“Close to town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bow View Lodge

You added Bow View Lodge to your Saves list
Bow View Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   228 Bow Avenue | Box 339, Banff, Banff National Park, Alberta T1L 1A5, Canada   |
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Banff
“Close to town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just one night as we were passing through Banff. The hotel itself is a bit run down and needs a bit of a refurbishment but that didn't really bother us as we didn't spend much time in the room. However, the bed was extremely uncomfortable (unless you like rock hard matresses!) and we could hear freight trains going past blaring their horns at all hours of the night which constantly woke us up. This is no fault of the hotel but if you are a light sleeper, I suggest staying somewhere else! The room was fairly cheap though, only $114 for a nice lake view.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
South East,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The rooms are a little dated and the corridors are a little dark, but it was a reasonable price and if you get a river view it is quite a nice hotel in a good location. I'd stay here again, as it is value for money compared to most other hotels in Banff,

Room Tip: Get a river view for a few extra $
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was my first experience in a hotel in a Canadian national park. I have stayed at many places in American national parks which award one company a monopoly to manage concessions and lodging in each park. I was blown away by Bow View Lodge.

It was CLEAN! And didn't have any old room/old carpet/old sheet smells. In fact, the decor was relatively new and quite nice, if simple. It had a TV! And a hair dryer! I didn't use either but marveled at its presence. We did enjoy the little table and two chairs, though, which apparently, is a luxury item for many US national park lodges. We had a view of the parking lot from the second floor but the breeze was so crisp and there was so much greenery around, I barely noticed it.

I loved the location of the Bow View Lodge. It is next to a nice river-side walking path, 2 blocks to a grocery store, and about a 5-10 minute walk to the many restaurants of "downtown" Banff.

I would absolutely stay at Bow View again and again. In fact, we stayed at a "nicer" hotel for the third night down the street (prior reservations, not a reflection of Bow View) but I would go back to Bow View.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel is located in a quiet area and is a very short walk to downtown. Originally we were going to stay for one night, but after seeing the room we decided to stay 2 nights. We stayed in a King bedroom with a view of the Bow River. Staff was very friendly and were more than eager to answer all of our questions. The only problem we had is that the entertainment centre was in front of the window and blocked part of the view. Will definitely stay at the Bow View again!

Room Tip: Get a river view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Parabiago, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We spent one night here in August 2011 and we were happy with our choice. For the price paid, the comforts we got couldn't have been higher. Our room had a huge soft bed, a sofa-bed (which we did not use), a dining table and a very large window. The location was also very pleasant, just near the river and quite far (about 5 mins walking) from the too much crowded main road. Unfortunately I didn't feel so well during the night (maybe something I ate) but having a clean, well-sized bathroom and a comfy room greatly helped me in recovering quickly. We did not have time to take a swim in the swimming pool located in the nearby sister lodge, but from the pictures I saw it should have been fine. Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This review relates to room #219.
We chose this hotel as it is owned by the Banff Park Lodge and you can use the restaurants and leisure facilities provided in the other hotel.
The room is a good size but overcrowded with furniture including a sofa bed. The king size bed was very comfortable, the shower hot and with pressure and the coffee maker a bonus. The only drawback was paying for Wi-Fi

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here knowing the reviews about the dated decor. Yes, it's all true. However I slept well and had everything I needed to enjoy my Banff trip. I am very particular about how clean a room should be and this met my expectations. I had a regular two double bed rooms that faced half parking lot, half tree lined street. The beds were fine to sleep in, I liked the fridge and plenty of place to put my stuff. Having a couch in the room was a nice touch.

The staff here very helpful and accommodating. The best part of this trip was that I could stay in a great walking distance location in Banff without paying an arm and a leg. Being right on the Bow River was nice for morning walks.

They have a small surface parking lot which is free. I saw from another review that we could use the adjacent underground parking lot from the sister hotel, I will do that next time I return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bow View Lodge? Share your experiences!