“Just returned from a perfect family holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

Save Saved
You added Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets to your Saves list
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #16 of 33 hotels in Banff
“Just returned from a perfect family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I've stayed at the hotel as a child many times and a few times since then. The rooms have been renovated nicely. I'm happy to introduce my kids to such a great place to stay. We enjoyed the loft chalet so much and had a lot of fun at the water slides. This year there are a new series of hot water pools outside, a great addition. We are already planning in our return. The only issues were dealt with right away but when I booked our stay they confirmed that there would be a breakfast delivered to our room as stated in the website and confirmed when I booked it but it wasn't, called the front desk and they said it wasn't included. If it wasn't my first stay I would have been really unhappy, the hotel was really empty which added to my frustration, it was in early June and not prime time. Should have delivered on there promise.

Stayed June 2014

702 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
Innisfail, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed here in April and we love it here. It was not our first time! The rooms have a very cozy laid back charm. There is a wood burning fireplace and you can smell this throughout the hotel. I love that smell though like your camping it's wonderful. There is a huge indoor play park for the kids which my kids (5 & 9 ) love to play in! Also included free for guests is the use of their waterslides. They are amazing so much stuff to keep the kids occupied even if the weather isn't agreeing with your plans. We stayed in a two bedroom pet friendly condo and it was sooo spacious. They all have fully stocked kitchenettes so if you choose to make your own meals everything you could want is there. The views are wonderful and I believe most/ all rooms come with a patio.
The hotel is not on the main route is is a bit away from Banff but there is free shuttle service and getting downtown is never a problem. It is also quieter at night time because of this an added bonus in my books. I highly recommend to all my friends!

• Stayed April 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

It has a pool area like other hotels with a sauna and hot tub. It also has the totally separate waterslide area that has a steam room, which is more like a rec facility than a standard hotel with noisy kids having fun. I have stayed here at least 20 times and wondered if some of the recent reviews reflected a downgrade in the facility. However my most recent stay in May 2014 was as good as the past stays. I have always stayed in the chalets so I am not very familiar with the rooms in the lodge.
Last stay, four adults stayed in a chalet and everyone had their own bed, one in the bedroom, one on the sofa in living room and two in the beds in the loft. Very comfortable even if you do not know the other people that well. Nice fireplace with firewood, kitchen facilities, and at as reasonable a price as any other hotel in Banff. It is not near the main part of town but is near the wildlife and you should always see elk or other animals near the hotel.
My opinion is that this place should be one of the higher rated, also considering that others that might be "nicer" will be much more expensive.

Room Tip: The chalets are great for large groups (four or more adults), I never stayed in the lodge.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

This was our second stay at the Douglas Fir. I cannot say enough how perfect it is for a young family. It rained a significant portion of our stay but between the play area and the pool kids were happy. The rooms could be modernized but my kids thought they were "cool". We will stay here again!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
De Winton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Our recent trip to Banff started off with a few problems at our accommodations where our room was not ready for our arrival, our safe was not working, our shades were broken and we had to walk through a snow drift to get to our cabin. The next day our room was un-prepared even though we were out until after 5:00 p.m. Overall our stay was unacceptable and not up to past experiences at this resort.

Room Tip: Book ahead and ensure that the room you are given has been cleaned and made ready for your arrival.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We are a family of 5 and with 3 boys this place was amazing. Fun water park which we spent most of our time at and a great play area while looking at an amazing view of mountains all around! A nice old school fire place in the room was terrific. Had a great weekend. Breakfast package was the way to go.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Yes the rooms are outdated but it was clean. The kitchen had all the tools you need to make simple meal, I like that we had a fool fridge and stove I have two teenagers (4 kids) they eat a lot! We had a room for 6 but if you count the sofa bead there is room for 8 so a lot of space. We loved the fire place the hotel provides the wood. There is also two watersides, two hot tubs, a pool, game room and a grocery store right in the resort! Well go back the kids had a grate time and for us it was what mater the most.

Room Tip: Don't look at the decor it is fun with kids!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

Address: 525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada
Location: Canada > Alberta > Canadian Rockies > Banff National Park > Banff
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#10 Family Hotel in Banff
#16 Romantic Hotel in Banff
Hotel Class:3 star — Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets 3*
Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 BRAND NEW giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Free WiFi and internet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
Douglas Fir Banff

If you own or manage Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.