“Super nice!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

You added Mount Royal Hotel to your Saves list
Mount Royal Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A7, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Texel, The Netherlands
“Super nice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Very good, nice service, big clean room! In the center. Good breakfast en nice lounge.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Good afternoon and thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was thrilled to see that you had such a good experience while you were with us. I will pass on your comments to our front line staff and breakfast servers as well. You are not the first person who comment on our location, it is unbeatable, I do agree with you.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we sincerely hope to see you again.

Hotel management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

This hotel had lots of charm and was in a perfect location, right downtown in Banff. The rooms were clean, cozy and a good size. There was lots of parking.The staff was helpful and very friendly. The hotel was well priced and we will definitely be returning again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2011
Thank-you for taking a few moments to send us your feedback regarding your last visit to the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was very happy to see that you had such a good experience while you were in our facility. The hotel’s location is for sure very convenient, seconds away from all that Banff has to offer. I will pass on your nice comments to our staff. Providing excellent customer service is one of our primary goal here at the hotel.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we certainly hope to see you again.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We were without a car. This hotel is centrally located on Banff Ave; surrounded by all types of shops, restaurants and activities. Older style hotel; quaint, extremely well kept.
Very quiet, enjoyable stay. Front desk stay very friendly. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was glad to read that you’ve had a very positive experience here at the hotel. Our location is unbeatable I do agree with you, it is one of our biggest strength along with staff training. I will personally pass on your nice comments to our front-desk staff.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Canadian Rockies coach tour. The exterior looked as though it had been newly repainted and redone. We were happy with the room, though the toilets are low flow and tended to clog. Also, the room was quite hot when we arrived, and the air conditioner didn't seem up to the job of cooling the room. It did eventually cool down. The hotel has two elevators -- one was the slowest elevator I'd ever encountered. If you stay here, use the bell hop elevator (which is much faster). The location is the truly special thing about this hotel. It is in the middle of everything! I'd stay here again, but I'd bring a fan if you like a cool room.

• Stayed July 2011
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Thank-you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I’m glad to see that you’ve had a good experience while you were staying with us. Our location is for sure very practical, right in the heart of town, seconds away from all the shops and restaurants. Over the last several months, we have in fact improve our product, fresh coat of paint, new bedding, new flat screen TV, etc… We always try to provide the best possible product to our guests. We will take a look at our air conditioning units in our guest room to make sure that they are all working at peak efficiency.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I booked a room through Orbitz at a decent rate but when I arrived at the hotel late at night (as I requested in my hotel reservation), I was turned away by the rude and uncaring front desk person who refused to even look at the print out of my reservation! She kept repeating that she had no rooms and did not need to see the reservation. I checked with Orbitz and they confirmed that the reservation was sent to the hotel the same day that I booked it. They said that the hotel must have given my room away for more money since it was a busy time.

I love Banff and have stayed at other hotels nearby that were much better! There are many reasons that this hotel is one of the cheaper options available...it's worth a few extra bucks to stay somewhere else where at least you can trust that you have a room when you arrive!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
Thank-you for the comment regarding your latest trip to Banff.

On behalf of the hotel, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your most recent visit with us. We have reviewed our reservation process with our staff to rectify the situation you experienced. We pride ourselves on customer service and by no means would we give a booked room away for more money. We value being honest with all of our guests and look forward to having you stay with us again to experience the Mount-Royal the way you intended.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in June as part of a brewsters tour. The hotel itself is in a perfect location on the main street in Banff.

The only problem with this hotel is half is renovated and half isn't and we were given a non renovated room. There were stains on the carpet, the walls were peeling and the bathroom was very old. One if the taps was missing a hot or cold symbol, just made it look cheap.

There was no fridge in the room and there's nothing better than being able to take a bottle of nice cold water on the next day's tour.

Overall it was a place to sleep and it did the job but it wasn't impressive and I was surprised that we were given a non renovated room as the Brewster tour company is a massive and excellent company and every other hotel on the 5 day tour provided amazing rooms.

If I return to Banff I would choose a different hotel just to see how the experiences differ.

• Stayed June 2011
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thank-you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel, we do use comments like yours as a tool to improve our overall product.

I was sorry to read that your stay was not completely to your liking. We do have a limited amount of rooms with fridges in them, if we know in advance that a guest needs a fridge, we do try very hard to accommodate that specific request. We do have two section in the hotel and they were both renovated at the same time. In recent months, we have improved our product by switching to white bedding in all of our rooms and as of last week, we now have flat screen TV in all of our rooms as well.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and have a good day.

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Banff is a lovely place and the Mount Royal is a great hotel from which to enjoy it. The hotel is centrally located, but as the town is quite small we had 2 good night’s sleep there. The staff were friendly and we had no problems during our stay.
We stayed in a suite room – one room with a large comfy sofa in front of a flat screen TV, and the bedroom with 2 queensize beds and a large mirrored wardrobe. In the living space there was also a fridge which was very handy. The bathroom was nice too; the shower had a decent amount of pressure which is a problem I often have with hotels, so no complaints there.
We ate in the hotel restaurant both nights as we enjoyed the atmosphere and food so much. There is the choice of sitting in the restaurant itself, or the bar. We sat in the bar both times and it was pleasant – sport was on the TV but without the sound, and the music wasn’t overwhelming either. The waiters were really friendly and helpful (and not at all patronising when I didn’t understand some of the things on the menu!).
The only thing we didn’t try was breakfast – admittedly it didn’t look hugely appetising, so we had coffee in town (As the hotel is centrally placed this wasn’t a problem). However, as I didn’t try it I couldn’t say either way whether it was good or not!
It’s well located for tours – we were on a Brewster tour and the pick up point was right next to the hotel. This seemed to be the case for a lot of other tours too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Good morning and thank-you for your feedback in regards to your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I’m thrilled to see that you had such a good time while you were here. You are not the first guest to comment on the excellent water pressure in the shower, I do agree that it’s important. As you said, our location is unbeatable, minutes away even seconds sometime from all the shops and restaurants. I will pass on your nice comments to all of our staff, it will make their day!

Again, thank-you for your comments and come see us again.

Hotel management.

Been to Mount Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!