“Run Of The Mill” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Inns Of Banff

You added Inns Of Banff to your Saves list
Inns Of Banff
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Banff Ave, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1H8, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Run Of The Mill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

The staff were very friendly and had everything arranged for our group. The only downfall I have about this hotel is that the rooms were quite dated and shabby looking. A fresh coat of paint could definately go a long way.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Korean first
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed here as a group of friends on a ski trip booked through Kwik Travel. Flights, transfers and room for under £500 each with Inghams.

Good location on Banff Ave, about 25 minutes flat walk in to town, not sure why it took some other reviewers 40 mins! If you're really that adverse to walking there is a bus that stops outside the hotel.

Ski buses pick up and drop off from outside the hotel for Lake Louise, Mt Norquay and Nakiska, Sunshine Village from outside the Mount Royal in town (although I believe this will be back to picking up at the hotel next ski season).

Hotel has a secure room in the car park under the hotel to leave skis/snowboards. Hotel spread over various large blocks but is mostly covered by lifts.

Only gripe with the room is that we had a continuous humming noise in the room and a vibrating corridor wall. Didn't raise it at the time with the hotel as thought it was probably from the AC units on the roof which wouldn't be switched off anyway. Probably caused some disturbed sleep.

Room very decent size compared to UK and France, two queen beds in 'Superior' room,desk, table and chairs, balcony, en-suite, TV etc. Really useful fridge in the room for storing breakfast if you're on 'room only' and don't want to pay for breakfast. Room cleaned every day, a few dusty bits in the corners but nothing major. To be honest we were only in the room to sleep and shower etc, if you go all the way to Canada from the UK and spend so much time in the room you're inspecting every detail, you do really need to sort out your priorities.

Communal areas of the hotel a bit tired in places but not an issue when considering price paid and location. Had breakfast in the restaurant on one morning, cooked buffet with tea/coffee/juice and pancakes for $14.00, bar ok downstairs, good nachos.

The hotel has a hot tub outside on one end of the central block, nothing glam but serviceable. We all used it every day to ease our aching muscles from skiing. Beware though as there are a few double standards! There is a large sign stating that alcohol is not to be consumed in the hot tub area and another one listing all the other things that you're not meant to do, including consume a drink of any kind including water. This is hilarious as there is a large bin in the corner of this area which was almost full with empty drinks cans/bottles alcoholic and non.

Considering the temperature of the water I would have said that it would be sensible to have a bottle of water with you to prevent dehydration. If you have a midweek arrival it will be deserted and virtually unmonitored by the hotel staff who didn't really seem to be bothered. A few of our group took the occasional can of beer (being very careful to avoid glass bottles for the safety of peoples feet) and considering all of the group were of reasonable intelligence and able to consume one beer without any ill effects, didn't really consider this to be much of an issue. This seemed to be fine until Saturday evening, when the hot tub was very busy with young-ish locals. At this point there were three hotel staff monitoring very closely what was taken into this area, they even tried to confiscate a transparent sports bottle containing only water before it's owner had chance to take it back to his room! I wonder very much if higher levels of management or the owners are watching the cameras at the weekends...ha ha.

Anyway griping aside, on a cheap ski deal this place is very convenient. Staff, mostly are friendly and helpful and the Inghams rep was great. There is a good range of shopping on Banff high street and some very good restaurants and bars. Earls bar and restaurant on Wolf Street is definitely not to be missed and Bumpers Beef House directly across from the hotel is also good. The ski areas are amazingly different to Europe, very well maintained, friendly, helpful staff and very few queues for lifts.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

