“A little dated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

You added Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets to your Saves list
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Edmonton,Alberta
“A little dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We actually just left the hotel today and am now in Kelowna. We stayed 2 nights at the Douglas For and thought it was a little dated. It's definitely clean and the rooms have everything we need, but I actually wanted to stay in the chalets but got a room instead. However, the rooms have a really good view of the mountains.
My husband is allergic to cigarette smoke and he said that he can smell it in our room.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

First, it is located in beautiful Banff, so any location in Banff is good. I had a nice view (mountains and pine trees) from the balcony in my room.

With regard to check-in at the reception building for this property, I do have some suggestions: stop with handing-out various slips of paper with information that one might need during their stay; consolidate it all into a notebook that would be available in the room at the desk.

Another suggestion for reception is to have a simple kit to give guests, like me, whose suitcase has been lost in airport transit. When I asked about toothpaste and toothbrush until my lugggage arrived, I was told about a convenience store where I could purchase items. No items availalble for guests.

Last, I made several calls from my room in an effort to track my suitcase (never arrived during my two-day stay). I was charged for all calls, even though I explained that they all had to do with finding my suitcase.

To sum up my review of Douglas Fir, I think that they could be a little more organized and offer a few more ammenities when guest are paying $253 CAD per night.

SPRINGVIEW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My wife and I stayed at Douglas Fir in late june 2015. With the price we had to pay, we expected the accommodation to be top notch...not so much!
When we arrived, my wife wanted to go out on the patio to take a picture of the mountain view from the room. We had a terrible time getting the patio door closed again, so we could not use that door anymore. When we went to bed, we attempted to lock the night-latch on the room door. The bolt would not shut, so we had to leave the security lock open. The couch had lumpy and abused cushions on it. They were worse for wear. Glad we did not have to use it for extra sleeping. The kitchen cabinets were poor quality and made out of soft wood so fingernails of previous guests had gouged out holes behind the door handles. The cupboards were basically beat-up by previous abusive guests. We ended up with the "breakfast option" for the room which meant there was white bread, sugar cereal, a stick of butter, a carton of milk, a small carton of juice, a carton of half and half, bacon, and eggs in the room. I suppose it would be acceptable for persons who do not care about their health, but it was unpalatable for people who try to eat healthy. We drank the small carton of juice the first day and expected it to be replenished on the second day of our stay. Not so. We were told the breakfast option applied to the first day only, We still paid the same high price for the next day we stayed there though. We do not know if there was another option other than the "breakfast option". There was no jelly in the room. You could purchase it however for 50 cents each for one of those little square plastic containers most hotels provide with their free continental breakfasts. We went without.
We made inquiries about the room from hotel staff who were cleaning an adjacent room. They had no command of the English language and finally stumbled around and told us we would have to ask at the front desk. All-in-all, we found the facility to be very high-priced and in shabby shape. It is in bad need of a face lift. If it were a fishing cabin on a remote lake in the backwoods, it would probably be ok...for 20% of the price we had to pay. Would not even consider staying there again. Disappointing at best.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I love that you can fit a large group in one room. But the sofas and dinette need to be renovated badly. Kitchenette is great and I love the make your breakfast option. You get so much for $7. It's not within a walking distance to downtown but they do have a shuttle service. And lots of parking.
Outdoor hot tub is amazing and kids area. It would be nice if they maintain the in door one a little more. The indoor bath areas don't have soap in the showers and had only 2 towels.

Stayed July 2015
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here on the way home from our vacation in Seattle and was exhausted when we arrived. The Staff was super friendly and were quick to help us check in and provide many helpful recommendations for restaurants. there is a bus service that runs from the hotel to Banff to help with not worrying about parking! Pool and hot tubs and water slides perfect for the kids and in the evening there is quiet time for the hot tubs.. There is a BBQ for people as well to use. we had a loft room with 2 beds and a pull out couch .. with kitchenette and amazing view highly recommend !!I can not wait to go back .

Room Tip: Parkade for parking bigger lifted trucks will need to park outside
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My kids loved it. Rooms and buildings are dated, mainly clean though and quite comfortable. We stayed in a one bedroom condo (sleeps 4). No coffee filters. But there is coffee. Water slides were enjoyed very much by the kids as was the activity area. So weird the play zone is located in the basement/parking garage. Dingy for sure. But again, kids loved the structure and we're not fazed we were in the basement. Would stay here again while the kids are still young. We will be back. Once they outgrow the play zone we will not be back. Indoor pool was dirty first thing in the morning (yuck) but the change rooms were clean and lovely. Waterside opens at 4pm. Good to know as the kids were disappointed not to go again before checkout.

Room Tip: We would book closer to the pool.
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband, 7 year old and myself stayed the at Douglas Fir Resort the weekend of July 17th. We stayed in one of the condos (1 bedroom, full kitchen, bath and fold down California bed in the living room, wood burning fireplace, balcony). For the weekend, it was just over $500 so very reasonable for Banff. The condo was nice, older but everything was clean, kitchen well stocked with utensils/dishes etc. The indoor pool and outdoor hot tub were clean and lots of fun. We didn't try out the waterslides as my daughter wasn't really into them. The indoor play structure is amazing. Great for kids to play and relax after a day of hiking. The hotel also comes with free Wifi but it doesn't work well from the condos. If you stayed in the main building it would be fine. As well, the hotel supplies bus passes to get around Banff which is a huge positive since parking is a nightmare. It is also only 1.5km to the Tunnel Mountain hike (or run in my case!).

Room Tip: If you are traveling in the winter, I would stay in the main building so you don't have to walk...