“Clean but older; good value for the money in pricey Banff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of High Country Inn

You added High Country Inn to your Saves list
High Country Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   419 Banff Avenue, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A7, Canada   |
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Calgary, Canada
“Clean but older; good value for the money in pricey Banff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here over the St. Paddy's day weekend (March 16-17th, 2013).

It's an older hotel, but the rooms were clean and the beds were nice. The room had all expected amenities (big TV, fridge, microwave, coffee maker).

The hotel pool was nice and warm, and the double hot tubs meant there was always room to warm up!

The free continental breakfast had a good variety though no hot food items. The included underground parking was handy.

The location on the main street of Banff just a couple blocks away from all the shops, bars, and restaurants was also perfect.

My only complaint would be that the hallways echo and the doors are pretty thin; there were some 3am rowdies that woke us up. On the other hand, I'm guessing that wouldn't happen on non-St. Patrick's Day-weekends!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies with doors; some with sliders and screens; some have balconies that aren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
High_Country_Inn, Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hi Michael, thank you for your feedback, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the High Country Inn. We like hearing positive reviews about our beds (they are all new!), and the room cleanliness; our whole team have been working very hard to achieve a high standard that guests will be happy with. It is an older building, but we are in the process of starting renovations (tackling the bathrooms first). For breakfast we do offer one hot option (waffles); at this point we do not have space in our kitchen to be able to offer other hot options (but we are always brainstorming about what else we can do to add to our breakfast experience).
We would love to have you come stay with us again and enjoy beautiful Banff!

Kelly-Ann O'Toole
Assistant GM/Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the High Country Inn on March 30, 2013 in Banff. The lobby was plain but it had some comfortable leather furniture. The hallways were dated but clean. Our hotel room was very clean with a large flat screen tv, mini fridge and coffee maker. The beds were extremely comfortable with duvets. The bathroom looked like it had been partially renovated but the taps were reversed with the H tap being cold water and the C tap being hot water. The pool was okay and there were two hot tubs. There was a continental breakfast but we didn't try it. This is a good hotel for families with children.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Christian L, Front Office Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at the High Country Inn. We just changed all our beds to brand new ones, They are indeed very comfortable! We also just started renovations of all our bathrooms. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future, and that you'll enjoy our rejuvenated bathrooms.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I will start off by saying the only positive thing we experienced, was the location of the room.

I had bought a team buy deal for 79 dollars for the night, thought it was a good deal and why not try it out. I called in January to book our night in March. In February I called again to see if we could upgrade to the Honeymoon Suite. I was told by the guy on the phone that he couldn't locate my reservation and looks like it never was booked, he then booked me in, and said it would be 50 bucks extra for the honeymoon suite. I jumped on it and said yes please book me in, he even sent me email confirmaiton stating I was confirmed. I show up at the hotel to check in, and was told they overbooked the honeymoon suite and I couldn't have the room, even though I was booked into it long before. I was then told by a staff member they only had standard rooms, so we had to go into a standard.. I wouldn't have even booked this hotel for this weekend if I knew I wasn't going to be getting a Jacuzzi. When I explained my frustrations, I was told they had 2 hot tubs in the building not to worry.. great.. except I didn't bring a bathing suite because I expected a jacuzzi in my room. Nothing was done to rectify the sitation.

When we got to the room, I was still angry, but the room looked nice... until the partying started at night, and people were smoking pot in the hotel building, and slamming doors and coming in and out of rooms all night. You can hear everything at night, so it was very hard to sleep. Then in the morning we noticed blood on the bottom of the duvet cover.. gross!!! I also found a womans old sports bra lying around beside one of the chairs.

I would only recommend this hotel for a younger crowd, definitely don't stay here with a family or for a romantic weekend.

I also won't be coming to this hotel.. the purpose of offering team buys is to catch new business, and to keep people coming back. A lot of business forget this, and fail completely on the entire purpose of why you put a team buy up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a terrible stay at the High Country Inn, in Banff Alberta in October 2012 from Oct 25-28, 2012.

First to start with our arrival, we checked in and the front desk clerk Jeff took a look at our vehicle and said to pull around to the right of the hotel to pull into there underground parking. So we do that, are able to make it over half way thru the park, when there is a bit of a bump and we hit the roof of the parkade. We end up wrecking our roof rack of our new SUV. When we get out of our vehicle to inspect the area, there is a sign saying that the roof is low there but the sign is on the opposite side of our driving direction, we could have never seen it! We try and deal with the manager and owner, filing out a police report, and trying to work with the hotel to repair the damage. After months and months of hassle, they decline the claim not even willing pay for half of the damage stating we should have never entered into their parkade with our SUV. That was how our trip to the High Country inn started.

Next in order to get to our room, there were stairs, no elevator, we were traveling with an infant! The only thing they had at each set of stairs was a big piece of plywood we had to put down in order to take our stroller up or down or all of our luggage, this was not accommodating at all!

Next our rooms seemed ok at check in, old and out dated but ok! The temperature in the room seemed ok at first but while we were sleeping the temperature rose making it feel like we were in a sauna and we were traveling with an infant! We had to turn on the air conditioner on and open windows to cool the room down in the middle of October with snow outside! We let housekeeping know but nothing was done. Also there was blood spots on the sheets, which we showed housekeeping and asked for new sheets! The house keeper apologized when she saw this but nothing more was done other than changing the sheets.