We just came back from a "Spring Break" trip to Banff with our 18, 20 & 22 year old sons. We rented the Executive Cottage at the Inns of Banff because our options were limited. We wanted a rental with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. (It has 5 bedrooms and 3 full baths) The house was roomy enough for us but was below our expectations. It was a bit "rustic" but it was clean and provided everything we needed including bus transportation to the ski slopes. The pictures on the web-site are good for marketing but look nicer than reality. We found the service at the Inns of Banff fair to poor. We had trouble getting our lift tickets on a couple of occasions and the maid service to our unit was spotty. I'm not actually sure what "service" we were supposed to get but the beds were only made 1 day during our week long stay. The Inns are about the farthest accommodations from the Town of Banff but still walkable.There is also a liquor store and Bumpers Restaurant across the street. (Bumpers is famous for it's slogan "If you haven't been to Bumpers you haven't been to Banff".) If we needed a large rental I'd stay here again but I'd certainly look at other options. We were told by several people that the Hidden Ridge resort was very nice. I don't think it would be as convenient to the town but it all depends on your needs.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dereham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We booked a last minute deal, £499 for flights & accom to Inns of Banff for our annual ski trip, so we came with very little expectation. This is not a luxe hotel however it has generous sized rooms and a fab outdoor hot tub that is great after a day on the piste. We had read about the busses being a pain with only the lake louise bus picking up directly from the hotel. However Lake Louise is without doubt the best resort and you get the most amazing scenery when travelling to it (50 mins) so we went to this resort for 4 of our 6 days. On the other days you get the 'Roam' bus (hotel gives you a free roam card for the duration of your stay, so no charge) from across the road from the hotel, take it 5 mins (if that) up the road, get off, cross the street and wait in the bus park for 10 mins or so before the Sunshine village bus comes along. We didn't find the bus anywhere near as awful as some of the reviews lead you to believe. The room was clean and a housekeeper cleaned every day. The hotel is a bit of a sprawl though and i could see if you are in one of the back blocks there is quite a bit of walking, stairs, crossovers & lifts; we asked for a room up high for the views and was put on the top floor (5) of block B - we found this was fine for us, if you book it would well be worth asking to be accommodated in block A or block B. otherwise it is a bit of a trapse-around. Everyone was very friendly and very nice, Ate in the rsturant one night when we were jet-lagged - wouldn't really recommend it though as it is a bit tiered, lacking atmosphere etc, just hop on ghe roam busand go down town to one of the many fab resturants (we highly recommend Earls! Trendy bar/ resturant with top notch food. Most expensive 12oz tenderloin steak was equivalent to £19.50 - Get off at Roam stop 7).
One thing to note is that you may experience difficulties withdrawing cash from ATM's around Banff. We couldn't withdraw as wse had mastercard/ visa cards but thenext day found out we had to go to the bank just befire the bridge as the 'convenience' ATM's do not connect with visa etc so they just refuse it, we found other travellers also experienced this problem and spent a day or so trying to figure it out, with lots of expensive calls to banks back home in the UK who simply said the issue was our end!
The hotel is just as you come into Banff, if you walk from the centre and can bear the freezing temperatures they get during the ski season it would take you about 10-15 mins. However just keep your rom timetable with you, hop on that and you will beon the main part of banff avenue within about 4 minutes. Remember on the way back to take route 1 - Sulphur Mountain as there are two routes and the other doesn't go anywhere near Inns of Banff on the way back.
So, if you get a cheap-ish deal, this hotel will exceed your expectations, its clean, maybe a bit outdated though, but an amazing outdoor hot tub with fantastic scenery which is open until 10. Dont be out off by the buses, they are easy to use & understand and are regular as clockwork. We were a bit hesitant about the distance this was from the center however this was no issue whatsoever during our stay as the buses are so easy and punctual.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I booked weekend at the Inns of Banff and had high expectations as we'd previously stayed at other Banff Lodging Co properties. Sadly, Inns of Banff didn't live up to our expectations. The hotel desperately needs to be renovated, and there were marks in the carpet and counter tops in our room. We were in B436 and had a Deluxe Mountain View room. Sadly, the balcony hadn't been shoveled so it was unusable. The beds looked a bit saggy, but were comfortable so at least we slept well.
Free wireless high speed internet access was supposed to be included in our room rate, but the internet connection was spotty so we mostly relied on our HSPA.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful so it wasn't a terrible experience, but there are much better hotels in Banff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

When I booked the deal was pay 3 nights get one free. When my confirmation arrived it indicated I was paying for 4 nights which I immediately questioned. I was told not to worry about it as it would be reconciled on arrival and the system had to have something in all the date boxes. When I checked in I was again given a paper which I unfortionately signed that showed I was being charged all 4 nights. I again questioned this to be told not to worry about it as it would probably correct itself when we checked out.When we checked out I was billed for all 4 nights and when I brought this to the clerks attention she quickly showed me that I had signed agreeing to the rate on check in. When I asked for a manager it was to early and she told me that she would check it out and call me later which she did. When she called me she explained that the discount was already applied to the daily rate which was bull because I checked the daily rate on the internet and there was no discount applied that could even come close to making up for the free night. (virtially paid the posted rate.) Because I had booked 2 rooms they managed to skim about 250.00 off me which in the larger scheme of things didn't break my holiday, its the misrepresentation that will prevent me from ever doing buisness with that company again. I fault myself somewhat for not seeing the signs as when we were checking in every single group in frount of us in line was having difficulties and some very heated debates about rooms and prices.As far as the room and services, we thought they were just OK for what we thought was the price.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

This was the biggest disappointment of a any hotel I have stayed in. We are very well traveled, although only traveling from Calgary we should have just drove home and stayed there. We were told the cheaper price of the Swiss village rooms were across a big parking lot and would have to walk across it to get to the pools and restaraunts. O.k. for an extra $20.00 we decided to stay in the building. Big mistake. We stayed in building C wich ended up being like the hotel california (you can check in but you can never leave) it was twice as far to walk to the main building than just walking across the parking lot. We were lost inside the hotel and couldn't find our way to the underground parking where we parked. "Just ask a staff member" you say, we did and they sent us the wrong way aaaaahhhhh, it almost made us miss our dinner reservation. The heat would not turn down in the room wich resulted in my son and husband getting sick. The rooms are very old and water stained ceilings. Not being offered any compensation by the front desk manager ( I wish some of them would stay in their own country the rudenss might be acceptable there) I was thankfull to not have been offered even a free stay there, I know we wouldn't have accepted it. The lounge is in the basement even though you are amongst the most beautiful scenery in the country. The buffet breakfast was so old and dry and a huge waste of money. I tried phoning the front dest to order breakfast for my sick husband and couldn't get through, glad it was only breakfast we needed. There was not one good thing about this place or the staff I can usually find something positive to say and think that I am not that picky but everyone else in line when checking out was screaming at the front desk staff. The french guy in particular was so rude, like I said go back to your own country and treat people like that. Here in Canada we say please and as far as your welcome we say that too. Good luck to anyone that tries to stay there, message me if you wish.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family