“Charming location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charlton's Cedar Court

Save Saved
You added Charlton's Cedar Court to your Saves list
Charlton's Cedar Court
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   513 Banff Ave., Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1B4, Canada   |
Ranked #20 of 33 hotels in Banff
Sudbury, Canada
“Charming location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I decided to stay in a loft which was perfect for anyone who needs/wants to stay in Banff for any reason. It was quite cold on the bottom floor all night near the door to outside but heat rises and the loft was cozy. It reminded me of our old family cottage as kids. Everything was in walking distance and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The pool/whirlpool/steam room were awesome after being outside in the cold all day, its was perfect. I can't wait for my next business trip!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

477 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Edson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

pleasant staff, clean, nice amenities, would stay again. wouldn't stay in loft again as I didn't like the stairs to the room, or having the bathroom on the lower floor. took a bit to get the heater/cooler working and the light on it to stop flashing, all was good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I had read some bad reviews of this hotel but wanted to decide for myself - bad idea! The customer service was ridiculous. As we were trying to decifer why our full stay was charged to our visa night one with out permission (we were planning on paying debit), another lady was attempting to check-in to her room which she booked through expedia. She had her confirmation number as well as the expedia rep on the phone and the hotel still couldn't figure out what went wrong. After I explained that we wanted to pay for our hotel with debit and needed the charges reveresed on the Visa(minus the safety deposit of course), the attendant was extremely rude and called us liers, he wouldn't help us at all. To top it all off there was dead bugs in the lamps in the rooms and on the ceiling as well as a poorly cleaned carpet that had no floor mat for wet shoes. This was the one time we ventured away from our faithful hotel (Rundlestone - best ever) because there were no vacancies as we planned our vacation spur of the moment. What a dissapointment. Will never book nor recommend that hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
BanffManagement, Manager at Charlton's Cedar Court, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Of course your comments are a cause of concern to us.

It is routine when you check in for us to require a "pre-authorization" on a credit card for the room charges and a incidental expenses that may occur. This is standard practice for most hotels. Often the credit card company will say that it is a "charge" on your card rather than seeing it as an authorization. At check out, we can accept a debit card for payment but the authorization on the credit card does not clear for several business days. I am sorry that this process was unclear as we could have secured a cash deposit at check in and refunded it to you upon your departure. We have worked with our Front Desk Agents to have them explain the procedure at check in.

I realize that this is not going to turn around the bad experience you had. I do hope it helps clarify what happens during the check in process for our future guests.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel was OK... I have stayed in better hotels in Banff / Canmore so it's really hard to compare this to them. First of all what we liked... free breakfast (enoght choices for us), the location, not in town so much to hear the noise but close enough to walk to the main village. They had nice pillows and fireplace was good too. The pool and steam was very nice but you have to go outside to get to them from your room. The staff were friendly BUT not very knowledgeable (asked 2 people and neither of them knew where the ice machine was, REALLY?) and sometimes I felt like I was in their way and not in my way. I did not like the bed it was hard. The hotel felt and looked old, needs some renovations, they've done some cosmetic reno's but that's about it. People kept complaining about the room temp. but we figured it out by ourselves (although the air conditioner kept making sounds all night). I wasn't really disappointed but I wasn't really thrilled about the hotel either... it was ok...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ridgeway, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Overall a decent hotel and good service but as with everything in Banff, premium pricing. What left a very sour note on checkout was the fact that they still charge $0.60 per local or 1-800 call for using the phone in the room. This seems very petty and cheap, to nickel and dime your guests an extra $1.80 on a $450 bill.

I travel extensively and absolutely no-one charges for the use of the room phone for local or 1-800 calling.

Also charge extra fees for more than two people in the room even if you are already in a room that sleeps four. My son and fiancee joined me for one of a two night stay and they charged $12 extra for the third person. I was alone the second night, that means two people per night over the stay but still there was a charge.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed here during a last minute weekend in Banff. While searching for rooms online, this seemed like the best deal (guaranteed king bed, fireplace, etc) but when I went to book it, it was suddenly sold out. Fortunately I checked the hotel website and was able to book the room that way, so I would definitely recommend trying that before anything else.

Having been to Banff many times, I was familiar with this hotel and the location. We were checked in quickly by the very friendly front desk staff, and left to navigate the way to our room from there. As it is the dead of winter at the moment, I really didn’t like the fact that the room access is all outdoors, because our room was on the far side of the property (no view, but plenty of privacy). The main (living) room is quite small, with a fireplace, loveseat and table, TV, bar area, and bathroom. There was no tub in the bathroom which wasn’t a big deal, but the lighting was terrible. Up the winding staircase was a spacious bedroom with a king size bed and TV. We noticed it was extremely hot up there, but while trying to turn the heat down, we inadvertently turned the downstairs into a freezer. Not fun during middle of the night bathroom runs! The bed and pillows were very clean and comfortable, no issues at all.

Our stay included a complimentary continental breakfast, which was great. Mostly cold items like fruit, cereal, muffins, and juice - perfect to tide you over for a few hours. We skipped the Hot Springs and instead enjoyed the pool and hot tub at the hotel - it was very clean and not too busy - we loved it. The hotel was full but fortunately it was quiet, we had a wonderful stay and we felt we definitely got what we paid for. The staff also accommodated our late check-out with no problems.

I probably wouldn’t stay here again, just because I prefer a different style of hotel, but it met our needs and we had no complaints. The fireplace loft suite was perfect for 2 - such a cute little room - but would probably be a little cramped to accommodate more. All in all it was a great stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Leduc, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked a king room with the idea our room would match what was shown on the website ( nice room king bed big bathroom with large tub and separate shower etc). The room we walked into was a king bed but freezing cold due to the gap in the door which we could see through and we could hear everything that went on over the entire property. The room was dark and dingy with a tiny bathroom no tub and a shower that had tiny gross tiles. There was also a constant whirring sound coming from what we think was something mechanical running the building but very loud and interrupted sleep. The staff was nice but that sure wasn't enough to make us stay the second night.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Charlton's Cedar Court? Share your experiences!