“Great property, Will return in the again for future ski vacations in Banff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charlton's Cedar Court

You added Charlton's Cedar Court to your Saves list
Charlton's Cedar Court
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Banff Ave., Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Toronto, Canada
“Great property, Will return in the again for future ski vacations in Banff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

This property exceeded my expectations. I had read some of the reviews of Charlton's and had paid careful attention to both positive and negative comments.

After my stay, I would fall decisively into the positive category. I paid C$85 per night for three weeknights in February for what the hotel called a "deluxe room", that came with two queen beds.

I'd categorize Charlton's as a motel/hotel hybrid. As a traveling skier, I appreciated the ready access to my car, while also appreciating the clean, updated room, modern washroom, and on-site facilities which included an indoor steam room, hot tub, and pool. Most motels don't have all three (many have none of the 3), hence, my categorization of Charlton's as a hybrid motel/hotel.

I used Charlton's as a home base for a mini ski break in Banff National Park. I can't comment on Charlton's as a place to stay in the summer months. Comments are based on my experience in Banff's off season (winter).

For $86 per night, I felt the hotel represented excellent value. The room was equipped with a small fridge, which I appreciated because it enabled me to store milk, juice, peanut butter, vegetables, and some other basics.

I appreciated the amenities which included two plush bathrobes, lip balm (which is essential in the dry February in Banff), etc. The free, covered parking on-site was very beneficial. There was a secure storage building to store my skis overnight.

The bathroom was thoroughly modern with a large, deep soaker bathtub, a modern vanity, and a stand-up glass enclosed shower.

The room was very clean and it seemed obvious that housekeeping paid careful attention to cleanliness.

What most surprised me was the bedding. The duvet cover was soft, plush, and completely unexpected from a hotel at this price point. I noticed this and would say this was where my expectations were most exceeded. The bed was very comfortable and it seemed the hotel had invested in bed pillow-tops, which we now expect from hotels in the Marriott/Hilton/Sheraton/Westin category.

One clue to Charlton's good performance (in my opinion) is what appeared to be an affiliation with the Delta Royal Canadian Hotel a few hotels down from Charlton.

Weather for my trip was quite warm for February, ranging from 0C to 7C. The walk into Banff village was a reasonable 7 minutes.

One tip: at the end of a ski day, loosen those joints up by heading up to the Banff upper hot springs to bathe in the sulfur mineral waters. It's a 8-10 minute drive from the hotel that takes you through the Banff village and left after you go over the bridge. It costs about C$7. Towels are extra. The water is maintained at a constant 39C.

I plan to return to Banff every year or so for a mini ski break and I will use Charlton's as my home base again. For the price, I couldn't find anything else that beat this value for the quality and amenities included.

• Liked — Cleanliness, small fridge in room, free wi-fi wireless internet, bed, duvet cover, bathrobes
  • Disliked — Hot tub could have been warmer - front desk staff member didn't know how to increase water temperature
  • Stayed February 2009
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

We got a great rate on Priceline for a 3-night stay over Christmas, and were very happy with our choice! Our loft room was ready for us when we arrived 2 hours before check-in time and the staff was helpful and pleasant throughout our stay.

This is a fairly no-frills place, but very clean and well maintained. The bathroom in our loft seemed like it had been recently updated, with a spacious shower with double glass doors and nice tiling. The fireplace was awesome for the cold Banff winter weather! Our room also had a mini-fridge which was handy. There was lots of space to spread out and make ourselves at home.

It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to walk into all the action of the town, or a cheap cab ride (the hotel staff called one for us on the nights when it was too cold to walk!)

Other posters mentioned the loft being too hot, and this is something I would definitely keep in mind if visiting in the summer (and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars). We had to turn the thermostat way down at night to stay comfortable, but it wasn't a big deal for us.

We didn't have any trouble with noise, so I can't speak to that complaint - all I can say is that I'm a light sleeper, and our stay was very peaceful!

