“Perfect for Families” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets

You added Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets to your Saves list
Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   525 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B2, Canada   |
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Nanjing, China
“Perfect for Families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Douglas Fir was a great family hotel with plenty of things to do in the evening to burn off the kids last bit of energy.
We stayed in a 1 bedroom w/ loft and loved it. The room had a real mountain ski resort feel to it. There's also a grocery store attached to the hotel so any odds and ins that you need can be picked up without leaving the property.
Any time we're back in Banff we'll definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for your review, I’m pleased to hear how wonderful your stay was with us. Our suites and cabins are the perfect mountain getaway for many and our on-site grocery store provides convenience for the last minute bits and pieces you may have forgotten. We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We had fun at the kid zone and pool, although the pool hours were less than what we anticipated. My problem was with the cleanliness of our room. I moved the bed to accommodate my playpen and revealed a dirt/hair elastic/mess pile against the wall. No big deal, I don't think hotels move the beds to vaccuum so I was not concerned. Then the mes stayed there the whole time! I didn't let my child play in there and felt grossed out. I don't know what the cleaning crew did when they came, but I had to call and ask for towels.

The place was FREEZING when we arrived and even with the heat cranked and the fire on, it took hours to heat up. Not a big deal, unless you have a kid who needs to nap in the bedroom where there are no heat vents.

Other than that we had a great time. My sister had the unit beside us and her dishwasher didn't work. I wrote the hotel to express my concerns and never heard back. I think that frustrated me more than the mess.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BanffFamilyHotel, Director of Sales at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear that our level of cleanliness was not up to our usual exceptional standards. We take pride in our resort and this time it seems we missed the mark. I would also like to apologise that your comments regarding your stay were not responded to. We are following up with the appropriate departments as to why this happened.
It is great news that your enjoyed your stay regardless of the outstanding issues and I would love to welcome you back to the Douglas Fir Resort in the future so we can make you feel more at home. Please feel free to contact me directly as I’d like to follow up with you in person.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Clean, Quiet Studio Room with almost everything needed in the kitchen with pots and frying pans (only 2 mixing bowls but thats just means hubby washes them between uses + we brought our own Roaster), even has a bottle opener and cork screw for the wine. Loved that wood burning fireplace in the room. Pool, hot tub and fitness room were great.

We will be back again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for your review. I’m pleased to hear how at home you felt in our Studio Suite. It’s great that you found our fully equipped kitchens so convenient when it came to preparing a family meal and saves you money from going to restaurants every night. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012 via mobile

We brought our 2 grandchildren up to Banff for a ski weekend and stayed at the Douglas Fir Resort. We have stayed with them there before but this time we booked a loft unit in the lodge. This was a good call as the kids did not have to go outside to get to the waterslide. It was convienient to have a half bath on the upper loft level. I booked enough in advance that we got the early bird special discount which was a decent savings. The Douglas Fir Resort is a great family resort and we will continue to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent ski weekend with us! It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay and made great use of our Early Bird discount on your ski package. We have a number of great promotions throughout the year to help you save. You can stay connected to us through our Facebook, Twitter and e-newsletter to be the first to know when we have specials available. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Quite a nice resort - not a dazzle you type place but very clean and well appointed. Great spot for kids. We had the one bedroom condo. Rooms were clean, applliances clean and functional, kitchen well equipped - everything we needed to cook our meals. Staff were friendly and helpful. Plus the waterslides and playzone was a hit with my 6 year old son.

My second time staying at Douglas Fir and I would definitely stay again if I have the opportunity to spend more time in Banff.

Room Tip: IF you have small kids, consider getting a room in the main lodge as you won't have to go outsid...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. You sound like you made great use of our fully equipped kitchens and that our Playzone and waterslides lived up to your son’s expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Douglas Fir Resort in the future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Recently stayed here for the first time for acouple of nights. It was soooo good. Upon arriving at Front Desk I was greeted by the lovely Front Desk staff, they were so friendly and helpful. I arrived alittle earlier so I could check out the waterslides and playzone and gym for the kids and everything which would kill time, but to my surprise I was instantly checked in! All the girls were so helpful with giving directions in Banff, they seemed to know the area like a tour guide which was nice. It was a privledge to be checked in by Wenke, she seemed to friendly and really wanting to help us in any way possible.
I had a little baby which needed a good sleep after such a long time driving which was a big relief as well!
I was pleased to say I arrived at my room TIP (Studio, 319) - to become surprised by the BEST VIEW EVER of the mountain scenery. Overall, used all the amenities and they provided instant help whenever an issue occurred with personal service. Its very roomy, well equiped and plenty of things to do to keep the kids happy. They didnt want to leave! Definetly return if I ever come back to Banff!

Chungy out!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Chungy, thank you so much for your kind words on your recent stay. It’s wonderful to know that our staff made you feel so welcome and went above and beyond your expectations to ensure your stay was a great one. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to our staff. We certainly have some astounding mountain vistas from our rooms from our beautiful location on Tunnel Mt,. it’s great to hear how much you enjoyed the view from your hotel in Banff! You can stay connected with us with our Facebook and Twitter pages for our latest on specials!
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We're just back from a great weekend (Saturday, Sunday) at the Douglas Fir. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. We love being able to send the kids to bed in their bedroom while we relax for a while longer in the living room. The Murphy bed was very comfy, much more than sofa-beds tend to be. We brought breakfast fixings from home so had a great leisurely start to each day.

The kids spent a great deal of time playing in the play area and we all enjoyed guest pool. The waterslides were quite busy on Saturday, and the kids decided simply romping in the regular pool was much more fun. The staff were very friendly as they plowed out the parking lot, helped find a charger for the cell phone, and found information for us.

Closest thing to a complaint would be that the shower in the pool change room sprayed every which way but on us... oh and they couldn't arrange a bigger blizzard that would have forced us to stay an extra day!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
BanffFamilyHotel, Manager at Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are extremely please everyone had a wonderful time at the Douglas Fir Resort. Our One Bedroom Condo’s are perfect for parents with little ones, as they can send them off to bed in the private bedroom and still enjoy some quite time together. As for the blizzard you ordered, our apologies as it arrived just a couple of days after your stay! We hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

Been to Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets? Share your experiences!