“Horrible Stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Inns Of Banff

You added Inns Of Banff to your Saves list
Inns Of Banff
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton, Canada
“Horrible Stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had never stayed at this property before but decided to check it out.
Upon arrival the attendant told us the wrong room # and made us drive around for 20 mins trying to find this room # that didn't exist. ( The rooms are located in different buildings- its not just one large center).When I went back to the desk no one said sorry just wrote the proper room # on the key and sent us to find it yet again.
The next morning I decided to extend my stay and booked for another night. After a long day of rock climbing I head back to my room to find in it a WOMAN WHO WAS UNPACKING HER BELONGINGS! My suitcase and all my belongings were still in my room. My girlfriend and I were mortified! Turned out this woman was given our room as well and was expecting a coworker so didn't think twice about the belongings already in the room.
She packed everything back up an we went down to sort it out. The manager wasn't there so I was told no one could help me but this woman was given another room. She was a mature person but what if they had given my room to some teenager who went in and stole all our things? They never put me in a different room as we requested either.
The next morning I went down as told and spoke to a manager. He was unsympathetic and made it seem like it was my fault. He only said the employee had to have cut the same card by accident. He never said it was the employees fault- just brushed it off. I asked to be compensated in some way and he said no. When I asked he responded, "because I'm the manager and that's what I say." He said because nothing was taken there was no damage done.
He charged me full price and made me stay in a room where someone had already been for a few hours.
This hotel is a scam and the service is terrible! Please don't waste your money. This vacation was stressful and I will NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!

Room Tip: Just don't stay at this property
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I did not have the pleasure of meeting you during your stay with us, but I do recall that the Front Office Manager spent considerable time with you regarding this matter.

Although we make every attempt to ensure that all guest's stays are perfect, sometimes things just go off course. I was happy to hear that we rectified this situation immediately. I am also not sure why a guest having a "horrible stay, as you indicate" would extend that stay?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Edmonton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is one geriatric hotel in need of some cosmetic surgery, especially considering the class of the rest of them along Banff's main strip. I stayed one night for a work conference and had it been a longer trip I would have asked for a room discount. The rooms are in serious need of updating- my walls had huge water stains on them, there was one outlet in the entire roon and it was behind the bed. It was clean enough, staff was friendy but other than that it was pretty bad, and really expensive! Bed was terribly uncomfortable and likely should have been replaced some years ago and had a plastic sheet over the mattress that squeaked when you moved!
On the second day they were emtying the oil tanks from the Japanese restaurant attached and the smell was just gagging, unfortunately the tanks are located right across from the main part of the lodge.
All in all a major disappointment and I would never voluntarily choose to stay there again with out a major rebuild (or tear down)

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your comments and compliments on the cleanliness. We recently replaced all the mattresses in the hotel and upgraded the televisions to 40 inch flat screens.

The required oil maintenance in our Japanese restaurant was a very remote process and only takes a few minutes to complete.
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a result of the June flooding stayed for 4 days at Inns of Banff rather than planned 2. First two nights in Swiss village - not great. Old and tired only passably clean. Staff very professional and helpful but no other room available as Canada Day weekend. Got moved day 3 to great room in C block. Watched elk come right down to rear steps! Buffet breakfast is good value and both pools good for kids. hotel is 20 min walk from town centre. Check before u go and ask for a move if allocated room in Swiss village.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Booked though hotwire and then took an upgrade on check in which got me a room with great mountain view and big deck to enjoy it from. They also have an outdoor hot tub with a great view. The decor is a little dated but the rooms are comfortable and clean. Like most places in the area that aren't 4 star, there's no A/C.

Room Tip: Paying extra for a Mountain View room is worth it
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Many of our guests upgrade at check-in allowing them to take advantage of our spectacular mountain views. Our large outdoor hot pool also provides incredible views.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

You get what you paid for. We booked two rooms online looking for the lowest rate inside the town of Banff. The Inns of Banff is located on the strip but the furthest hotel away for the town centre. My retired friends and elderly tourists managed the walk - great after a big meal. The room was basic and clean, although in much need of a facelift. The bathroom needed lots of work: the vent didn't work so the room would get muggy after a shower, the counter around the sink was lifting, the toilet drain was stained brown, the shower head was piercingly strong and the shower curtain was stained from mould on the edge. The only redeeming thing about the bathroom was the soap from the Rocky Mountain Soap Company. The bed was comfy as the mattress was fairly new. Each bed got 4 different types of pillows to choose from. The air conditioning was in the form of a oscillating desk fan which suited our needs. The room had drapes but no shears, and a slick new Sharp flat screen tv with some specialty channels. We used the indoor pool, hot tub and dry sauna which was in the men's change room. Again, all in need of a facelift: the walls in the pool room were dripping with condensation, the tile showed signs of aging, the sauna was full of carved in graffiti - but all still useable. The hotel is great for a school group, a family with teens, or people on a strict budget.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped here with my son for a skiing holiday. The rooms are ok and had 2 double beds, so great when we only get 2 singles in the UK. Rooms clean but could do with a revamp. It was cheap for Banff and if you had food it was good.
The location is on the edge of Banff so this means a good 10 min walk into the centre where all the bars and restaurants are.
Hot Pool was great, we used it most days after skiing, sit there, out doors in the hot pool watching the sun go down.
The Inn has a locker room but take a good lock for boards/skis as we didnt trust this bit - access is given to all, if you can be bothered I would take them to my room next time.

Ski bus picks up out side the Hotel - this is a major plus as its one of the first stops - use a hotel further in - don't expect a seat on the early buses.

So, whos it good for? young couples and same sex groups who are there for the skiing on a budget.
Yep, we would go back - my son lives in Olds and has been back, so that must say something

Room Tip: if you can, top or middle floor main building - as i say, a lot of groups use it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments.
The ski bus does stop right in front of the hotel providing ultimate convenience to get to the ski hills. The Inns of Banff also has a fully equipped ski rental shop for those guests requiring equipment or last minute accessories.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel has a lot going for it. Firstly, it's in one of the great resort towns in the world. The town's scenery and hospitality sector are second to none. And the people of Banff are first class. In another posting, I'll write about the wonderful restaurants. But, today, I'm sorry to say, I must report on one of the most horrifying experiences I've ever had around the world with a hotel. The rooms were poorly maintained and unkept. I had to be moved twice. The bathroom in the second room was filled with hair. Even the evening housekeeper was shocked. The wi-fi didn't work. There was a stench in both rooms that made the experience even worse. The hotel looks tired. The room furniture is old and seemingly in disrepair. The hotel front desk employees with rare exception were unhelpful. Saying "Sorry" (insert Canadian accent), does not clean the room. Each day there was a problem: lack of towels left. Carpets were not clean. Glasses in the bathroom not washed. There was always some kind of noise either outside or in the corridors. The maids used their speaker phones to communicate at 8 and 9am! There are far better choices. I learned that too late. When I'm back next year for the conference, I will not stay at Inns of Banff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Inns Of Banff? Share your experiences!