“Lock up the wife and children” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

You added Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets to your Saves list
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Lock up the wife and children”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent a week at this hotel and would advise everyone to stay away. Two days before we were to leave one of the housekeeping staff went into our room and took an iPad. When we contacted security they were disinterested at best. they finally came and used a machine that told them what key had opened the door. They finally called the police several hours later. They said it took them that long to figure out which key opened the door. Surprise! it was a master housekeeping key. That is about as far as they went. In speaking with the RCMP constable who was assigned to the case he said the hotel was less than cooperative. The hotel kept saying that the key was only used to clean the room. We showed them that we were there when the room was cleaned and that someone went in after we left. I should note that until we left 2 days later no one offered an apology until we finally talked to who was in charge. It should be noted that we were given the name of someone in charge who repeatedly ignored our voicemails. Upon leaving we were given a discount on our bill but it wasn't even close to what replacing the iPad will cost. In speaking since with the Constable he hotel still wasn't very helpful in his investigation. If you should use this hotel DO NOT leave anything of value in your room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Korean first
San Ramon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

No major complaints or excitement about this place. It has a two-slide water park for the kids, and an okay gym and indoor pool. It is not walking distance to any restaurants, but it's a very short drive to downtown Banff. We were located in the main lodge, so it's possible that one of the other buildings might have had more to offer. Don't rule this place out if higher-rated places are booked up.

Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The resort's webpage states that the extra charge for pets is "We pay special attention to our pet friendly rooms. Therefore, there is a pet charge of $25.00 per day per dog (all taxes included), to cover additional cleaning charges." REALLY??

We entered our room to very dirty floors, and a couch full of old chips, cheezies and popcorn. There was dirt in the tub. That was the plainly obvious stuff. (the hairdryer cord - gross - covered in old toothpaste and grunge) I brought the floors / couch to front desk attention and we went out for a few hours. On return, the couch had been cleaned up but the floors were still dirty. Does this resort not own a decent vaccuum so that they can pay "special attention" to their pet friendly rooms? I resented paying the $25/day for my non-shedding pup.

Another disappointment, was I woke one morning to a flat tire. We had to get to a booked excursion. I went to the front desk and explained the situation and that we had to get to Canmore for our booking - could someone give me hand changing the tire? Their response was to look up a local garage number and hand it to me on a piece of paper.

Thanks ... ? That should only take at least an hour to get someone up here...

Were I behind the desk, I would have said, "What's the name of your tour company? I'll give them a call and let them know what's happened for you and see if it's alright if you're a little late. I'll get ahold of our maintenance guy on site here and see if he can give you a hand."

Instead, I went out and flagged down a fellow resort resident who was gracious enough to lend a hand. (the resort maintenance guy to his credit spotted us changing the tire and offered to lend a hand, but we were nearly done)

So ... for the $200 less it was to stay here for the 3 nights, I'd stay elsewhere. You can pay to go to their waterslides as a family if you want to anyway if not staying there.

Room Tip: Inspect it before you accept it.
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August and I was really not impressed. We stayed in the one bedroom loft. I will say that there were 3 queen beds and that they were comfortable. Our place smelled very smoky from the log fireplace. At one point one of the other people in the unit must have had a fire as well and the smell was very strong. It was dirty. I picked up some garbage that was laying beside the bed and set it on the night table, and there it stayed for our entire visit. The kitchen seating was all torn up and the counters were missing pieces. We won't be back!!

Drumheller
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a great place to spend your January vacation, the younger members go skiing and the grandmas go to the spa. There is everything and anything you need at this resort: lovely rooms, chalets, 2 swimming pools, a kids play room, underground parking, attached store, and a bus service to the door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have stayed at the Douglas Fir several times with the kids. We normally just spend a night or two there but have enjoyed all our stays. The hotel is not "new" and certainly could use some updating but we've never had any problems there. The play area is fantastic (though make sure to give hands a good scrub after playing - we had a bad round of flu from here).

The staff have always been friendly and accommodating and rooms are comfortable enough. I love the room options available when travelling with a family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I picked this place because it was outside of town and would be quieter. That was about the only good.

I feel the need to start with the injury my son had. Upon check in the receptionist told us the water slides were down for repair but would be started again soon. After we unloaded in our room my husband took my 2 boys to the water slides to play while I laid down. About an hour later I get a frantic knock at the door from my oldest telling me my husband needed help with my younger son whom had something stuck in his foot from the pool. I went to the front desk and they knew nothing about it but took me to the slide area. My son was sitting behind the desk with 3 staffers looking on. He had an unknown material sticking out of his foot and it was bleeding. My son said his foot slid on the bottom of the pool after going down the water slide and he felt the sting. My husband ran to him as he was bawling. He had tried to pull out the thing sticking out with his hands and couldn't. After much debate I was given a tweezers and some antiseptic wipes. I held him down while my husband pulled it out. It was a metal piece about an inch long and as big around as a large sewing needle. It was sticking in his foot probably 1/2 inch. I was handed band aids and sent on my way. The front desk man did fill out a paper to give to maintenance on the matter. They were still letting people sign in and never evacuated the pool. It was as if it was no big deal. We never got a phone call or email asking how he was doing. Even more disappointing was when we checked out the same girl was working and never asked how he was doing or even apologized for the incident. Where we live my room would have been refunded and my stay would have been free. Not even a discount was offered. Very disappointing.

Besides that...
Our room was very dirty. It had a ratty couch that was covered in dog hair of all lengths and colors. The kids tried to flip the cushion and there was trash under the cushions. We laid bathroom towels out so we could sit down. There was a glade freshener in the entrance that was supposed to make it smell better. Dead bugs in the window ledges the size of nickels. The Murphy bed was maybe a double mattress. Not meant for 2 people. The bathroom was newly done and very clean or I would have left. Everything at this place was so spread out. Even getting ice we had to go over several buildings.

Overall a very disappointing stay. I am sending a comment card to them too.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets? Share your experiences!