“Dirty, poor service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of High Country Inn

You added High Country Inn to your Saves list
High Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   419 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A7, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Dirty, poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have stayed in other 3 star hotels in Banff and this one does not deserve 3 stars. The common areas need a major deep cleaning. A major hallway had carpet duct-taped over the top. Our room had a smear of toothpaste on the vertical facing of the sink. We were at first sent to a room that was occupied, as was the person ahead of us at the desk. Back to a true 3 star next time

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We Stayed at the HIgh country Inn in mid November. We stayed in the honeymoon suite as it wasn't very much more cost wise, and it included a jacuzzi tub. We thought that a jacuzzi would be a great thing to have after a long day of touring Banff and the area. The room appeared clean, had a larger balcony than most of the other rooms and faced the back of the hotel. It was decent value for the price. However the electric fireplace seemed to not throw heat. It was able to turn on but didn't do anything to warm the room. Also there may have been some electrical problems with the jaccuzi and the bathroom. In the middle of the night the jets of the tub would turn on as well as the heat lamp. Overall I would certainly return. However, if I was looking for a place to actually Honeymoon, I would probably spend more and go elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

As our tour bus pulled up, all I could think was, "oh boy, a Best Western without the name Best Western." More like, "Oh boy, am I wrong."

After years of travelling to time-share resorts and staying in high-end two-bedroom suites, this was the first time I stayed in a hotel for a longer period of time. From the outside, it looks like a nice, average hotel. On the inside, you're greeted by a fireplace, a comfy lobby, and a friendly staff.

The rooms are modern (although the bathrooms could use a bit of an update, but I'm picky) and make you feel like you are staying in a higher-end facility than you are. Just a walk away from the shopping centre, the grocery store and the core of Banff, Alberta, this place is a great choice. I have now stayed here three times. All I can say against it is that the pool seems to have a lot of issues and is closed for maintenance or cleaning a lot.

Great hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't like street noise, choose a room facing away from Banff Avenue. Both sides of the h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
High_Country_Inn, General Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you sincerely for your review on our property. I always appreciate the feedback given by our guests and take their comments and concerns seriously. At the High Country Inn we are striving to provide a higher than expected standard of quality and excellence to you. As stated in previous responses, we are currently updating our hotel rooms with new lighting, new bathrooms and new vinyl. I'm truly excited to see our guest's reactions as we complete more and more rooms of this project.
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed at this property a decade ago in '03, and by chance I found myself passing through Banff again at this time, and when I looked this same property up again the price point was still competitive and I booked a room for one night. It remains a solid choice. Underground garage parking, rooms are clean and comfortable and "everything works" (TV/cable, plumbing, temperature). There's a pool and hot tub that we used back in '03, but I didn't happen to this time. Continental breakfast is nothing special but it gets the job done. Location is within walking distance of downtown shopping. Would certainly stay again, and recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

After having a horrible experience at Banff Aspen Lodge we called here to see if they had a room available for us and they did. The girl at the front desk was sweet enough to hold the room for us while we checked out of the other hotel and came to this one. We have stayed here before in the summer and it was really good. The breakfast is pretty good for a continental breakfast. The rooms are really nice and they have flat screen TV's with a shaw cable box. The rooms are spacious and every room has a nice view. I will definitely be coming back here!!

Room Tip: any room is good. even the first floor rooms are not right on ground level so you aren't right n...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
High_Country_Inn, General Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We always appreciate feedback whether its positive or negative. I'm very glad to hear that everything was pleasant throughout your stay with us and I hope to see you staying at the High Country Inn in the near future.
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I've stayed at many other hotels in Banff, but never the High Country. So over Thanksgiving, we checked into the High Country Inn.

My first impression of the hotel stayed with me throughout my stay, and that was of a property that was older, and tired looking. I could see that when it was newer and better run, it could have been a great hotel.

WIFI was included in the price of the room but apparently Banff was having issues with their reception, so the internet connection was spotty at best.

The room was average in every way from the amenities to the cleanliness.

A "deluxe" continental breakfast was provided in the morning but it was a big disappointment. It was at best, the kind of cheap "continental" breakfast that you would expect to find in a cheap motel. In my other hotel stays, when a hotel advertises "deluxe" continental breakfast, it would come with hot items eg. bacon and scrambled eggs. There were no hot items offered by the High Country, and the other continental selections were paltry. The only thing good about the breakfast, was the girl who was working in the breakfast room - she was very friendly and was very helpful when I asked for something.

Overall, this hotel does not have much going for it, especially when compared with the many other better hotels in Banff and Canmore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. In response to your comments I would like to mention that we will be updating our property in various ways over the winter. These improvements include completely redoing the bathrooms as well as upgrading the wallpaper and lighting in the rooms. I hope that you give us another chance in the future as we are working to make this property a great place to stay for everyone regardless of their expectations!
Banbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is one place that does what it says on the tin at an average price. It is situated on the main drag into town and is only a few minutes walk from the centre. On the night we stayed parking looked like it might be a problem in season as it was not full but all parking options had been taken up including the underground car park where we were. Rooms were spacious and clean and having the balcony was a nice touch, although the views onto someones back garden was not the best. Staff were not over helpful but at least did the job and although breakfast was included it was served in a type of "canteen" room with the premise it seemed to me of not lingering there.
However, at a cost of £67 for a nights stay for two inc breakfast ( continental), I can't complain too much.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to High Country Inn? Share your experiences!