• Liked — Cozy room and fireplace, location
  • Disliked — Tempurature control problems
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Queensland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Our loft room with a fireplace was quite nice, until our neighbours Beavis and Butthead got back to their room. The walls are paper thin as you hear everything in the adjoining rooms. And I do mean everything. We were charmed by this pair of morons shouting, swearing, farting and explaining their bodily functions (hilarious apparently) all night. If you're after this entertainment then this is the place for you. Also, it's quite a long walk into town if, like us, you're there in winter with the snow, ice and cold winds.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BanffManagement, Director of Sales at Charlton's Cedar Court, responded to this review, January 20, 2009
Good day,

We apologize for your neighbors as we do not encourage this type of behavior in our property. Being in the hospitality industry for 60 years guest comfort is of the upmost importance to us. We hope that you contacted our security team to give them a warning and deal with the situation for you.

Again we hopt that you accept our sincerest apologies from the Charlton's and the management team here at Charlton's Cedar Court.
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We booked this "motel" based on partly the reviews on Trip Advisor, and looking at pictures etc on their website, we were not impressed and checked out after one night stay. First this is not a hotel, it's a motel and maybe it's our fault for not inquiring for more information and doing our research but I myself prefer a place to stay that has secure parking and a place with more of a hotel feel. We were there mid summer and it was by no means very hot in Banff when we were there, but we found our room which was a loft suite very stuffy and humid. Our room was also very tiny, for two people it was difficult to find places for our luggage, as the stairs to the loft were very narrow and it was hard to get a big case up there. Also it is kind of old and dated, fine if you like that thing but we didn't .
On check in and check out the front desk staff was not friendly at all just enough to get by I guess but I found it curious when we cancelled our last night know one inquired as to why we were leaving at all when we clearly expressed our disappointment. Personally I would stay a little closer to the city core where there are more stores and things to do, as we did the second evening.

• Liked — Honestly noting at all, that's why we checked out early
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
I apologize for your disappointment in your recent stay at the Charlton's Cedar Court. Being a 40 year old building unfortunately has its challenges in keeping up to date and modern. Our owners put a lot of effort though into the interior and the exterior of the building with the limited space we have to offer to make it comfortable and stylish. Being located in a National Park also comes with the challenge of not being able to expand or build. I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your trip in Banff. If you are ever interested in staying with us again we do have our sister property the Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge which is our newest property. It is a 41/2 star resort and is a hotel, which sounds like it would have met your needs better.

Cheryl Hurlbut
Director of Sales
Charlton's Cedar Court and Delta Banff Royal Canadian Lodge
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

This hotel/two story motel was great. I have a hard time sleeping in most hotels either because my kids are so close or because the bed is uncomfortable. This hotel had our kids in a seperate room with each having their own bed. We had a small kitchen between our room and theirs making it even better. We had cereal and bagels for breakfast in the room before heading out to ski. Our beds were very comfy and our room quiet. It is not new but it is still much better then other hotels we have stayed at on Banff Ave. The hot tub and steam room were fun but the pool was very cold.

• Liked — Two rooms and good beds
  • Disliked — Small and old TV.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Warks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

This is a good family friendly hotel. We stayed in a 'Kitchenette Suite' which has two bedrooms (1 queen and 1 twin) which are separated by a small kitchen/dining area. Its ideal accommodation for families who are fed up of sharing the same bedroom! The hotel has an excellent pool / hot tub / steam room. There is no restuarant, but the kitchenette means you can self cater or you can order a continental breakfast to be delivered to your room. Complimentary coffee/cookies in the lounge area is a nice touch. The covered parking is convenient and spacious and free. The hotel is located a little way out of the town centre , but it is still within walking distance. Would have no hesitation in recommending this as a good place to stay in Banff.

Stayed August 2008
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

We stayed at Charlton's Cedar Court for 3 nights in the middle of September in glorious weather. We found the hotel and free parking underneath was superb. Staff at the reception were so friendly and helpful. We had a double room on the first floor which was very well furnished and spotlessly clean and a very comfy bed. The very large bathroom had a full size bath plus a large walk-in shower. For a resort town like Banff we were amazed at how quiet and peaceful the hotel was. We enjoyed our coffee and cookies each morning in the small area near reception. Internet was available for a small charge. After wonderful days' sightseeing in the area it was great to come back to the pool and jazuzzi. As other guests have said, it is about a 10 minute stroll to the resort centre with shops and cafes but we really enjoyed this walk in beautiful weather. Would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Banff. We could easily have stayed longer as there was so much to do.

• Liked — Location and quality of accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Charlton's Cedar Court? Share your experiences!