“Enjoyed our stay...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Inns Of Banff

You added Inns Of Banff to your Saves list
Inns Of Banff
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Enjoyed our stay...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

My wife and I spent two nights in October 2006 at the Inns of Banff. In our view, it was quite clean, we had no problems with its appearance or anything. We especially liked the rooftop hot tub, which was great on the snowy night we were there. It was very convenient to the gorgeous Bow Valley Parkway, and the downtown area as well. I'd stay there again, as it was a great rate.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Korean first
calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

i have stayed at Inns few times, This place used to be clean and better service but not anymore... i was wondering why.
i guess Owner and management changed 1-2years ago.
but still good for the price.

Stayed December 2006
Houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2006

Stayed at the Inns of Banff for 1 night (Sat-Sun) in mid Dec 06. I drove in from Calgary early Sat morning (~75 min drive, FYI), and stopped at the hotel to rent some skis and get some breakfast. Both were fine - the folks at the rental shop attached to the hotel were great, and the breakfast was expensive but ok (service a little slow, but not terrible). The hotel offers a shuttle bus to/from Sunshine village for ~$10 each way, but it's far easier and faster to drive. There's plenty of parking at the base, and I overheard folks saying that the bus was really late the day before. It's about a 10 or 15 minute drive to the mountain, so I just drove myself.

Returned to the hotel Sat afternoon to check in, and got a standard room in the building to the right of the lobby/restaurant. Let's just say the pictures online don't show the room in its 'true' light. The carpet was filthy, the room was dark (3 small lamps only), the bathroom was disgusting, and the place just had an overall run-down feeling to it. As others have posted, I too had problems with the door lock. My room was also directly across from the door leading outside, and after only 20 minutes I went to ask for a different room due to the noise of people coming in and out over and over. I was moved upstairs (where the TV was less static-y), but the room was equally as run-down. Stains in the shower, something that resembled blood on the curtains (I'm not kidding), and another finicky door lock. Plus next door and across the hall there were a bunch of rowdy kids yelling and running around for a while. I decided to get out and see the town.

The shuttle bus that comes around is free after 4 or 5pm, so I took that into town. There are plenty of restaurants and things to see, plus a Safeway and various little gift shops. Overall a very nice little ski town. I decided to walk back to the hotel, which was only about 10 or 15 minutes, and was a great way to wind down after a long day of skiing and take in some more mountain air.

For a few hours after getting back, there were kids hanging out in the hallway a few doors down and running back and forth. Finally I heard someone come down the hall and ask them what they were doing and where they belonged (cop? security? who knows). That seemed to quiet them down, and I fell asleep a little while later. Morning checkout was easy, and I got back in my car and drove past the throngs of people waiting for the bus to drive them to the mountain.

PROS: Proximity to Hwy 1 (route to Sunshine, Lake Louise); ski rental discount (10%) for hotel guests; price
CONS: Dirty, noisy, expensive restaurant, dirty, noisy. In serious need of a major overhaul.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Dirty, Loud
  • Tips/Secrets — Drive yourself to the mountain, buy a Sunshine/Marmot card at Safeway to save big $$$ on lift tickets.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Huddersfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2006

It's that time of year again and we're getting ready to go to our 'second home' for Christmas and New Year.
The location is great for skiers - first on the ski bus on a morning and first off at night! Often the bus can be filled at the Inns and goes straight to the hill - no time wasted on other stops!
We were a bit worried by the change in management and owners last year but changes have been made for the better. The beds now have lovely feather toppers, the Bear's Den opens earlier than before and the hot tub is open for longer.
Can't wait to get back to the friendly staff, fantastic breakfast and great surroundings of the Inns.
Chris and Nikki Lawton

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lloydminster, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2006

We stayed at the Inns of Banff from November 11-15. We arrived the first night at 10:00 pm after driving for 8 1/2 hours. Our room was a dark, dingy, little room in the old Swiss Village building. There was white dust all over the bathroom door and a little on the counter top. There was grime around the tub drain and there was dirt in the corners of the tub. It looked as if the bathroom had not been cleaned since the last people. We immediately complained that our room was dirty, and the guy we talked to (Trevor) was very nice and offered to send someone to clean in right away and told us that he would move us to a different room the next morning. The next day, they called and told us our new room was ready and sent a bellboy over to get our luggage. To our suprise, they put us in a junior suite! The suite was very nice and clean, with a huge balcony. Throughout our stay, the staff was very helpful. But, as others have stated, the rugs in the halls needed vacuuming quite bad. The elevator also sounded like it was going to die. We were very disappointed that the rooftop hot pool was closed for maintenance, which of course they never mentioned when I booked the room. Overall, the staff was excellent, our suite was awesome, but the rest of the hotel did not look like a 3 star hotel but more like a 2 star. I probably won't stay there again next time we are in banff.

• Liked — staff was great
  • Disliked — cleanliness of hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — request to stay in the main buiding
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

We used to go to Banff quite often but the hotels and Banff gate fee just got too pricey. We decided to go to Banff for a break and booked the Inns of Banff. I must say that we really enjoyed our stay and the one thing I liked the best was how friendly the staff was. In times where employees can get jobs a dime a dozen it was nice to see that the Inn have employees that really care about customer service. We will definatley stay again

Stayed October 2006
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

The Inns overall is average. My friend's described it as a Holiday Inn Express. For the price, it's not a bad deal. I read the other reviews about the carpet being dirty, which is true (they could use some new carpet in the place), but the room was clean and comfortable. I did have a problem with the door when I first got to the room. I could unlock the door but the handle wouldn't latch the bolt properly so I had to try several times before I got in. If you stay in room 417A, pull the handle up to make it work.

The Inns did upgrade me to a superior because they were overbooked for the weekend which was a nice surprise. The staff at the front desk, Bear's Den, and Wildfire Grill were very friendly and helpful. I didn't get a chance to use the outdoor pool but it did look like it would be great during the winter time with the view.

Yes, it is one of the first hotels you run into when you come into town but Banff is so small that you could probably walk through town in less than half hour. Driving is less than 5 minutes into downtown and thats partly due to the low speed limit.

The rest of my wedding party stayed at Rimrock and the wedding reception was at the Fairmont. Both are very posh hotels up the mountain, but for the money, you could find another hotel near the town center.

Overall, the Inns was fine for the money. You could do better but if you're on a budget, give the Inns a try.

• Liked — Very spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Dirty carpet. Lots of stairs
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Inns Of Banff? Share your experiences!