The general manager Kurt was advised of all of these concerns, for we filled out a form of complaint when checking out. Nothing was followed up and no apologizes or anything was completed.

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Yes it was prime location in banff for walking distance but our experience was terrible! I love banff and would go back but I would stay at a different hotel on the strip, never staying at the high country inn again!

• Stayed October 2012
High_Country_Inn, Manager at High Country Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. It was unfortunate that your SUV roof rack was damaged in our underground parking, we expressed our sympathy in regards to this; but the decision of the claim was that of the insurance company (there was no police report filled out, only the exchange of insurance information). The judgement of a vehicles height should not to be put on our staff (we do not have a Jeff whom works here, but I spoke with the front desk agent that checked you in, and he stated he never goes and checks peoples vehicle height; nor did he check yours). We do have signs stating the maximum height posted at both entrances; where your roof rack was damaged was not due to a “bump”, it is a gradual incline to the next section of our parking. The discretion was yours to make as to if you should have parked there (being a new vehicle, and maybe not sure of the height, caution should have been used). Our maximum clearance is 6’ 1”; your vehicle was 6’ 3” before the addition of the roof rack.

We do have an elevator that goes from the underground parking to each floor up to the third; there is a height difference in the two sections (old and new) of the hotel where we do require a drop down ramp (mainly for our housekeeping carts).
When we spoke to you about how your stay was; you told us everything was good. We asked if there was anything we could assist you with (it was a raining and snowing and thought you may want some ideas of how to enjoy your visit). At no time were any complaints communicated to me when I spoke with you; I would have insured that issues with the room were rectified (I gave you my business card, and as well the GM’s).

It is unfortunate that you will not be a returning guest; we hope you come again to enjoy our beautiful town of Banff.

High Country Inn Management
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

When we first saw the hotel were we a little worried but as I say do not judge a book by its cover. The front desk were great. The room we had was large clean and very well prepared and decorated. The pool larger than most and with views up to the mountains. Two great hot pools and plentiful basic breakfast every morning. Underground free parking,and free WiFi. 5 min walk into town centre. All in all much, much better than we first thought

Room Tip: Try not to stay in rooms closest to the pool and breakfast room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your response; we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with the High Country Inn. We would love to have you stay with us again; summer and fall time in Banff is amazing!

Kelly-Ann O'Toole
Assistant General Manager
Red Deer, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so here's the thing, when you go to a hotel you hope the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. That's the number one thing. This hotel actually makes the mark. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how comfy your bed is, if the hotel doesn't / or can't fix the thermostat in your room and you can't sleep because its 30 degrees, then your night is done.
I called to tell them that the temp was brutally hot, they suggested I use the AC. Doesn't make much sense when it's winter out. And it's very noisy. They said they couldn't fix it. The AC was old and wasn't the type to let you sleep, it didn't qualify as white noise.

I was up at least 7 times in the night with the balcony door open to get get fresh cold air in. Why didn't I leave the door open you say? Well I have 2 kids, and it's Friday night in banff, so there are partiers down below in the parking lot, they are waking up the kids with their laughing and yelling and then there is the train and its loud horn as well. Every couple of hours.
So if the door is closed these sounds are not an issue, they muffle them enough, with the door open - very loud and kept startling my children out of their sleep.
So in an effort to help my family sleep, I kept opening
The door.
I did tell the front desk the next day. They didn't seem surprised, but scratched a little note down on a scribbler with many other things on it, (didn't seem important)
I also suggested they NOT rent the unit out until its fixed. They really didn't seem to care.
Unethical to take a persons money for a room they can not comfortably sleep in.
Quite frankly, they should have compensated me for this.
There are so many
Other options in banff, I will not go back unless they were to offer me a replacement night in a room that has temp control working. I'm fairly certain they knew of this problem and just rented out the room anyway. Disappointed.

As for the pool, it would have been average to good. Small pool but fun for the kids, 2 hot tubs, one with 100 and the other at 104. So these are great options. And the pool was a great temp. Not too cold. but the smell of chlorine was so high it was nauseating. Unusually high.
I worked in aquatics for many years, this was suspicious and certainly not a standard.

Lastly the continental was just that.
Toast, bagels, pastry type waffles- dry.
Cereals- fruit loops, rice crispies, corn flakes, granola, big bowl of yogurt, and apples, bananas.

Banff and Canmore have so many other options. You should go elsewhere, it seems that a good night sleep is not important To this hotel. For if it was they would have fixed the Problem or moved us, and if these options were not available, compensation would be next.
If you have to make sure the Room is functional before staying there , that's not your job as the customer who has paid.

• Stayed February 2013
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was very happy with our room, the cleanliness of the hotel and the staff. We were in one of the honeymoon suites and would definitely book and stay there again. The jacuzzi tub was HUGE, the kingsize bed was SUPER comfy and the room was maintained daily. Even when we had our "do no disturb" sign up until 3, then went out for a bit, we came back to a tidied room, which was unexpected as they were done for the day. The room had a mini fridge and a microwave, which were both utilized, and on diffenrent days I had asked for some cups and plates which were brought up almost immediately. The only thing that was a bit disappointing was the "deluxe" continental breakfast, with that name I had expected eggs and bacon. It is more just canteen style, basic items, but overall, satisfied all around :)

Room Tip: The honeymoon suites have a distorted glass window looking from the bed into the shower, so if you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to High Country Inn? Share your experiences!