luxury at its best . The rooms are large with all possible facilities.
Centrally located in Market and near to tourist bus stop make it easily accessible.
The food is nice also but what touches the most is the service .

Room Tip: Road side rooms are good.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Phonix
Greeetings from the Mount Royal Hotel!

It was a pleasure fo us to host your visit to Banff . It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I’m happy that you were able to take advantage of the hotel’s central location and all our town has to offer its guests. We are truly humbled and found it a joy to have had you in house.
Thank you for sharing with us and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

we have stayed two nights in this hotel, the room was very cosy and heater had been provided to us when we asked for it. But the view from the window was not breathtaking at all (just another building's wall), but the room was clean and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

This was my first time to Banff and i loved it. I went on a skiing holiday so we werent in the hotel that much but the location was great, with the ski bus parking right in the car park we always got a seat. The staff were always friendly and helpful. When we arrived we arrived to 2 rooms being booked, but it was quickly sorted out and we had no problems. We had breakfast at Tony Romas which isnt as good as some of the other hotels breafasts but was still nice. Would recommend this hotel because of the freindly staff and great location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and signed a waiver regarding not leaving a dog unattended in our room. We briefly stepped out with the dog left in a crate in the room (broke the rules). Our dog must have barked and disturbed neighbours which is not a normal occurrence with our dog. We returned to the hotel to a locked room so we went down to the desk to get back in and there was our dog at the reception desk.. I'm not sure who gave them the right to steal or remove anything from a room since the waiver clearly indicates that the guest will have to remove the pet if necessary. We were not informed or contacted!

I would also like to note that when booking the room, I asked if there are any rooms available with 2 beds. They told me that there were none so I then booked 2 separate rooms. What do we arrive to... 2 rooms each with 2 beds in them. Oh we also found a random pill capsule on our floor when we arrived.. nice nasty touch. Needless to say.. not impressed and poorly managed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

First let me start by apologizing for what has happened to you during your stay. Our hotel policy regarding pets is very clear and you were made aware of it on check in. What transpired next should never have happened. This was a clear mistake and we take full responsibility for this. I have personally contacted our security provider and inform them of this incident, I also refreshed their memory on the proper hotel procedure when it comes to pets in guest rooms. I was assured by the owner of the company that this will never happen again.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

Regards,

Hotel management.
Worcester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were traveling with a bus tour group and stayed for two nights at the Mount Royal in Banff, AB. The hotel is well situated in the town, a brief walk to the Bow River Bridge in one direction and in the other the hotel is very close to all the shops and restaurants. Breakfasts were included with our package. While the breakfast buffet offered here was good, it fell short of the breakfasts we enjoyed at the six other hotels booked on our tour from Seatle through Idaho and Monatana into Alberta,and British Columbia and back to Seatle via Vancouver..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mount Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!