“hockey tournament” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

You added Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets to your Saves list
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Invermere, Canada
“hockey tournament”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a great place for kids. The play zone, the water slide, and the games room keep the kids busy and away from screens. There was a hockey team staying there. The kids had no parental guidance so around 11pm we called front desk to enforce the rules of no hockey in the halls.Three phone calls later, there was no intervention, so my husband stepped out. The kids scattered, but continued to party. A bad sleep was had by all that were trying to sleep. And we were disappointed by the lack of action from the front desk. Other wise it was great. The kids enjoyed the water slides as my husband and I enjoyed the peaceful outdoor hot tub, with a view.
the signage around the resort is poor. So easy to get turned around and lost.

Room Tip: 319 had a beautiful mountain view and a huge, did I say huge deck?
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a great time with our family - the play area was clean, safe and fun. The hot tub was great to end the evening and the kids also enjoyed the water slide.

Check in was no problem and guest services we had no issues.

This was our second time here and is wonderful for families.

Only problem I seen was the amount of spiders we killed in the room. Wow they were fast!

We will be back!

Stayed November 2014
SASKATOON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked a room at this hotel on line for one night as I was going to Banff for business. I had booked it through Bookingbuddy.com. (Hotels.com) About 1 hour after booking I received a call that my business was going to be pushed back 1 day. I went a cancelled it with in an hour. I got confirmation that it was cancelled. I payed for it on paypal and noticed that I was still charged for the room. I was told that there was a no refund policy on the package. Never saw anything in there info about that. only that they had a policy of not with 24 hours of said booking. Not impressed at all. I spend at least 10 to 15 nights per year there on business. Will never book into Douglas Fir Resorts again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Calgary, AB
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We have stayed here about 12 times in the last 10 years.
We loved coming here because of the watersides & play place, the kitchenette and the fireplaces in each room.
I'm not sure that is enough to keep us coming back anymore.
The furniture is ripped, the carpets were ripped, the kitchen was missing a lot of it's promised supplies, the toiletries and in room coffee were terrible, the wifi did not work & there was no control over the watersides. Granted it was a "full house" according to staff (which probably accounts for the wifi not working), but the watersides were a gong show. There were probably 60+ teenage boys with no chaperones, or with terrible non-caring chaperones that were displaying dangerous and annoying behaviour - we actually had to leave because our little kids were going to get hurt. I understand they were just trying to have a good time - I was young once. BUT there should really be a limit to the amount of people allowed in at one time, and there really should be a staff member actually on sight if the place is full. There was one man trying to control everything, but he just kept popping his head in every once in a while. I"m surprised nothing broke and no one got hurt.
Considering what Douglas Fir charges these days, I think you can find a much better deal elsewhere.
Also, don't be fooled by the website. The promised outdoor hot tub is STILL not working (after probably 3+ years of construction).

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere unless you can get a discount!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Montrose, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in the one bedroom loft cabin. Was so cosy with the real fireplace. Even had a view of Rundle Mountain. Kids loved the water slide, pool and Playzone. Super handy to have a store and coin laundry on site. Highly recommend

• Stayed October 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My boyfriend booked this hotel in July of 2014. It was a surprise trip for our birthdays that he had planned for us. We got to the hotel at 2:30 a.m. And the front desk clerk was good. When we finally got to our room around 3:00 a.m., there was dirty towels hanging in the bathroom and the kitchen was very dirty. I brushed this off at first until The next morning when I stepped onto the carpet and sliced my foot open on a strip of rusty nails sticking out of the floor. The carpet was so worn that the strip of nails that held it on was the only thing left on the edge. I wrote this on the comment card and told the front desk staff in the morning, but they did not even blink at it. We did not get a discount or an apology and it did not seem like they were going to fix the issue by their reaction. I would not recommend this hotel to those travelling to banff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Airdrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2014

Having stayed here two years ago, we knew that the Douglas Fir Resort was dated in its decor. However, this time the unit was extremely unclean. There were small piles of dirt on the edges of the bedroom floor, the toilet had not been cleaned on the outside, and dead bugs had not been wiped off the walls. The first night we listened to our upstairs neighbours clunk around like elephants until almost midnight. Checkout took close to 20 minutes since we were using a gift certificate. Evidently, you must call the hotel direct to book your stay when using a gift certificate. Nowhere on the certificate or accompanying literature does it say this. Instead of just charging the remaining balance to our credit card and dealing with how to process this in their system after we left, the front desk clerk had us wait while she figured out what to do.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets? Share your experiences!