“Needs a re-furb. The Little things count.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inns Of Banff

You added Inns Of Banff to your Saves list
Inns Of Banff
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Cochrane, Canada
“Needs a re-furb. The Little things count.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited here for the first time. We arrived at our room, it had a musty smell and the ceiling had flaky paint . The next room we had was slightly better. We did have a nice view. Bathroom needs a revamp, needs new towels and the whole room needs a paint. Not sure if their hoover works properly and it didn't looked like they dusted either. We went down for breakfast. No milk and sugar on the table and when asked if everything was okay, I said the coffee tasted quite strong, the waitress took both mugs of coffee away and she didn't even ask my husband if everything was okay with his, and when he let her know that his was fine, she was very defensive and no apology and didn't offer an alternative. The buffet items were not hot and were over cooked. Service wasn't there. The receptionists were polite, however some of them don't know the times of when things open in the hotel. Our toilet was blocked and overflowed onto tiles and carpet, the handy man did come quickly to sort his out.
Instead of being in the way of the mess we decided to go to the hot tub outside, really needs a good clean, in the shower there was hair left lying and no water fountain to keep you hydrated. The changing room was small.
When we came back to the room, the towels that we put on the floor to soak up the water from the toilet were still there, the housemaid had given us new towels and toilet paper and cleaned our room, but didn't pick up the towels, so we phoned reception, the head housekeeper apologized and I commented it was inexcusable. Give them their due they did clean the floor and the carpet.
In my opinion they need to set some standards and keep them there, I can understand there are lots of people who work there temporarily, however we paid $120.00 for our room and breakfast was not included. The complimentary bus was great, so we didn't have to drive.
We have stayed in many hotels in the world and with Banff being a tourist place, I would have thought the standards would have been higher. When paying the bill the receptionist never asked us how our stay was. Won't be going there again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your detailed comments.
You are absolutely correct that the little things are integral in providing quality guest experiences. I will certainly use your review as a coaching guide to tweak some of the service shortfalls.
I am pleased that you did enjoy the wonderful views that our rooms offer and that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary bus service that our company provides.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here with a large group and with my family last summer. Front desk people were polite and check in was easy. We had a perfect view from our hotel room of cascade mountain. Rooms were older but clean. They are starting to renovate this hotel soon!! The cleaning staff at the hotel would always stop what they were doing and acknowledge us each time we met in the hallways. I thought that was very classy. The hotel pool in my opinion is the nicest view from a pool in Banff. There is a nice gift shop in this hotel as well that has items a lot less expensive than downtown banff. If you decide to take the banff transit, the bus stops right in front of the hotel and is less than a five minute ride to get downtown. Food was great at the Wildfire Grill at the hotel. I will stay here anytime!

• Stayed March 2013
BANFF, ALBERTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently took a little getaway to the town of Banff, and found this diamond in the rough.
The Hotel is a little dated but the size rooms, View's, and The Roof Top Outdoor Pool, and Now Live music on the weekends make this The Perfect Getaway.

Sunam (Cant be sure on the spelling), and Amanda Checked me in, and made me feel welcome right away, what great people, and an Asset to the Hotel, I am sure.

Upon check in, I was told they also offer Pet friendly room's, I declined the Pet friendly room but appreciated The Option, but did upgrade to the junior Suite.

While the rooms are a little dated the Amenities, Staff, And Views Make this the perfect way place to spend the Week-end.

I recommend this Hotel to Families, Friends, and people seeking that Romantic Getaway.

Room Tip: Upgrade from the stardard to The Mountain View two Queens, or better yet the Junior suite. Also Ask...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I was in the Banff area in Feb/March for business. I was given a suite on the 5th floor overlooking Banff Ave and the mountains - great view. The room was very comfortable with a huge bed, I'm sure 5 people could have slept in it :-) Front desk staff very polite and it was handy having the Bear's Den Pub in the basement for a pizza in the evenings when it was too cold to venture out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at The Inns of Banff. We stay there because we love the hot pool on the roof of the hotel. We had a partial view and could see some of the mountains. The room was average and was clean. Good enough really for what we paid. The second time we stayed we thought we would not pay for a partial view and that was a mistake. We ended up being in The Swiss Village. I felt like we were staying in a Hostel but with our own bathroom (and not a very nice one)! The walls were very thin and it sounded as if the people upstairs would fall through the ceiling. You also have to go outside of the hotel to get to the hot pool. So...it is definitely worth the 20$ per night to pay for at least a partial view upgrade!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Swiss Village is our budget accommodation and is very popular for this reason. Whenever possible, we offer guests the option to upgrade to our main buildings so they can take advantage of the fantastic views or are closer to our amazing outdoor hot pool.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

When we first arrived we had to up grade our room to actually even be in the main building. This was after I had requested to be near to the hot tub, I would have just assumed that someone would have clarified with me that the room I actually booked was in a completely separate building, far away from the hot tub. Once we paid extra to be in the main building we were surprised when we arrived outside our room to find that the rooms were still being cleaned. We were told that ours wasn't ready yet, but after we opened the door we saw that it had. It leaves a really strong impression when hotel staff aren't aware of what had been cleaned or not. It made us uneasy and unsure if in fact our room had been cleaned or if it was just a quick cover up job, because clearly the staff was behind (we arrived at 6pm!).

I don't appreciate being monitored when going into the hot tub to relax either. The one thing that I always book this hotel for is for the amazing views outside the hot tub. I usually don't even think about which hotel to book because I love the hot pool so much, I also ALWAYS recommend it to friends when they ask for my advice. However, that will change. Not being able to enjoy a mug of coffee in the morning in the hot tub takes away from the relaxation, and being constantly monitored makes me feel Juvenal. I will be looking for a new go to hotel when staying in Banff due to these unfortunate experiences.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Inns_of_Banff_GM, General Manager at Inns Of Banff, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

After the room attendant services a room, it remains unavailable until a supervisor checks the room. As you have suggested, your room may have been serviced and as such appeared to be ready, but not inspected. These checks and balances are vital to provide the highest standard of cleanliness.

We will monitor the hot pool during very busy times. This service allows guests to enjoy the wonderful views in a peaceful, relaxed setting. As we do not monitor the pools in the morning, I am confident that you could enjoy a coffee in the hot pool as long as you did not bring any glass into the area.
Innisfail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

As other reviews will tell you this is not a shiny new hotel but it met every expectation for us. We stayed for a night when a friend came to town. The price was great, the room was clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly. Covered parking was included and we LOVED the outdoor hot pool with the mountain view. Our room had a mountain view with a nice big balcony. Great location close to restaurants and shops. We are going back to Banff in March and will definitely book here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inns Of Banff? Share your experiences!