“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bow View Lodge

You added Bow View Lodge to your Saves list
Bow View Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 Bow Avenue | Box 339, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada   |
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Banff
Birmingham
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

They are in a convenient location, and the staff was very friendly. The room was clean, but the furnishings were rather dated. They provided a small refrigerator, however there was no microwave. Television was at least 10-15 years old. No air conditioning in the rooms. We were part of a tour group and did not pick this as our lodging location. There are probably better choices available.

1 Thank dj1766

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

You have everything you need here. Nice enough room, very clean, river view, near town ( restaurants etc), access to a pool from sister hotel and restaurant.
Downside : bit pricey for a motel and pool full of screaming kids til 9.00 pm. So stay away til then.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank JimGer
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We just recently completed our second stay in this hotel in the popular resort town of Banff.
The location on the river is unique and there is also a walking path along the river. Close to
restaurants, shops, and the Safeway market. We would definitely chose this hotel for any
return to Banff.

Room Tip: Although more expensive the view of the river is a must, so ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Paul P
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

After reviewing quite a few accommodation options in and around Banff, my wife and I decided to give Bow View Lodge a shot. We were on a budget and it's always tough to find the 'best bang for buck'. Bow View reviewed well so we gave it a try.

Our first impressions were good. We booked the room over the phone because I like the human touch versus the internet. I found staff very friendly and accommodating. I had to call back to confirm a detail or two, and once to change the dates and I was never given any grief.

It's easy to get there from the highway and is very close to the town so you can park your car and walk everywhere. It's nestled right beside the river and if you get a view room (we got one on the 3rd floor), it's a pleasant view.

Check-in was easy and we were told to park either outside, or, if we wanted underground, we could also use the Banff Park Lodge underground parking. We opted for covered parking and they gave us good directions.

The rooms were nothing fancy but were very clean. We asked for non smoking and no pets and were very satisfied with the room. Small updates to keep things maintained were noted. The bed was comfortable and there were a few pillow options to choose from.

Cleaning / building staff were friendly and always acknowledged you.

The other perk about staying here was the ability to use the Banff Park Lodge amenities for free (Pool, Jacuzzi, Steam room & Gym).

In summary, I can highly recommend this hotel as a good best bang for buck option.

Room Tip: Try and get a view room, 3rd floor, and don't forget to ask about being able to use the Banff Pa...
1 Thank Lagin_Vancouver
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This is a great little hotel. Close to downtown and restaurants. Make sure you book a river view room since the view is terrific. The other rooms overlook the parking lot - not so great view! Price is not low, but is fair for Banff. We have stayed there twice before for a couple of days each time and are going again next week. It's good to know what you will encounter before you leave home.

1 Thank rflleisch
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Chose this hotel for 2 night stay during trip to the Rockies as good value (other rooms in Banff were more expensive). Good points: The hotel is in a very good central location - restaurants and shops of Banff Avenue 5 mins walk. Friendly staff Excellent buffet breakfast included at the sister hotel (more upmarket) next door which was included in bed & breakfast rate. Downside: Beds were the most uncomfortable out of the 11 hotels stayed in during the holiday - poor quality mattresses - both had bad backs in mornings. Rooms a bit on the small side and really quite tired - drain smell from sink in vanity unit. Overall not bad - average and for price paid probably couldn't expect much more - perhaps splash out on more upmarket sister hotel if you can afford??

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank grh55556
andrewmagor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited my brother in Calgary a few years back and we took a trip to Banf so that I could snowboard for a few days. This please was a perfect place and location. When you drive out of Banf town towards the slopes this is the last Hotel in the town that you pass, and when you travel back, its obviously the first. It has a covered lay-by in front of it for the transfer buses to stop at, meaning you're the last on the bus on your way to the sloes, and the first off it on the way back. That's 5 stars for location in my book. Being next to the Bow River with an easy walk to all the hustle of Banf town either along the riverside or through the streets, reaffirms it's great location score.

It is not a palace, but it's not basic either. It's good North American three star accommodation in my book. I didn't sample all of it's facilities so I couldn't tell you if it has anything that would drag it up to 4 star. However, the rooms are huge and great value for money. I stayed in a family room with my brother and his family, they had a huge room with two double beds for him and the kids, and I had a room of my own with a double bed, Tv etc. But this was all one 'two-room' family room. And I'm sure it was little over $100 CAD on 29th December.

It was clean, comfortable, warm, had great facilities, parking, great location, helpful staff, tourist information and help buying ski&bus passes and good value for money.

If you look at my other reviews you'll notice I score quite highly, as I am doing here also. This is probably because I do my research online before I stay anywhere and I also don't fuss over the little things. And above all, I remember what I paid for my room, and set my expectations accordingly.

Room Tip: The family rooms have three double (or possibly queen) sized beds.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family